Smoke to no smoke?

drexer13

TDI
2004 Jetta
For the last month-and-a-half my Jetta has bellowed an impressive cloud of smoke every time I start it. The smoke cleared up when I started to drive so I didn't worry much about it.
I hopped into my car this morning to go to work and when I started it there wasn't any smoke. After work (11 hours later) I started the car for my commute home and again no smoke. Is it weird that I'm more concerned about the car not smoking than I was when it started? Anyway does anyone know if this is a sign of bad things to come?

drexer13

TDI
2004 Jetta
There wasn't much wind this morning but earlier this week we had some pretty good gusts and I could still see the smoke.the smoke looks blue. I'm pretty sure it's oil. I figured it was probably oil leaking past the valve seals while the motor was off or oil getting into the turbo charge pipe throu a pcv. Now that it's just stopped I'm not sure what it could be.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Check your charge air cooler for oil, clean as necessary. And keep an eye on your oil level.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't know what it is, but mine does this too. 1 out of every 3 or 4 starts it smokes. No discernible pattern. I suspect injectors, I did the DP straight.