www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old January 16th, 2008, 21:56   #1
danielhf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32/42/49
Default Thought: "dealers" to trust/not trust thread?

So maybe I missed it already, or maybe this has come up, but why don't we have a thread dedicated to dealers that have done disservices to us and our beloved TDI's (or somehow done something properly to you/your TDI)?

Before everyone jumps on me, yes, I have seen the thread talking about which dealers to trust for knowing the proper oil for the 2004+ PD motor. This is a bit too specific. It would be nice to have a thread (maybe even a sticky) with a list of dealers by state that are good or bad with TDI's. The original post can have an edited list, and people could scroll through the post to find the specific story about a particular dealer to learn more.

I think this would be very beneficial. When I had my first TDI, I wasn't sure where to take it in Milwaukee, WI (thanks to TDItony and a particularly detrimental experience at the dealer, I now know to go to jasonTDI). I had lurked on TDIclub, but I did not happen to see the trusted mechanics thread, my loss. I understand that we have the trusted mechanics thread, but this isn't enough. For all of those who will be rejoicing behind the wheel of a 2008 common rail Jetta (maybe even Passat) TDI, wouldn't it be nice to know where to get your warranty jobs done? I know if I were to invest in a new TDI, I wouldn't want to take my chances with such a costly investment.

Maybe this is in too much of a negative spirit for a post, but I do think it would be helpful. This would not only be for the bad dealers, but the good ones as well. I know that these seemingly mythical VW dealerships actually exist (at least I want to believe).

Thoughts on this? Or maybe you want to show me the exact post that I speak of creating already on TDIclub and make me look like an idiot .

--
02 Reflex Silver Golf Variant TDI - TOTALLED!
danielhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:21   #2
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

There were 596 VW dealerships in 2007. A list of the good VW dealerships might number in the double-digits... or maybe not.
'03 Golf with 736k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:53   #3
danielhf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32/42/49

Well, maybe not simply a good vs bad dealer list. I think it would be nice just to have an original post that gets edited each time a new dealership (broken down alphabetically by state) is commented on with a simple one word comment corresponding to a specific documented experience at the dealership (so that if there is more than one comment regarding a single dealership the two don't get confused). Comments such as excellent, good, satisfactory, poor, detrimental. You get the idea. We could also turn the single-word comment into a hyperlink linking to a single-post view of the post that corresponds to the comment. Wow, that sounds confusing and poorly worded .

With the specific post concerning the dealer later in the thread, people who are questioning going to a specific dealer can make an informed decision. For example, if I read that the dealer in my area (Dealer X) did a satisfactory job on a warranty window-regulator repair and didn't seem to create any new problems, I can infer that this dealer might be OK with most simple non-TDI drivetrain-related repairs. On the same note, it tells me what I don't know about Dealer X. As people populate the list, and give valuable descriptions of their experiences at various dealers across NA, we can be more informed of what specific dealers can and can't do.

The list wouldn't necessarily be a good vs. bad list, but an informational utility to protect our cars and save us time.

--
02 Reflex Silver Golf Variant TDI - TOTALLED!
danielhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:09   #4
Bora-chiara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49-51

Here in Boise, it recently switched ownership from a local somewhat trusted to Lithia. Kinda a thrown up in a day kind of shop and I say not to trust. Not very knowlegable. I needed a new VSS i said I do not have ABS. They told me there's only the sensors on each wheel = very expensive. I said what about the single one on top of the Tranny? Oh it doesn't exist. Hmm, I have that part now. I get different answers and extremely high prices, and advice that is far fetched. I have to say, at least for this one, NOT.
Bora-chiara is offline   Reply With Quote