Passat 4Motion Upgraded Oil cooler, need help with seals.

shox75

TDI
2000 Golf TDI - previous, 2002 Jetta TDI current
I was reading this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=78993
I have the oil cooler already, and I also have the plastic insert up top, however there is no o-ring on the plastic piece, i'm assuming there should be one there.
Also the lower o-ring part number 038117061 doesn't exist on IDparts.
Can anyone help me locate the upper and lower o-ring seals?

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
If your referring to the middle oil cooler in the link, then the following applies. The top insert is what seals the upper portion of the cooler. The lower part is sealed by the bolt which has the seal in it. Did the bolt come with oil cooler you have, if not then that is what you need. Also the bolt is specific to the larger oil cooler.

Last edited:

shox75

TDI
thanks for the reply. The cooler (used) did come with a bolt and flat style o-ring seal, just don't really want to reuse it. It also came with the upper plastic insert, but no seal on the plastic portion, can't see how it is going to seal at all. Seems as if an o-ring is missing.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
Here are the two part numbers you need according to the thread. I ordered the one I installed through IDParts. The seal for the top was also the insert that fit inside the cooler. According to the IPB the lower seal is available separately. Maybe the upper seal you received is damaged.

038117061 LOWER COVER TO OIL COOLER WITH SEAL
038117070B SEAL

shox75

TDI
thanks, thats what im thinking. Just ordered the top one through idparts.