www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old May 19th, 2016, 18:45   #46
Marsden

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

My 2009 Jetta TDI has started throwing the P047C code.

My question is, how critical is it to address this? Per statements from VW, my vehicle year will be subject to buy-back rather than fixing the NOx emission issue, with something scheduled to be finalized with the courts and the agencies June 21. I'm figuring the vehicle lifetime I have to worry about only extends six more months, -ish, and I don't want to drop another several hundred dollars on it if I don't have to. I do have the $500 VW dealership debit card to use, but I figure most of that will be absorbed by the dealer mark-up over what my regular mechanic would charge; plus, I had given the card to my girlfriend in the notion she could get tires with it, which the dealers seem to be not terribly overpriced for.

I don' t know what the two sensors in question actually control; I thought I'd seen something elsewhere in the threads on things clogging up if this code isn't attended to, but can't find that reference now.

Any thoughts on whether I can get away with ignoring the code for 6 months would be appreciated, but please: no wagering. ;-)
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 19:20   #47
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
Any thoughts on whether I can get away with ignoring the code for 6 months would be appreciated, but please: no wagering. ;-)
When these sensors fail your car will generally do one of two things (depending on which sensor fails and how it fails).
1) Your DPF will try to continuously regenerate, because the ECU believes that a regen is required. The main problem with this scenario would probably be lower mileage.
2) Your DPF will not regenerate at all. I have seen this happen. Your DPF will clog up in a while. How long this takes will depend on how and how much you drive. However, I doubt that it would last for 6 months without a regeneration.

You have to decide how to proceed, but a sensor is a lot cheaper than a DPF.

Have Fun!

Don
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:10   #48
meerschm
Veteran Member

If you want to manage the error, you will probably want to keep a close eye on the rest of the system.

a regular scan with VCDS would be advised, to let you know if the error is (or is not) keeping the DPF from regenerating.

I would be happy to help (read your car's info with VCDS) if you are close to the DC beltway and want to venture into the VA swamps once in a while.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:48   #49
Marsden

Thanks Don and Mike.

I seem to be in Don's scenario 2, with no regen. I guess I'll just pony up the money to get it fixed, but thanks, Mike, for the offer of VCDS use.

The leaks on the emissions settlement suggested that there would be a 2 year window for taking the buy-back offer, so maybe I can stretch out my car's lifespan to reduce the cost-per-mile of the fix. Not keen on contributing to asthmatic kids choking out, though.
Old May 28th, 2016, 13:47   #50
Marsden

Took vehicle into my regular mechanic and got both sensors replaced for $263 plus tax, confirming my suspicion that almost all of the $500 VW dealer debit card would have been consumed by dealer mark-up, based on $650 that regidog was quoted to start this thread.
Old May 28th, 2016, 17:45   #51
meerschm
Veteran Member

nice to drive without dashboard warnings....

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 18:29   #52
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
nice to drive without dashboard warnings....
...and it is also nice to know that your DPF is properly regenerating so you don't have to replace it next month.

Have Fun!

Don
Old June 6th, 2016, 15:40   #53
k^2
Veteran Member

Mine have also failed few months ago. Replaced both of them myself.
k^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 07:56   #54
rgmullins

Can someone here tell me how to adapt the new sensors using OBD Eleven? Someone earlier had posted instructions on how to reset them with VCDS and I was told by the folks at Deutsche Auto Parts where I bought it that the procedure would be the same, but the menus are not the same. Any help would be appreciated.
rgmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2018, 13:23   #55
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmullins View Post
Can someone here tell me how to adapt the new sensors using OBD Eleven? Someone earlier had posted instructions on how to reset them with VCDS and I was told by the folks at Deutsche Auto Parts where I bought it that the procedure would be the same, but the menus are not the same. Any help would be appreciated.
Bit of a bump from the dead, but I'd also like to know about adapting the new sensors with OBDeleven. Such a handy device at a great price point but man the support is the worst.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote