BEW PD new lift pump wont start

BarnAgain

TDI
2005.5 MK4,BEW,DMF,DSG New Beetle 1.9 TDI PD
After several longer starts, drove home 40 miles in 10 degrees cold. Last mile engine would not shift from 4th to 5th when it normally would and seemed to lacked power. No lights no trouble codes (checked later) As I pulled in it died and would not start. Tank was 1/3 full and since it was cold I assumed it was gelled. Pulled it into the garage. Small blessing to be home!

Listening for the lift pump and testing found it was failed. New pump installed today and flows checked at the filter, before the Tandem Pump and after. I'm planning to replace the filter even though it flows a steady stream and I don't see bubbles. I may also bypass and plug the t fitting.

ASV good, glow plug lights, CPU gives one code (glow plug 3) that it has for months.. I can see the camshaft turning and all the normal noises when cranked, just never fires, at all, nothing. I am due for the second timing belt so I could check it.

I'm really out of ideas and would greatly appreciate any help. 2005.5 NB 265k original everything, Automatic DSG DMF. Been running fine.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Is the fuel filter primed with the new pump installed?
A faulty crankshaft position sensor could also cause a no-start with no CEL.

BarnAgain

TDI
always check the timing belt for missing teeth

I removed the two clips on the TB cover and lifted it off. Belt looked good and everything was turning. Then I noticed that there were teeth missing! You had to stop it in just the right spot to see. Arrow points to the spot where the teeth are gone, just smooth. There is some belt debris around the bottom crank

Arrow points to missing teeth

I'm hopeful that it didn't crash the valves/pistons, and know it is likely. Since it was running could it have slipped just a bit out of timing, without damage? I can take off the valve cover and see if what it looks like.

Without pulling the head, any suggestions?

I did the org belt change at 130k miles, no damage. I should have done an inspection sooner. Lessons can be learned or repeated. I knew it was due.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
It seems your problem is the belt not the lift pump. I've read where a pd can run with a bad lift pump but it's just harder on the tandem pump. In your original post you mention an IP? Your first belt change 130k and now at 265k. Once was lucky I don't think you were twice lucky. As far as checking without pulling the head I'm in over my head. Possibly turn over by hand and see if you feel any resistance.

BarnAgain

TDI
Thanks, I meant Tandem Pump not injection pump. It still turns over normally. Seems the lift pump may have failed and I didn't notice but it was bad. 100k will be what I do from here out if I get this back on the road.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
You are on the right track with pulling the valve cover and inspecting the lifters for damage. Any spiderwebs and you get to do as the French did and take off the head.

You probably have the timing tools so check to see where your cam is before pulling the belt. Of course in the interest of plain curiosity, if it runs, I wonder what torsion value is right now.

Oh, and buy a lottery ticket. These things usually happen far from home, not in the driveway.

BarnAgain

TDI
how do you think the lifters look for 265k?

Dreaded taking off the cam, however it seems to look pretty good! Lobes look good, all about the same. The lifters show wear and no damage I think. I don't see any spider web or punch/dents showing. The lower cam shells are worn uppers are fine.

Timing marks were close to TDC so the belt (with missing teeth) had not slipped much. I hope that means no bent valves and no head replacement.

I'm really hoping to avoid a cam replacement. Can I just replace the bearing shells and new bolts and be good at least to try the engine? New belt kit, AF & oil change.

next

next

lay out

:eek:

Last edited:

BarnAgain

TDI
back at it after 18 months

Finally back working on it and installed new lifters. When I was setting the cam cap bolts there was a loud snapping sound. The tandem pump metal tab was not even with the cam slot and broke. Will be ordering a new TP and trying again. More carefully.

At this point I can rotate the crank shaft with the cam off and it feels normal, no hard resistance. I think that the valves are not bent or I would not have the strong regular compression. ?

Can I take the broken TP off and but the TB kit on and then the cam shaft? When the new pump gets in that would be the last step before I could test start. Any better order to put it back together? Thanks.