Starter gone bad / unknown issue

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
For the very first time, I ventured out with my beloved Golf TDi towards Austin, yesterday.

As Hillboro Valero, decided to fill her up. Once I am done, I start the car, makes a funny noise (rather loud), but the car does not start at all.

Called VWoA Roadside Assistance. Luckily, my closest dealership was Autobahn (where I bought my car from). The Golf gets towed about 65 miles to the dealership.

Once they heard that I filled her up with fuel, they wrote DIESEL as big as the could on the order form. Got a nice CC to start my journey.

I've been told that it'll be Monday before they can look at my car....

I should say that Friday morning (yesterday), every time I started the car, it started fine, but the starter made a loud screeching sound right before it started. So, I am guessing that the starter was going bad.

I am assuming (and hoping, and praying) that it is not an HPFP issue, as the car never even started after refuelling. I am (again) assuming that the car would have to run at least a few seconds for the new fuel to get into the system.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted, but it is rather sad that my three month old Golf with 7k miles is in the shop....

Any inputs would be highly appreciated :)

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
You're pretty much going to have to wait and see what the dealership finds. Its anyone's guess as to what could possibly be the problem. No sense guessing,wait for the dealership's diagnosis. In the meantime enjoy the CC.

dweisel

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Can we please refrain from assuming that every issue with a common rail equipped TDI is something related to a fuel pump failure?

There is absolutely no need to put "HPFP" in the title of a thread when there's zero evidence that it is the case. This is happening more and more and it does nothing to help the issue.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Can we please refrain from assuming that every issue with a common rail equipped TDI is something related to a fuel pump failure?
There is absolutely no need to put "HPFP" in the title of a thread when there's zero evidence that it is the case. This is happening more and more and it does nothing to help the issue.
I think thats just human nature to think the worst. But you are absolutely correct about thread titles. Now if we could only get VW to get out of the ''contaminated'' fuel mindset.
LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY!
dweisel

Last edited:

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
It happened at a gas station so it MUST be contaminated fuel. :D

haha, not serious of course.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry but I am happy :)

First of all, let me apologize to ya'll for the delayed response (work, family, and yes, enjoying the car, letting wifey drive the Ody while I am taking the red one with me :D)....

Called the dealership on Monday, I was told that it was indeed the starter and it would be ready within an hour. Due to school being closed and so on, I went to pick up my lilred on Tuesday.

Overall, I am very very happy that it was not the HPFP :). The car did not run at all after I filled her up and no error lights upon starting (well, it did not start at all) and, the starter was making a funny noise from the morning. (Thank you dzcad90 for your sticky post)

Now, I would love to beat you all up with a wet noodle, for making fun of me; but I guess most of you are knowledgable TDi owners so, I won't :p. I am sort of "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" kinda person. I bought my TDi being fully aware of the "can't mention" issue, because I love diesel engines and VWs.

I found Autobahn in Fort Worth to be a decent dealership. My buying experience there was simply ideal, and my first warranty work was also excellent. Highly recommend them :cool:.

Drove the CC for about 500 miles or so, it had 179 miles when I had it.

• Love the spacious interior, cool two tone seats
  • Gorgeous exterior looks
  • Hated the RCD
  • Hated the fact that I could set the cruise at any speed, but increase or decrease in speed would be in 5mph increments :eek:
  • Parking sensor, cool feature
  • Climate control also has set temps (no, I can't set it to 71F :confused:)
  • 4 seats
  • DSG was good, but suits much better with high torque at low RPM (say TDi) motor
  • I doubt if it had a TDi motor :p
  • I never though halogen headlight could provide such awesome bright light
  • Achieved 31.x MPG per computer, DFW AUSTIN and back

Golf TDi on the other hand, tight handling, TDi love, got 48 mpg (per compi) on my way to work today), etc. etc....

Thank you for your concern, best wishes, wisdom and making fun of me :)

Happy Motoring :)

Last edited:

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
I think thats just human nature to think the worst. But you are absolutely correct about thread titles. Now if we could only get VW to get out of the ''contaminated'' fuel mindset.
LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY!
dweisel
I asked Brad, the service advisor, a couple of million times about any preventative measures that I could possibly take to avoid the HPFP issue, he said nothing (like we didn't know that).....