Part number request: 2006.5 BRM Radiator

FTG

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Mine has sprung a leak, car has 151k miles. Was hoping just a coolant hose, but after removing the fan, noticed the leak. I have searched and am having a bit of trouble finding a part number for a replacement radiator. Thanks in advance!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
There are two different part numbers.

1K0-121-251-AN and 1K0-121-251-AM.

The AN has a note for vehicles with the 6 speed automatic trans, however the AM also has the production code for the 6 speed auto.

If you could PM me your VIN, I could tell you exactly which number applies to your vehicle.

sitz

Hate to bring a dead thread back to life, but important to share..

For my 2006 Jetta BRM 1.9 tdi with 6sp automatic/dsg, the correct radiator is the 1K0121251AL (aka 1K0121251AN). The 1K0121251AK (aka 1K121251AM) was 2" too short. Strangely, the dealership/parts dept (at two different dealerships) both thought the AK/AM was the right part, so there must be something wrong in the database.

Also, this CAN easily be done without taking off the front-end. Remove fan and it comes out the bottom. Total time <1hr.

ARGH the Nissens radiator I bought was broken and they refused to stand behind it (Totally shocking, the plastic tank on one side was welded on upside-down! Total manufacturing defect, but they said I had to get refund through place I bought it rather than replacing it.) Very frustrating.

So, now I am boycotting Nissens and am going for a Silla 7634a for $99 shipped after tax off jcwhitney with 20% coupon. I don't like Silla, but there just aren't any good choices - so hopefully it will be okay.. At least it's a lifetime warranty (though not transferable.)

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Bump Radiator PN 1K0121251AK

I went to a dealer and they quoted the AK Model. Is it wrong? I have a 2006.5 (171K miles) and I gave them my VIN to look it up. BUMP this thread to see how common is this problem with leaking radiators with a BRM.

Mine just went Poof on a relatively hot (90F) day.:eek: I just put in new coolant a couple months ago. Any relationship to my maintenance practices I took? I used a blow nozzle to push water through the engine with the main hoses disconnected after running it with just water for a few days. It is so easy to drain this radiator, but hard to get every last drop out of the engine. Any other ideas?:confused:

Good to hear you can take it out from the fan side. i'll try that.

I called the dealer again and the AM-(Superseded by AK) is core size 650 wide by 414 tall and is for the DSG in 2006.5 (26.3 x 16.3)
I also have the core size for the AN (for something else) is core size 648 wide by 460 tall (26.25 x 18)

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
New radiator I received from Nissens 65291A which is equivilent to AN. it is 2 inches taller AND DOES NOT FIT FAN! bummer, but it is in and jury rigged.

badgator1

TDI
2006.5 Jetta brm DSG, MB diesels and SL's
2006.5 BRM DSG radiator upgrade

New radiator I received from Nissens 65291A which is equivilent to AN. it is 2 inches taller AND DOES NOT FIT FAN! bummer, but it is in and jury rigged.
My 2006.5 BRM DSG has a small leak, I am replacing the old radiator (The sticker on the side is 1K0121251AM )with a Nissins 1K0121251AN. Being in Florida I'd rather have the larger radiator anyhow + I just added a hitch. Bob - what problem did you have with the fans, and did the hoses line right up?, PM sent.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
AM supercedes to an AK, the core measurements are 650x414mm, and is listed for cars with a production date of Jan 9th 2005 to Dec 31st 2006... so all BRM/automatic cars sold here *should* use this one.

ETKA does show a later BRM/automatic version, the AN suffix, but none of those cars would have been sold here. That is 648x460mm (so about the same width, but taller).

There are several BRM/manual radiators listed, which are all the 648x460mm size but different numbers, and they all distill down to one with an EJ suffix.

Why the automatics got a SMALLER radiator than the manuals I have no idea. But maybe the smaller radiator is thicker or has some other difference. Since I cannot recall ever seeing any BRM car manual or automatic have issues with overheating it is obviously not an issue.

I have never had any issue getting the correct radiator for the A5 cars, and since the aftermarket ones are typically junk we just get them from Volkswagen. They are not *that* expensive. If you can find a Behr one, though, that is who makes most of them.

Last edited:

badgator1

TDI
2006.5 Jetta brm DSG, MB diesels and SL's
Nissens 1K0121251AN fits well in a 2006.5 BRM DSG it is about 2" taller, same width and thickness as the 1K0121251AM it replaced.
Radiator mount holes are in the same position.
2 lower fan holes are the same, 1 upper I drilled a new hole up higher in fan mount and made a 2" long extension on the other side.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
Nissens 1K0121251AN fits well in a 2006.5 BRM DSG it is about 2" taller, same width and thickness as the 1K0121251AM it replaced.
Radiator mount holes are in the same position.
2 lower fan holes are the same, 1 upper I drilled a new hole up higher in fan mount and made a 2" long extension on the other side.
Great to hear you had the same experience as I did. I'm happy after four hot months on mine, too.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I just experienced the same problem with the VW parts catalog. My car had the AN radiator. It was leaking from one of the side tank seams. I called my dealer with the VIN to order a new one. I don't like aftermarket radiators for the most part excluding brands like Denso. They told me the AN supersedes to an AK. Great, order that one. I picked it up today and it doesn't fit. Well, it fits in the lock carrier, but is 1.5" shorter. Because of this, the fan mounting bosses are 1.5" closer together. The fans don't fit.

I took the part back to the dealer, they called the hotline. The hotline tells them "Yea, we've ran into this a bit. It goes back quite a while. If his car has the AN radiator, just order the AN radiator."

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Even though the catalog shows the AN having been superseded to the AK, the AN is still available. It will be here Wednesday.

My thought prior to knowing the AN was available was to try a EJ suffix. That one is 460mm tall and intended for the manual BRM. I'm not sure what, if any, differences there are between the two. I will never know as I'm just going for the AN to be done with it.

2006 Package 1 DSG car btw