Lubing of wheel bolts?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Looks like scurvy never posted the results of his test!

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I will keep that in mind when I post. I really didn't look at the date. I was just reading the comments.
Actually thanks for bring this thread up.

I have taught my local garage to torque my wheel nuts to 90 foot pounds.

How I did I manage this miracle. By returning the car to them everytime I could not remove the the wheel lugs with the car supplied wrench.

They also now have no problem with oiling the lugs with standard plain 10w to 30w weight oil, as I have requested, when doing this they must toque to 80 foot pounds before final torque to 90 foot pounds.

This method prevents the oil from changing the torque value. A slow torque, to value, keeps the oil dissipated and in metal to metal contact.

They of course cover their butts by stating on invoice that wheel nuts must be retorqued after use.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Actually thanks for bring this thread up.
I have taught my local garage to torque my wheel nuts to 90 foot pounds.
How I did I manage this miracle. By returning the car to them everytime I could not remove the the wheel lugs with the car supplied wrench.
They also now have no problem with oiling the lugs with standard plain 10w to 30w weight oil, as I have requested, when doing this they must toque to 80 foot pounds before final torque to 90 foot pounds.
This method prevents the oil from changing the torque value. A slow torque, to value, keeps the oil dissipated and in metal to metal contact.
They of course cover their butts by stating on invoice that wheel nuts must be retorqued after use.
I spray the hub and bolt holes with battery trminal spray. I assume it has poor lubricating potential.