Tuned Audi A6 TDI Anyone?(Kerma/Malone Content)

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Just asking around since I truly do not see many tuned 16' Audi A6's running around here. Does anyone have either a Kerma or Malone tune on one of these and if so, what are your impressions?

I can find plenty of Q5/Q7's but not many A6's.

I live out in Colorado where our elevation varies from 5,200 - 14,000 so it's important to have a tune(Malone or Kerma) that understands this. All of our cars have access to less air out here so I want to move forward with either Kerma or Malone but don't know of any other A6 owners out in these elevations with either.

Thanks for any advise folks!

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Have a bunch of customers at elevation, tunes automatically account for it and use factory-like safety limiters for reliability's sake.

Your motor is the same as the rest of the 3L lineup, just in a smaller vehicle, so if anything it has an easier time than everyone else.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
FWIW kermatdi warehouse/HQ is at 8500 ft altitude in the Vail valley. You should stop by and say hi sometime.
The in-house test fleet includes multiple 3.0 vehicles. VW/Audi factory calibration engineers have been known to frequent the local bars from time to time ;) doing their own high altitude testing. :)

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Dang, I got both of you on this forum, wow!

You are both seriously wonderful companies and I am really figuring out which one of you I want to go with on this car. I have used KERMA in the past(currently still) with my 14' Golf TDI both ECU/TCU tune and it runs so well in every aspect.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Didn't you post this in another thread? If you are planning to tune you ought to try to get your money back on the warranty if it can still be cancelled. Unless you are just researching the tune you are planning to get in 5 years.

Also added a 5-year unlimited warranty for piece of mind.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Didn't you post this in another thread? If you are planning to tune you ought to try to get your money back on the warranty if it can still be cancelled. Unless you are just researching the tune you are planning to get in 5 years.

Also added a 5-year unlimited warranty for piece of mind.

Oh gosh no. Definitely not waiting that long. I am truly not worried even one bit about the motor itself with a tune. I have had countless tuned VW/Audis with no issues. The warranty is more for the MMI and inside tech.

So do you have a Malone or KERMA tune KITEWAGON?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Oh gosh no. Definitely not waiting that long. I am truly not worried even one bit about the motor itself with a tune. I have had countless tuned VW/Audis with no issues. The warranty is more for the MMI and inside tech.
So do you have a Malone or KERMA tune KITEWAGON?
Neither right now. I'm not risking my warranty right now. I told myself that I would at least let the CPO warranty run out first. But I would love to get a Stage II tune.

I think you are kidding yourself if you don't think that Audi will void the warranty on your MMI (and everything else) if they find out that the car has been tuned. Lots of people drive tuned VAG cars and enjoy full warranty coverage. Some get caught and get a TD1 put on their car and lose the warranty. Just don't whine about it if you get tuned and end up in that group.

Best of luck with the car and the tune. I'm very jealous. If it was me I'd go Malone with a flash tuner to take it back to stock before going into the dealer and then hope they don't notice the flashes.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Neither right now. I'm not risking my warranty right now. I told myself that I would at least let the CPO warranty run out first. But I would love to get a Stage II tune.
I think you are kidding yourself if you don't think that Audi will void the warranty on your MMI (and everything else) if they find out that the car has been tuned. Lots of people drive tuned VAG cars and enjoy full warranty coverage. Some get caught and get a TD1 put on their car and lose the warranty. Just don't whine about it if you get tuned and end up in that group.
Best of luck with the car and the tune. I'm very jealous. If it was me I'd go Malone with a flash tuner to take it back to stock before going into the dealer and then hope they don't notice the flashes.
Thank you for the advice and I’ll make sure there is no whining.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Couldn't you source another ECU and go that route?

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Couldn't you source another ECU and go that route?
Probably could but I truly would not even know where to begin looking for that. I guess I duplicate my ECU onto a blank one but that just sounds like a hassle.

I am truly not worried like most people about warranties. If I mess something up, I have enough financially to fix it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
go with malone and get a DPF delete and motor on then!!!

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
go with malone and get a DPF delete and motor on then!!!
Haha!! I’ve decided I’m going to use Malone for this platform. Primarily because I can still get a tune when I delete the alphabet soup.

I’ll wait another month or so because I’m doing all the good maintenance first.

Last edited:

jmcrrr

TDI
Jetta 2000 Black
What's the best way to study up on getting a Malone Tune for my '14 A6 TDI and a flash tuner, if that's the way to keep my Emissions Warranty from being cancelled? I'm completely new to this, but I'm guessing a DPF delete disconnects parts permanently and shouldn't be done until your warranty is used up?

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
What's the best way to study up on getting a Malone Tune for my '14 A6 TDI and a flash tuner, if that's the way to keep my Emissions Warranty from being cancelled? I'm completely new to this, but I'm guessing a DPF delete disconnects parts permanently and shouldn't be done until your warranty is used up?
Well. It removes all the filters after the turbo. It lets the engine breathe easier. Work less. And doesn't have to rebreathe its own exhaust. It keeps the intake much cleaner. Improves fuel economy. Improves reliability. It makes a lot of things better about the car. Unfortunately it's not expressly legal. You can't do it in any states that have smog testing.