Need some buying advice

123c

TDI
Looking for one at this time
I found this on Craigslist, and it is in my price range: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/401539368.html

I haven't contacted the owner about it yet, but just wondering what you all thought about it. I've been lurking around here for a few years, and know it will cost a $1,000-$2,000 to get these things back into order, but I know that is true with any German car.

I know the windshield is going to be $300-$500, and what ever module for the locks and windows is going to be $150-$300 maybe more if it is other stuff.

I also looked at the value on KBB, and in fair condition, it is listed at $7700, while same condition on Edmunds.com, it is listed at around $5500. I am thinking if it checks out, I could try offering around $6500-$7000, however the car is located 3 hours away from me, and it will probably be sold by the time I have the time to look at it.

So I was just curious to see what you all thought about it.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Looks like a fair price to me. Seeing it needs a timing belt done (belt, rollers, water pump, etc.) you probably can use that as wiggle room, but at that price I doubt it will be around a long time...

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
HEY, 123C, where you located at? I'm here in Spokane. If you have the know-how to fix some of the things yourself, it might be worth it. The mileage is high, but we all know that these cars can last forever if well taken care of. Depending on where you life, have a guru look at it and see what they think. Make sure the clutch is in good shape. the price seems a little high, but people have been getting insidious prices for these cars. Check www.nadaguides.com for a more true value of the car.

123c

TDI
I'm located in Wenatchee, and I think I am capable of fixing a lot of things on these types of cars, except for the timing belt. I think I will hold out for a couple of months until the price of diesel goes up some, and people will start selling these cars cheaper. I tend to see 2 or 3 cars a month in this price range, so I might find a better car at the same price or less.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
I love Wenatchee. I actually grew up in Okanogan... As for the strategy on the cars, you'll see that they tend to sell much higher than standard gassers because of the economy. I would say, try to find one with the least amount of problems, within your budget, and try to make a deal with the seller. There are cars to be found out there, but they can take some time to come across. Also, if you need to ever do the TB, we've got a local Spokanite that has all the proper tools. I've got a two car garage, and access to air tools. You're always more than welcome to come and do the work here, if necessary. There's another local guy who's done a nightmare change, and got through it okay. as long as the car runs and drives okay, but yet still needs a TB change, don't let that scare you. The kit, from most places, runs around $300. Don't let a stealership do the change for you...

123c

TDI
No, the price is still the same, it was listed at $8500, but the seller said in the ad that it would be considered fair condition on KBB, and would be the fair condition value on KBB. A few months ago there was a 1999.5 for the same price that had recent timing belt and a few other things replaced, but that one went in about a day...

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Get clarification on the oil change interval. It should be every 10K miles if they use an approved diesel oil. That is important to verify. Also ask about the timing belt, if it was done. The MPG indicate that the car is running well. The 5 speeds should get from 46-55 MPG. The intake may need to be cleaned, if they have not done that. Not a difficult job. Worth taking a look.

123c

TDI
I know I will get flamed for this, but I have noticed that some of the first generation Priuses are now in my price range, and I might consider one as well, if I can't find a decent Golf or Jetta. I should probably sell my truck first though, so I might have a while yet before I buy anything :rolleyes:

Right now I guess it is a toss up...

123c

TDI
I ended up buying a 1999 Corolla base model at the local Toyota dealer, as they gave me an awesome deal on the trade in on for my truck, and I got a so-so deal on the Corolla. I think I will hold out, and get a Jetta or Golf in about 2 years, by then the prices won't be as crazy, as there will be more diesel choices on the market.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
Congrats on the 1999 Corolla! I'm very preferential to the VW's, due primarily to safety and economy issues. Good luck with the car and keep your eyes open for a good TDI!