Need some help, Cam & Timing Belt

Ramp Rat

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM; Case 580SK Backhoe; '06 Dodge 5.9 24V Cunnins.
Greetings to everyone,
I’m new here and I just bought a 2006 VW Jetta TDI (BRM) engine and have been doing some inspection. The current mileage is 192,000 but any records that I can find (CarFax) shows that the timing belt was replaced at 82,000 miles.
The car runs great but I wanted to inspect the timing belt and the camshaft. (I’ve tried to attached some pictures).
I’m not a VW expert but, I do know something about engines (I am a Federally licensed aircraft mechanic, if that means anything). The belt appears to be in good condition as does the camshaft and lifter faces. My guess is that they were replaced about 20 to 30K miles ago. The belt has VW part numbers on it.
However, I noticed that the tension adjuster indicator is not where it should be at the time a new belt is installed. My question is should I readjust the belt tension or is that normal for wear and tear?
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for any help.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steve[/FONT]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EmIxBHJ2vaantAxBbLpIkO6IPp3XAjdv/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hsPCpinWOlW0IDg1L1O3CXTUSOIwbOlz/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YM7J8hF0mS-7YssoPoyOmgJW3ttUCKhU

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kbN-ntZ1gUYycHTNjHSBvszdFbVoFxfx/view?usp=sharing

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Were those pictures taken with a borescope? The quality looks about like the scopes done on our Citation periodically.

The pointer window thing is for installation. It will slightly wander out after it runs for the first time. Yours is fine.

It's really really hard to gauge a timing belts condition visually. That is one of those things that, when I buy a car with one, I change right away so that I know where it's at unless I have record of it being done recently. Are those followers black in color? If so, they cam has probably been done. Where you will see most of the problems on these cams are the #1 and #4 exhaust lobes which are the lobes on the very front and very rear of the cam. Do those lobes on your car still have a nice chamfer or are they sharp at all on the edges?

TheRagnarok

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
As a new TDI owner myself with 208K on the odometer at purchase.
I can say that the highest risk of failure would be the belt idler bearing and the tensioner bearing as either of these seizing would eat a belt.
PO said the belt was due and that was the first of many things I fixed on this car!
Belt was an OE VW belt and looked to be in good shape with no cracks and it was still very flexible.
The idler bearing felt a little off and the tensioner was still smooth.

FarmerboyTdi

TDI
2006 Jetta
The idea of changing belt and tensioners is to do it before they get bad. There is no way to check bearings without loosening belt but then you are so far into it that you might as well do the job right. Considering that a broken belt or a seized bearing will probably trash engine makes it a cheap insurance.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I would change it - I recently changed one that was 12 years old with 125k miles and looked at least as good as what you've pictured (original belt on an 06). Can't really see the cam lobes well enough in that picture to say.

Ramp Rat

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM; Case 580SK Backhoe; '06 Dodge 5.9 24V Cunnins.
Thanks everyone, and yea, some of those pictures were taken with a borescope. I don’t work on Citations, just small, old, vintage general aviation birds like Cessnas & Cubs.

The cam followers are all black and show no sign of wear. The cam lobs are still chamfered with no sharp edges. There is some slight discoloration areas on two of the lobs with no pitting or spalling. If it were an aircraft cam I can see no reason to NOT call it serviceable.

I’ve got a ton of other things I need to inspect and service on this car. Not because I know there are issues but, because of where I live. Like I’ve always said, with tongue in cheek, “Here in southeast Arizona, It’s a 150 miles to the nearest Circle K”.

I believe that changing the timing belt and water pump is a good idea. If for no other reason then to sleep better. One of my son’s has an ’03 Jetta TDI and says that the Gates belt with metal impeller water pump is the way to go. I think I’ll buy the kit and put it on my “To Do List”.

Again, thanks for the feedback and I know I’ll have more questions as I get further in to this project.
Steve.