Steering wheel lock for GSW

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Really? With an alarm and immobilizer system you need a steering wheel lock? I used one of those in the 70s, but I thought they were long gone.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Maybe some folks think that just having one of these hanging on the steering wheel might prevent a broken window...

Really? With an alarm and immobilizer system you need a steering wheel lock? I used one of those in the 70s, but I thought they were long gone.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Neither of those work while the engine is running

Why would you leave the engine running and the car unlocked in an area you don’t trust people? Then again, would you leave the car running and have one of these locks on there? Would be far easier to turn the car off and lock it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that bigb is young and this is his first "good" car.

See this link how the pro's get rid of the useless steering wheel lock bar in eight seconds.

Pro thieves

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that bigb is young and this is his first "good" car.

See this link how the pro's get rid of the useless steering wheel lock bar in eight seconds.

Pro thieves
Thanks for the compliment, I guess if you consider 63 young than I am young! Actually I have owned dozens of vehicles and have 4 at the moment, a 2005 Chevy Express bought new, a 2002 F-350 Powerstroke diesel in near mint condition (the last of the best engines 7.3), a 2008 Infiniti FX 35 like new just hit 40K miles and the GSW because I always wanted a TDI and when I found out it was my last chance I bought one.
Other than my F-350 which is among the most stolen vehicles in the country I am not worried about my other vehicles being stolen. No, what I am after is just a measure to keep an opportunist from jumping in a running car and taking off. Why do I want to leave it run? Well I have owned a number of turbo diesels and one thing I hate to do is shut down after a long highway cruise when the oil temp is high and the egts are high, the transmission is hot, the coolant is hot, and oh, the cabin is nice and cool! Heat soak is not good! So when I stop to refuel I would rather let it run, or when I run into the mini mart for a bottle of water I'd rather let it run. Even if I am present, refueling and paying at the pump, you just never know, and I'd rather not carry a sidearm:eek: (But I will if I think I need to)
So I got OBDeleven and can now lock the doors while running and the club will be a visual deterrent to prevent a smashed window.

I won't leave it run often, but the few times I will I want it to stay put. The world is full of crack heads who will do anything to get their next dose, and it's only getting worse. Where I live you can't even get the police to respond to anything less than assault and homicide and the criminals know it.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Remind me to never drive in AZ again!

I still have the sting of a $350 red light camera ticket seared into my brain from when we visited Tucson in 2008.

You have kessy (keyless entery)? If so you can code it to be able to lock the car with the fob with it running, not sure if that works for old school keyed cars, but then you'd need to carry two fobs around.

Also even though you live in AZ (and i'm sure its hot out there), there are electric coolant pumps/fans and quality oil in your car, no need to "cool down" the turbo like its 1980, just coast to a stop and park it, you'll be fine, the turbo is so small heat is pretty quickly disapated.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Remind me to never drive in AZ again!

I still have the sting of a $350 red light camera ticket seared into my brain from when we visited Tucson in 2008.

You have kessy (keyless entery)? If so you can code it to be able to lock the car with the fob with it running, not sure if that works for old school keyed cars, but then you'd need to carry two fobs around.

Also even though you live in AZ (and i'm sure its hot out there), there are electric coolant pumps/fans and quality oil in your car, no need to "cool down" the turbo like its 1980, just coast to a stop and park it, you'll be fine, the turbo is so small heat is pretty quickly disapated.
All the speed/red light cameras got voted out.....I for one was in favor of them, at least the red light cameras. It's an epidemic, out of control. Red means 3 more cars here, usually doing at least 60, God help anyone trying to turn left.

I still cool my turbo in my 2002 Powerstroke, I had to replace it at 160K with a leaking bearing seal. I still believe it's better to let it run for a quick stop. Even with good oil I don't want any chance of it coking with things that hot. Yes I did code my key fob to lock while running.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
For me it was a .5 second yellow making a left hand turn on dedicated turn late, and not being familiar with the area not blasting through an intersection.

4 of you're CR TDI turbos could fit inside that power stroke turbo, bigger mass longer to cool down.

A cool thing would be just monitor EGTs to then give you a peace of mind. Look into P3 gauges, it'll allow you to monitor 3 of the EGT sensors.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
use VCDS or whatever these kids are using now to adjust the settings to allow you to lock the car with the key fob while the engine is running. It's some adaptation settings. I'm not sure if you can engage the alarm, but I know for sure it can be locked