Any adblue or hpfp issues yet?

WesTID

TDI
12 GTI
Hello all,

I did a quick search in this forum and haven't found any posts related to the hpfp, has there been any incidents yet with this TDI engine or was there a modification made compared to the other TDI's having issues?

Also curious if adblue is working fine as I know there are some issues with that system on the T-regs.

thanks!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The Passat TDI engine and HPFP is different from the Jetta-Golf-Sportwagen. VW lowered the fuel injection pressure, raised the fuel line pressure, and changed the pump/injectors which may increase reliability. The Passat HPFP has a longer stroke, its piston and bearing have a different finish, and the pump body is slightly different. VW also replaced the piezo injectors with older solenoid injectors for unknown reasons. Although the engine is rated for the same power as the Jetta-Golf engines, the turbo is slightly smaller which brings on the power slightly lower. Combined with slightly different tuning, it compensates for the heavier car.
Not aware of any HPFP or AdBlue issues.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b7/2013-vw-passat-tdi-review-faq.htm

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Don't tempt fate. You are now required to knock on three pieces of wood, dance in a circle clucking like a chicken and throw salt over both of your shoulders. :p

WesTID

TDI
12 GTI
lol, sorry guys! I was just getting my GTI oil changed at my local dealer when the service rep walked out to tell the guy next to me that the error code on his Jetta TDI was bad news. He said it looked like it had regular gas in the system and would need to be totally cleaned out. At first I thought oh no a HPFP failure, however the guy only had 2,000 miles on his car, so something tells me he did put regular gas in it. If folks screw up its ashame they cannot admit it.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I'm scared that I'm going to try putting diesel in a gas car (though I know about the filler neck and pump nozzle differences). Got a rental today and had to use the gas pumps closer than were I normally get fuel, and had to stare at them a moment to know which one to choose.

I will promise you, if I do make such a mistake, I will own up to it. Now to be extra vigilant for black cats...

WesTID

TDI
12 GTI
LOL - hit a black cat on a freeway the 2nd week of owning my GTI, the dang thing was running so fast accross and ran right into my left front tire. My question was if it didn't pass completely in front of you is it only half bad luck?

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Probably double bad luck for hitting it, it sure didn't have a lucky extra life out of nine.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hello all,

I did a quick search in this forum and haven't found any posts related to the hpfp, has there been any incidents yet with this TDI engine or was there a modification made compared to the other TDI's having issues?

Also curious if adblue is working fine as I know there are some issues with that system on the T-regs.

thanks!
You haven't found any posts because there haven't been any problems.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The only "problem" with our Passat is that it's using less AdBlue than I expected... 2.4 gallons over the first 10,000 miles :D

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The only "problem" with our Passat is that it's using less AdBlue than I expected... 2.4 gallons over the first 10,000 miles :D

-J
And it's getting 30% better fuel economy than advertised! :cool: :D

WesTID

TDI
12 GTI
I just test drove one, and all I can saw is wow! Lots of power, great ride and so much room you could carry an army. Was originally thinking of getting a TDI golf tech, but for a few more grand you can have a really nice Passat. Guess, I will have to see how much of a hit I take on the GTI and then decide if its worth spending the $$. I am insane when it comes to cars, I need a shrink. :)

WesTID

TDI
12 GTI
Thanks everyone for the information. I am going to think about this one some more for a few reasons. They are still trying to dump 12 GTI's and they won't want a used one, well they will but at a horrible trade in value.

Secondly, I think they will discount the passats more once the 13's are out for a while. This will give me more time to think this over.

I talked to a place today that deals in just BMW's (small privite shop) and they didn't think swapping the conti dws with the Michelem Primacy would do much for ride quality in the GTI, I tend to agree. It's a great little sporty car and have had 0 issues with it, just not sure its a great interstate car which is where i do most of my driving.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Passats are nice for many reasons, but I do miss my GTI. Granted it was an '87 8 valve job, but driving it was more fun. Well, from what I can remember anyway. Still haven't sat behind the wheel of my new ride yet.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Passats are nice for many reasons, but I do miss my GTI. Granted it was an '87 8 valve job, but driving it was more fun. Well, from what I can remember anyway. Still haven't sat behind the wheel of my new ride yet.
Actually I miss my 82(83?The first year) GTI. That was a cheap, fun to drive car. I could spin those tires (Pirelli P6's) and that was only the 1.8L non turbo gasoline engine with I think 118 HP.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
tomB: I think it was an even 100hp, as the 87 Audi 4000S I bought after the 83 GTI had a whopping 110!
Both were amazingly well-balanced cars...never the fastest, but truly connected to the pavement. Frankly, my 09 JSW comes very close to the feel of the 83GTI, albeit with much more sophisticated road manners, etc.

irondogger

TDI
'12 Sportwagen TDI
God forbid

I'm scared that I'm going to try putting diesel in a gas car (though I know about the filler neck and pump nozzle differences). Got a rental today and had to use the gas pumps closer than were I normally get fuel, and had to stare at them a moment to know which one to choose.

I will promise you, if I do make such a mistake, I will own up to it. Now to be extra vigilant for black cats...
My wife picked up a '13 Passat about 4 weeks ago and is constantly afraid of 'accidently' putting gasoline in it. It's her 1st diesel. The anti-gasoline flapper will probably prevent that but I dread the day she has to get fuel and all they have are the larger truck nozzles. That will not be a pretty sight. Diesel nozzle refill adapter accessory on order but not here.

So far no issues about HPFP or Adblue but then not many miles. I have not seen many posts on this site about '12+ HPFP issues.

BTW: What about hitting a black and white or a white and black cat? Any bad luck issues there? Inquiring minds wish to know.

L8r,.........dogger

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My wife picked up a '13 Passat about 4 weeks ago and is constantly afraid of 'accidently' putting gasoline in it. It's her 1st diesel. The anti-gasoline flapper will probably prevent that but I dread the day she has to get fuel and all they have are the larger truck nozzles. That will not be a pretty sight. Diesel nozzle refill adapter accessory on order but not here.

So far no issues about HPFP or Adblue but then not many miles. I have not seen many posts on this site about '12+ HPFP issues.

BTW: What about hitting a black and white or a white and black cat? Any bad luck issues there? Inquiring minds wish to know.

L8r,.........dogger
"...many posts..." ? I haven't seen ANY, except for Adblue filling issues...

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I haven't had mine long enough to know: What is the AdBlue filling issue? Is it just a slow fill rate and people/dealers getting impatient/sloppy?

I did pop off the trunk panel and take a look at my urea tank the first night I brought mine home. Noticed just a couple of drops of white, crystalline residue which I assumed was a sloppy fill. I wiped it clean.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BlueHen: Yeah, more than one post (I think) about major Ad Blue spills...under the carpet, ran under the rear seat, rear seat carpet...a real mess.

The VW container of AdBlue has a special connector to fill, and it really should be a no-brainer, but, sigh, they allow the less-than-no-brain guys to do the fill (where DO THEY find these guys?). Of course, when pouring liquid of ANY kind, you should expect a drop or 2 spillage, and prepare for it by putting down some sort of protection....sheesh, this isn't brain surgery...

Look carefully in your spare wheel well for crystalline residue. If they spilled more than a drop or two (which should be easily wiped up by the service guy) you need to find it now.

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
All the fuss over adblue and refilling the tank seems a bit odd to me. My owners manual says I should take it in to the dealer refill. Adblue is not that dangerous! It is only very mildly corrosive, doesn't smell, and is easy to clean up if you do spill some. I don't see it as any worse than methanol that fills the washer fluid tank! Heck they even sell it at wal-mart now. I had a Duramax that used DEF and would use the 2.5 gallon blue DEF that comes with a handy long filler tube. No problem!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
StoneCrab: Agreed, not corrosive, but if it gets slopped around, it does make a mess...

WesTID

TDI
12 GTI
So far my car does seem to like running over critters since the cat!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
I wonder if a 2012 Passat is better than the MKVII?

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
there have been a few post about VW using a funnel and large container to fill the adblue tank instead of the no spill connection bottles. I'm glad I dont have the adblue tank although I wish the Passat had been available when I bought mine, I would have gone for the extra comfort and room. There was talk of it comming but I couldn't wait a year to see.