Time to beat a dead horse. GTB selection for BEW.

Which Turbo

• GTB1756VK

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • GTB2260vk

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Wait for potential movement at darkside for GTD

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Your 17/22 is fine. Drive more worry less.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Alright guys, last one I swear. I'm delving into the thought of replacing my current 17/22 for something with more flow and less EGT. I'm planning on towing a small trailer as well so keep that in mind as well. With my current set up the car is solid, drives well spools nice and quick. But on hot days the EGTs are just too much. I'm assuming the pd130 injectors don't aid in this, too much fuel for too little air.

So with my current set up I believe 200whp is within reach pretty easily with a larger turbo. I like the idea of a faster spooling Gtb1756. But I also like the breathing room of the 2260. I had a reply about gtd turbos in another thread but I think that the development is too far away and too custom now for reality. Discuss.

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
As long as you stick with stock 550cc injectors, you will always run into EGT issues if you aim for something like 200whp.....you need stupid (and unsafe) long injection duration for such numbers.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Ok, so taking into account that I kept my stockers a well, I could send them in for a nozzle refit sometime in the future. Say firad +80% or Race 783's. Which turbo would you choose?

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
If you plan to upgrade nozzle in future, for sure grab a gtb2260vk , vklr or latest gen gtd2060 turbo

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
If you need good down low torque for towing and focus on daily driveability I would go for either the cheaper GTB1756V or the more expensive GTD1752VKLR ball bearing unit.

But the GTD1752VKLR would be quite at limit with 230 Bhp, so probably wont do for real 200whp.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
I need to think about it realistically. Stock internals on the BEW are quite robust I know this, but at the end of the day to keep it reliable for years to come I should probably play on the safe side and stay smaller or close to where I'm at now. So I am more leaning towards the 1756vk. I'd love to fit a vklr in there but I'm not into heavy fab work. I'm old, I like things that just work.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
Should I consider the 2056vk as an option?
I have one for sale with 16k miles on it. I never got to use because of dieselgate. I was going to compete in Gridlife Time Attack Series with my car in the next class up from the HPDE+ class I was in last year.
Send me a text 847-613-0969

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
GTB2260vk laggy ? mm not so with all mods like head cam fuel, mine did 277 bhp and 590nm on 1,9 ve , it eat up gearboxes 02A.

500nm at 2200 rpm and 590 at 2450 rpm
spools quikly and make nice daily back then

senso

TDI
Bora Mk4(ALH)
Your Lupo is also a bit lighter than a Passat, that will also play a part in how long it takes to boost due to slower acceleration of the engine.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
500nm at 2200 rpm and 590 at 2450 rpm
spools quikly and make nice daily back then
Quoting torque@RPM demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of turbo lag. What you imply with torque@RPM is boost threshold; turbo lag is only a function of time, that being how long from a start of a load step to requested boost being achieved. This can best be shown with VCDS plots of requested vs. actual MAP, not dyno results or even subjective "spools quickly."

Edit: That said, there is an ideal turbo match for each power level; what is good for one state of tune will not be for another, and there are compromises that arise. No one turbo will ever simultaneously give amazing transient response at the low-end and support 1000 HP and 10,000 RPM, as an example.

A GTB2260VK(LR) is certainly ideal for a certain state of tune - I'd put it between 240-280 HP. But for the OP's express desires to retain quick spool, lower EGT and low boost threshold (for trailer towing) and remaining with PD130 injectors that top out at ~200 HP, the same GTB2260VK(LR) is not ideal. My vote is for a GTD1752VRK first; second choice is GTC1549VZ/BV43D; certainly nothing bigger than a 52mm CW for surge margin taking off from a standstill loaded with a trailer.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
planning on a hybrid bhw/alh for my golf with a gt1749vc, nicktane .275's and 11mm pump ... i've had two of these turbos on the shelf for years, time to put one to use .... should be relatively lag free and as much if not more capable than a 17/22

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Quoting torque@RPM demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of turbo lag. What you imply with torque@RPM is boost threshold; turbo lag is only a function of time, that being how long from a start of a load step to requested boost being achieved. This can best be shown with VCDS plots of requested vs. actual MAP, not dyno results or even subjective "spools quickly."

Edit: That said, there is an ideal turbo match for each power level; what is good for one state of tune will not be for another, and there are compromises that arise. No one turbo will ever simultaneously give amazing transient response at the low-end and support 1000 HP and 10,000 RPM, as an example.

A GTB2260VK(LR) is certainly ideal for a certain state of tune - I'd put it between 240-280 HP. But for the OP's express desires to retain quick spool, lower EGT and low boost threshold (for trailer towing) and remaining with PD130 injectors that top out at ~200 HP, the same GTB2260VK(LR) is not ideal. My vote is for a GTD1752VRK first; second choice is GTC1549VZ/BV43D; certainly nothing bigger than a 52mm CW for surge margin taking off from a standstill loaded with a trailer.
No more needed to say, listen to that man :)