• no

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf

Some residue of commercial bio diesel that wasn't being washed properly. The car had been run for thousands of miles on D2 since seeing this fuel and the goo was still there.

Same pump as above.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Some contrast.

This pic is from my dearly departed 97 Passat. It had just over 300,000 miles on it when this pic was taken at the Philly fest. Paramedick and jasonTDI were helping me replace the fuel temp sensor in the parking lot at the hotel. This engine was run on #2 LSD its whole life.

:)

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
BKmetz said:
Some contrast.

This pic is from my dearly departed 97 Passat. It had just over 300,000 miles on it when this pic was taken at the Philly fest.
:)
I wish my pump looked that good; and it has 1/4 the miles on it!

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
92 4Runner-ALH Swap In Progress

sethc

TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon
As a newbie to this forum and to TDIs -- I am about to buy my first, a 2011 or newer VW Jetta wagon or Passat sedan -- I apologize if I am asking a question answered elsewhere here. I have looked for some time and have not found answers...

Putting aside for a moment the risk to any VW warranty, what risk is there to the engine, fuel line, etc. in using B20, B50, or even B100 in a VW TDI 2011 or newer? The folks over at Biodiesel Oasis in Berkeley tell me there are many people out there running their late model TDIs on these fuels without any problems. What say you all?

Secondarily, should I expect comparable mpg and performance from, say, B100 as from fossil fuel diesel?

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Use of high percentage of biodiesel in common-rail engines is covered here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249514

Don't feel like reading? Use of biodiesel is approved up to 5% and that's all. In areas where only higher percentages are available (i.e. you have no choice but to use it) they will provide warranty coverage up to 20% biodiesel.

High percentages of biodiesel in the late model common-rail vehicles WILL cause problems.

PAJ

TDI
2015 Passat SEL 2005 Jetta 178k
Has anyone used B20 (or higher blends ) in the EA288s? Im itching to put B20 in my new Passat.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Quite a number have used B20. VW will warranty cars in Illinois, since their D2 has higher than 5% BD mixed in. The caveat is to watch your oil levels, and likely changing the oil more often.

That said, several members here don't recommend going beyond B20 because of the high pressure and temperatures encountered with an EA288 at the injector. It's possible that the injectors may "gum up" fairly quickly, and cleaning is not an option, only replacement. With B20, it will likely still happen, but slow enough that it might not be an issue.

Of course, others feel they are being Chicken Little and there's no problems. It's your car, so the final decision is yours. :)

PAJ

TDI
2015 Passat SEL 2005 Jetta 178k
We have lots of pumps selling biodiesel bends here in Georgia. It seems strange that the owners manual states that anything over B5 is contrary to the warranty. You can get higher blends than that just by filling up with Diesel at a Loves truck stop.

TDI
2008 Touareg V10 TDI, 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet (1.8L Gas)
Q) Is Biodiesel harmful?

No. Biodiesel is not toxic or harmful to people or pets. Be aware that Biodiesel, when spilled on body paint or rubber parts (hoses, tires, etc.), can do damage, no differently than dino-diesel fuel.

The statement "biodiesel is not toxic or harmful to people and pets" is misleading. Although molecularly dissimilar to petro-diesel, biodiesel is still neat fuel with associated health and safety risks, and should be treated as such. Both fire safety and chemical exposure concerns must be mitigated throughout the biodiesel supply chain, to ensure the safe production, storage and handling of biodiesel.

TDI
2008 Touareg V10 TDI, 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet (1.8L Gas)
Biodiesel has ~ 93% of the energy content of petro-diesel; most users of B100 see a 10% reduction in fuel economy as compared to petro-diesel. This is far better than the ~ 25% loss in fuel economy when using E85 vs. E10 gas.