Oil cooler seals leaking? Pictures inside.

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
From the top:

From the bottom:

It looks like the oil is leaking from above the oil cooler to me. Can oil migrate upward like the pictures show? Or is something else leaking?

Mr. Flibble

TDI
2013 Sportwagen Manual, Sunroof/1995 Mitsubishi Delica L400
I have never heard of oil migrating upwards - except when a high pressure leak occurs, pushing the oil violently upwards. I had this happen on my van when my oil filter was attached incorrectly, spraying oil upwards from the bottom of the engine.

In this photo, it sure looks to me like the oil is leaking down.

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I have never heard of oil migrating upwards - except when a high pressure leak occurs, pushing the oil violently upwards. I had this happen on my van when my oil filter was attached incorrectly, spraying oil upwards from the bottom of the engine.

In this photo, it sure looks to me like the oil is leaking down.
Thanks for your reply. Any idea what would be leaking above? Oil filter housing?

deadend9009

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I'd just fix the cooler leak, could be the oil simply moving up by capillary action. Check that first. Its a 2$ gasket anyways...

ctags87

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta tdi
What was your issue, did it end up just needing new oil cooler o rings/seals or was it something else , just curious because mine is leaking again, changed out the oil cooler seals about this time last year and now they are leaking again and it apears like it's coming from above the cooler like yours ,, let me know thanks

Robert Beecher

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Could be two oil filter orings after one got stuck and stayed on the housing during a filter change. Also dont know about your engine but on mine the crankcase breather pipe attatches to the block down there beside it, it could be broken.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
New o-rings on the cooler are required. Oil can migrate upwards as oil acts like a super fluid. However, it will not collect like this. Upward migration presents as a very thin coating and proceeds slowly.

You are on the right track in replacing the two o-rings on the top and bottom of the oil cooler.

ctags87

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta tdi
ok i have a 99.5 jetta tdi , i understand that part, but i replaced both seals just under a year ago, purchased from idpart.com, what are the odds that the top seal would go bad again in such a short time? btw when i installed them, i didnt lube up the top seal just the bottom because that one spins as you tighten it and the top just gets squeezed up, could that be my problem , should i have rubbed a little bit of oil on both seals before installing? or could i have over tightened it?

btw just wondering before i replace just the seals, at what mileage should the oil cooler be replaced completely, as preventative matenience?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I looked for a how-to at the top of this 101 section, but could not find any. The link for the Huge Vortex how-to's does not open. Anyone know why?

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
ok i have a 99.5 jetta tdi , i understand that part, but i replaced both seals just under a year ago, purchased from idpart.com, what are the odds that the top seal would go bad again in such a short time? btw when i installed them, i didnt lube up the top seal just the bottom because that one spins as you tighten it and the top just gets squeezed up, could that be my problem , should i have rubbed a little bit of oil on both seals before installing? or could i have over tightened it?

btw just wondering before i replace just the seals, at what mileage should the oil cooler be replaced completely, as preventative matenience?
I would replace the oiler cooler with a larger one and a longer rod/retainer thing. The engine oil gets up to normal temperature faster and your FrostHeater (if installed) would warm more of the oil before starting the engine.:)
EDIT: here's the thread for that :http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=78993

Last edited:

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
From the top:

From the bottom:

It looks like the oil is leaking from above the oil cooler to me. Can oil migrate upward like the pictures show? Or is something else leaking?
I just tightened up the nut on the bottom of the cooler and it stopped leaking. I never replaced the seals. 6 months after I posted this/tightened it it's not leaking still.