Retrofit Active Info Display / Virtual Cockpit

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I would not be satisfied with that resolution. Even if you're a low-conflict type personality I'd still suggest a polite call in to our state's AG office.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Oh - I don't like the Golf R "Tube_Version"...hate that the numbers/lettters are "italicized" (on a slant instead of straight, unformatted).

(BTW, I don't think anyone here gets too bent out of shape with linking to other forums, particularly Ross-Tech; Uwe Ross is a member here and has contributed a lot over the years.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I wonder if an engine module adaptation map of the same vehicle would be more helpful. Since the engine module is throwing the fault,it could be an adaptation there is expecting a different type bulb... kind of like when switching to LED taillights.

I paid actual attention today and the glow plug light does flash at startup with the others. In 4 trips today I had the CEL twice... mid-high 60s all day, completely cold engine before each start. I saw the glow plug light flash each time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - that sounds a little different from my situation. I do get the glow plug light on every start-button press (starting the car or now) for a split second (along with all of the other dummy lights), but I've only seen the CEL twice.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
The glow plug fault is randomly gone again. Got my grayed out map switching button figure it out. "Byte 19" according to obdeleven which is basically meaningless, as are most of the descriptions in obdeleven but I'll check with vcds and see what that setting is for.

I changed the driving profiled for range remaining to 5.5l/100km from 4.4l/100km. This gave me a realistic looking distance to empty with a full tank I'm not exactly sure what the tank version long coding does but I left it at 3. Filled up today and will fill up again at exactly 250 miles and then do the math to set this accurately.

Since the range remaining changes depending on how you're driving I wonder if that tank characteristic curve is actually dictating an adjustment to this base value.

I'm officially done with obdeleven by the way. It's kind of nice but I'm now showing a 56 control module for radio instead of 5f, no idea why. I'm really losing trust in the descriptions of various adaptations and long coding parameters. It still shows as 5f in vcds.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My assumption had been that "Driving profiled for range remaining" was a dynamic calculation...it used used your last 'x' km or minutes/hours to do an estimate on how much further you're going to be able to go. And that *might* be true(?), as the last drive in the car (~90minutes, going 80-90km/h) showed an average of 4.8L/100km on the instrument cluster.

Mine was set at 7.7L/100km (before I changed the "tank_version" or whatever that setting was) when I initially installed the cluster, but now it's sitting at 4.8L/100km (which is a bit too optimistic). I changed it to 5.2, which is what my "extended" and "since refuel" are showing - and my range (sitting in the driveway) immediately went from 270km to 250km.

I also noticed that there are a number of measuring blocks that are looking at your last FOUR tanks of fuel to (presumably?) cross-check calculated fuel usage and range.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Oh I see, so I manually adjusted the value that the car would adjust on its own. That makes sense, after a little highway driving yesterday be range had gone up from 510 for the tank to 535. This is still a little optimistic for me. I'm getting somewhere around 475 per tank, putting about 11 gallons in.

Ever since moving in October the vast majority of my driving is short trips which has killed my mileage (relatively speaking that is, my Mk4 does 240 miles per tank with the same driving pattern and takes premium which is $4/gal in LA). Have you run a tank down to the light since installing the AID? I haven't yet but I am curious to see what the mileage and estimated range is when the light comes on. Old dash gave the light at ~50 miles estimated.

The increased map size setting is pretty sweet. Oh hello glow plug light CEL, I missed you this weekend, haha

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have not run the tank down very low yet - maybe this tank.

Interesting with the glow plug CEL: I rarely see the CEL, but every time I look at the Engine module in VCDS, the glow plug error is there.

Found mention of the error code in this thread (on a Passat), but it seems highly unlikely that both you and I, only after replacing our clusters with AID, would develop the same )2 or pressure sensor error.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
It's a curious fault. Just like you I have the fault even when the CEL isn't on. Would be really strange for both of us to have developed the same issue at the same time. I have noticed the glow plug light doesn't flash every time I start the car. Would be interesting to see if the CEL only pops when the light doesn't flash at all.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Let me first say I have not run a scan but...

It seems I can cause or get rid of the check engine light at will now. What I noticed is that the glow plug light comes on when you switch ignition on, for whatever amount of time is required, or just flashes if not necessary.

I don't have KESSY. Starting from a when the CEL was present. Turn the car to on (let the glow plug light do whatever it needs to do), then start the car, after 2-3 starts the CEL goes out. But if I go "too" quickly from off-on-start the glow plug light doesn't even flash and back comes my CEL.

I tend to sit in the car with it completely off listening to the radio and when I'm ready to to go I just turn the key all the way to start. A bad habit I know, especially for a diesel. But on the few occasions when the car has needed the glow plugs I just have a delayed crank until the plugs do their thing. My car starting habit didn't change when I got the aid but the engine module seems more sensitive to the glow plug light for whatever reason.

I will keep paying attention to it and report back if something changes. It feels really nice to go a few days without the CEL. Now I just have to buy another cluster so I can get the odometer correct, haha.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As an update, my "fuel is low; want to check for nearby stations" warning / prompt comes on now at 90km (55mi) remaining. I think it was 70km before I changed clusters, but I don't care either way as I'm rarely more than that distance away from a station.

While I don't get the CEL from the glow plugs (haven't seen it since that one time about a month ago), every time I do a VCDS check for fault codes, I do see that same
Code:
4971 - Glow Plug/Heater Indicator Circuit 
          P0381 00 [175] - Implausible Signal
I'm not losing too much sleep about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Interesting. Would you mind posting long coding and an adaptation map for your instrument panel, engine module, and maybe infotainment? I would like to compare it to mine, which I'll post tomorrow. I know there will be some differences because you have an sel but I'm curious.

I got the MIB prompt concurrent with my gas light coming on at an estimated range of 45 miles I think. But if the MIB only gives the prompt based on the gas light coming on (assuming the gas light comes on based on measured fuel in the tank) then the estimated range could vary quite a bit. If I've been driving on the highway when that light comes on it might show a range of 70 miles but if I'm in stop-and-go LA traffic that range could be 30.

My check engine light popped up again today despite my deliberate attempt to avoid it, which worked for over a week. Just like you, I don't care about the code but I want to get rid of the light. Car is due for the 30,000 mile service pretty soon. If the check engine light is on when I take it (or comes on while they have it) they're going commence "troubleshooting." I suppose I could just tell them to ignore it but I don't know how that plays with my warranty (or whatever is left of it considering I have the Kerma tune, but that's a different discussion).

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll try to get to it; I'm in the middle of a turbo replacement on a friend's Golf and tracking some oil seepage on my brother's NB, so it might be a while.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
oh wow that's very cool. i could see myself wanting this one day soon.

i'd have to pay someone as i'm not going to start messing with electronics myself

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Really, you're not messing with electronics; if you're comfortable with VCDS and have ever installed a car stereo in any car, you can do this.
(*caveat: assuming you have a happy relationship with your friendly neighbourhood VW dealer, and a tech there who's geeky enough to go off-script and figure stuff out. :D)

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Really, you're not messing with electronics; if you're comfortable with VCDS and have ever installed a car stereo in any car, you can do this.
(*caveat: assuming you have a happy relationship with your friendly neighbourhood VW dealer, and a tech there who's geeky enough to go off-script and figure stuff out. :D)
hahahah that's what i need.

it will be a few years before i get close to this mod.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
So I was looking at long coding of my radio whole trying to help a fellow TDI driver on the vortex that just (mostly) completed the mib2 retrofit... And figured while I had vcds open I would poke around in the engine module, still fighting the check engine light for glow plug indicator.

Saw two things that where of interest: A glow plug module output test and glow plug module basic settings. Against my better judgment, as I need to drive my car to work in the morning, I attempted both of them haha. Both gave me a "service not supported in active session" message. As my glow plug light does work I suspect the output test would be fine if it would let me run it. The basic settings is the one I'm most curious about.

I'm wondering if my old HEX+CAN interface is holding me back. I can't pinpoint them but I know there were settings that I used to be able to change that I can no longer change in the latest version of vcds, in the BCM I believe. I've got a co-worker that wants to buy my vcds for his 2009 GTI so I may sell it and upgrade.

I'm about a thousand miles away from the 30k service. I think I'm going to flash back to stock for the next couple tanks to rule out Kerma tune as the cause of my issue.

I wonder if I can convince my dealer to run the glow plug output test and basic settings for me... maybe I can guilt them into it since they are the ones who didn't set my odometer properly. May also have them replace my gateway with this highline version I've had sitting in my garage for a couple months.

One way or another I'm getting rid of that light, haha. might even let them do Phase II which I suspect would also mean updating my engine firmware to the latest available.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another member over at the Ross-Tech forums told me that the glow plug light is to be expected when we're turning the car "on" without starting it; something about the glow plug circuit getting energized, but then not utilized....and it throws an error.

With that said, though, I did that numerous times before installing my AID, and didn't get the CEL. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Interesting... I I can't say I remember doing or not doing that before the retrofit but I definitely never do it now because I'm always trying not to get the cel. But like you I never had a cel before. The first check engine light is ever had with the car running was after the retrofit, never saw one before.

I very purposefully go through my slow ACC-ON-START process every time I drive. This generally prevents the light for me and it always works to get rid of it after a few driving cycles if someone else has been driving and the light is back on. I still can't help but think the module isn't properly registering that the light in the dash is working.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably nothing to do with nothing, but as long as we're talking glow plugs...

(Just a reminder that I have KESSY, so no way for me to "pause" at the "on" position before turning all the way to crank the starter.)

The last few months here (West Coast Canada), my car has seemed to take much longer to fire first thing in the morning, and much longer if it sat for longer - often I don't drive it for a week or more. Like, the engine would crank maybe 3-4sec. before catching.
Once it started, though, any subsequent starts were near-instant.

But lately, it's cooled off here (below 10C / 50F) most of the day, so there is a pause now while the glow plugs cycle, and then the engine turns over and fires immediately.

Nothing to do with the CEL (I think?), but just odd that my car would have trouble starting on a 20C/70F day, and start super-easy on a 5C/40F day.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Flashed back to stock on Friday, did not have the cel at that time. Have just been starting the car like a normal person and don't have the glow plug cel yet but I only drove a few times.

I did however get a cel while driving to work this morning... Databus Error Value Received, EGR Slow Response, and Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance (Air Flow Too High). Maybe something residual from having the tune for the last year plus.

But I also had the Databus Error Value Received fault 44 Steering Assistance module, maybe it's all related. Cleared everything for now, will have to see how it does. I normally have the pending for the glow plugs before the cel shows up so I'll check the counter in a couple days even if the light isn't on.

Also I miss the power!!! Unrelated but completed my stud conversion. Always wanted to but was "motivated" by Costco breaking a lug bolt when I got new tires a couple weeks ago.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
So Jack is on vacation until the 2nd of June, which means my AID is on hold until sometime that week at the earliest, depending on when he is available. It's always tough catching up after a vacation so it may end up being the second week of June.

Have not heard from either of the vendors in Europe about the 8" screen trim that I have on order in brushed silver. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I may place the order for all black trim pieces, and peel off my first-ever vinyl wrap job on the AID bezel.

I'm pretty sure I read that the trim piece that runs across the passenger dash will pop out if pulled hard enough so it can be replaced. But I know door panel pieces are plastic welded in and not really replaceable. I'm concerned with how a mix of trims will look although the steering wheel and e-brake are already gloss black. If I leave the dashboard trim piece (and of course the door panels) brushed silver it would give me a semi complete beltline all the way around the inside of the car which might look okay.

Thoughts?

Did you ever get the 8" trim in brushed silver. Was it for the 8" matte or glass display? Just wondering if they made a brushed silver or aluminum bezel for the 8" glass display.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
As far as I know they do not make brushed silver for the 8" glass display, the only option is gloss black. I did end up receiving two sets of brushed silver for the 8" matte display.

I found brushed aluminum vinyl that is a pretty close match to the stock trim and I used that to wrap the AID trim. It's close enough that I don't even notice anymore. I didn't do as nice a job on the curves as I would like though, it was my first time wrapping anything. So at some point I'll probably take it to a shop and have them wrap it, should be a quick and inexpensive job.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
What's the part number for the 8" matte display? Also, was the matching bezel part number for brushed silver 5G1819728AFDMD?

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Probably nothing to do with nothing, but as long as we're talking glow plugs...

(Just a reminder that I have KESSY, so no way for me to "pause" at the "on" position before turning all the way to crank the starter.)

The last few months here (West Coast Canada), my car has seemed to take much longer to fire first thing in the morning, and much longer if it sat for longer - often I don't drive it for a week or more. Like, the engine would crank maybe 3-4sec. before catching.
Once it started, though, any subsequent starts were near-instant.

But lately, it's cooled off here (below 10C / 50F) most of the day, so there is a pause now while the glow plugs cycle, and then the engine turns over and fires immediately.

Nothing to do with the CEL (I think?), but just odd that my car would have trouble starting on a 20C/70F day, and start super-easy on a 5C/40F day.
Mine is also staying sometimes for days in the garage (about 40-45F when it's between 20-30F outside) without starting. But I don't have that issue. What it does, though, takes longer till first crank (push button and wait for maybe 2-3s to crank but then fires up right away) but I assume that's normal.

In any case, I read about what you're describing. I think I saw more than one thread on the issue, but a quick search gets you here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481340

There are videos too describing the issue and the solution. Though some say it didn't work for them, I seem to recall reading.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the link; nice to know I'm not the only one. :D
FWIW, since it cooled off at home (between -5 to +5C, or 20-40F), this has not happened. And on road trip to SoCal, also didn't happen, even after car was parked for a few days.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
As far as I know they do not make brushed silver for the 8" glass display, the only option is gloss black. I did end up receiving two sets of brushed silver for the 8" matte display.

I found brushed aluminum vinyl that is a pretty close match to the stock trim and I used that to wrap the AID trim. It's close enough that I don't even notice anymore. I didn't do as nice a job on the curves as I would like though, it was my first time wrapping anything. So at some point I'll probably take it to a shop and have them wrap it, should be a quick and inexpensive job.

Do you have a link to the brushed aluminum vinyl that matched pretty closely?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
The part number you posted for the 8" trim is correct, E-acca is your best bet, will take about 3 weeks though. Quite a few stateside vendors said they had it until I placed an order, then it would show pending for a week-ish before they would cancel my order and refund me.

Part number for 8" matte screen (with Nav) is 5G0919606. If you're buying used it will may show up as a Passat screen, don't think any Golf in the states came with the 8" matte. I don't know the part number for the non-nav screen but I think they're harder to find. I took a chance on a $100 as-is screen from eBay, got very lucky... Eurozone Tuning has kits available, quite expensive but you pay for convenience.

Give me a couple days for the vinyl, I have to see exactly which one I used. I ordered like 5 colors but was too lazy to send anything back so they're all in my garage, haha.