2006 BRM Diesel Smoke On Start

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I just bought a 2006 TDI Jetta 5-speed with 208k miles for $2400 (talked him down from $3k)
When I start the car after it has warmed up I get a puff of white smoke from the exhaust.
And a few times the engine would stop mid crank on start.
Basically it would fire then stop, but will start on the next crank.
This is an intermittent problem (about 60% of starts)
Fixes/Problems:
-Oil pan was leaking steadily so I patched the hair-line crack with JB-Weld.
(Going to put in a new pan soon)
I now have to trace down a very small leak on the back of the motor.
(Possibly valve cover or tandem pump gasket)
-Timing belt change (dieselgeek kit)
I am working on getting a Vag Com to check timing. And leaning towards this causing my smoke issue.
-Hose to from the vac tee to the brake booster was split. (turbo was not actuating and the brake booster was not working) easy fix
-Performed a diesel purge/changed fuel filter.
-Disassembled the drivers door actuator and lubed it up (PO had put a rubber band on it in an attempt to fix lol)

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
If you're having starting issues when it's warm/hot your starter motor is weak and needs replacing. Myself as well as several others that I have assisted on this board with hot start issues were resolved with a Bosch reman starter. The difference is amazing. You'll notice less smoke with the new starter was well as the engine is turning over much faster.

Oil leaks on the back of the motor typically come from the crankcase vapor collection of oil from the turbo inlet above the heater hoses.

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks! I will look for a good Bosch starter.
Can I just tighten the oil inlet on the turbo?
Or does it need new gaskets/crush washers?

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sorry to double post.
Got off the freeway today and car was running fine if a little sluggish.
Stopped at an intersection and as I took off, the car dies... Thought it was me not giving it enough pedal, cranked it up and tried to take off... it died again....
Cranked it up again and tried to rev it in neutral.... it died as soon as I touched the pedal.
Pushed her across the intersection and into a TGI Friday's.
I cranked it again and revved it getting some hesitation and a big plume of smoke.
Car ran just fine and drove it out of there.
I love this car but I am starting to question this affair.

dzl_nator

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI
Once you get VCDS, check for EGR codes. They may be accompanied by MAF codes. In my case, the symptoms you describe were the result of a N18 valve (EGR) not closing properly. The valve was open at start up when it should be closed. EGR gas moves backwards up toward the MAF. Engine doesn't get boost, and not enough oxygen, and smokes and dies, so on. Then it closes, and the car starts, and runs until the next episode. Mine finally quit and the car would not run above idle.
If you pull the N18, the valve should be completely closed.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
dzl nator is right on the money here. I’ve seen this several times on BRM’s. The EGR valve fails in a way where it fails to close fully. When that happens it chokes on its own exhaust and can’t even stay running. I’ve seen VW dealerships diagnose cars with this issue with a bad turbo.

Even if you don’t have VCDS yet you can troubleshoot this particular problem. Remove the EGR valve from the EGR valve housing with the T25(ish) bolts. I think there are 3 of them. See if you can see light through the valve. If you can or can’t, force it closed with your thumbs pushing hard and reinstall WITHOUT connecting the harness back to it. Leave it u plugged and see how it does. You’ll have an EGR CEL of course but it will run fine with it unplugged. If it still runs like ass you have another issue. That issue does cause smoke when there shouldn’t be any.

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks guys.
I removed both the asv and egr yesterday. The egr valve housing was coked up a little and the valve stem had some deposits.
Removed the plastic cover over the electric motor and there was a thick later of soot covering everything underneath. I can only assume that the seal has failed on the stem of the egr valve.
Cleaned everything up and the dying problem has been resolved!
I suspect this is where my exhaust smell was coming from in the cabin, although it could be my intercooler flapper seal as seeing something similar on the forums.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Smell in the cabin is usually the EGR cooler changeover valve shaft seal, yes. Frank Irving has a permanent fix for that while keeping the EGR cooler in place.

Last edited:

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Went to my Dad's and got the car up on ramps to check my EGR cooler flow flapper thing.
I held my fingers right next to it and felt no exhaust flow. The seal seems good.
Also, I think it was replaced as the coolant lines were messed with and whoever worked on it left the old hose clamps....
And car died on my again at the same damn intersection after taking the freeway home.
Just ordered a new EGR valve made by Pierburg.
And on a side note I am trying to track down the oil leak which is still there after replacing the valve cover gasket.

Pics Below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lwdjr2kiRajnA_fy8Oa0GxbjH1w9gkUm
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SX4BBBKTRljhyDGk4kD053adDHkKRwbS

Last edited:

06Jetta-Lane

TDI
'14 Passat TDI
I'd love to hear what fixes the plume of smoke on start up. My BRM does the same thing without the stutter start and random dying issue.

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well guys the smoke on start ended up being the turbo.
Started getting a light bearing squeal on spooling and that led to smoke out of the exhaust on acceleration. I ran to the back of the car and it was definitely burning oil.
Ordered a $200 turbo cartridge from Ebay..... I know.... but they were in Florida And I needed it by the weekend. One set of snap ring pliers later and it is all good.
And the old turbo looked to be original the BV39 Borg Warner (KKK) and had significant play at 210k.
During the swap I left the EGR cooler on the block and only had to remove the passenger CV axle to get the manifold/turbo out.
Next time I'm buying the whole turbo with exhaust manifold... that snap ring was a BEAST.
Sidenote: There was no oil in the lower inter cooler hose.

Last edited:

06Jetta-Lane

TDI
'14 Passat TDI
Good to know! I have small oil leak that appears to be coming from the turbo somewhere. I'll be purchasing the PD140 in the near future hopefully. Thanks for the info