Head unit upgrade?

WilburBeast

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI ALH Automatic
Been thinking about upgrading my head unit to something more with the times. Touch screen, bt, navigation etc. I already have double din monsoon but was curious if anyone knows if I'll still have function of my cd changer in the trunk? I've done thread surfing and haven't found any thing covering that question. It's actually a pioneer 8 disc changer with a blitz safe adapter. On another note, only thing I really need to watch for is k line right? Obviously I need proper adapter for antenna and wire harness. No steering wheel controls but I'm in process of getting Ross tech cable and vcds. If I don't take care of k line, this will mess up vcds?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
CD changer is so 1990s; put a CD drive next to your computer and just start ripping your CDs when you have a spare 20sec. at work or whenever on the computer, then load them onto your phone...SO much easier than dealing with CD changer in the car.

Pioneer NEX-5000 in my 2002 Golf works great; NEX-8000 in the 2003 Jetta even better.

K-line isn't really an issue anymore as far as I know; in our 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 VWs, I haven't even thought of the K-line (I have heard of it, though), and haven't done any damage.
(Of course, YMMV. :))

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
CD changer is so 1990s; put a CD drive next to your computer and just start ripping your CDs when you have a spare 20sec. at work or whenever on the computer, then load them onto your phone...SO much easier than dealing with CD changer in the car.

Pioneer NEX-5000 in my 2002 Golf works great; NEX-8000 in the 2003 Jetta even better.

K-line isn't really an issue anymore as far as I know; in our 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 VWs, I haven't even thought of the K-line (I have heard of it, though), and haven't done any damage.
(Of course, YMMV. :))
2002+ only with double din use can hi and lo

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html
Some 2002 and newer VW's come with the double-DIN "Premium VI" radio. This radio does not have a k-line connection, but rather has a CAN-high and CAN-low. Although the connector is completely different and it shouldn't be possible to have the "Aftermarket Radio Problem" with these newer cars, it would probably be in your best interest to make sure that NOTHING is connected to these pins in the radio harness, if you use an aftermarket radio. The back of the Premium VI radio is shown in the below diagram.

Last edited: