which gen tdi is most reliable?

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
We have a 2000 Beetle, 5 speed with about 230K that Mrs Roundhouse has been driving for several years. long enough for three alternators,(got the repair time from 9 hours down to 3 1/2) , two timing belts and a half dozen rear shock mounts.

its going to need some maintenance , a timing belt,

probabaly a clutch, think its the original one, and the CV boots are split, but the joints dont make noise, yet.

the estimate from the local tdi guru, whose work I like,is gonna be about $2200, which is probabaly about the value of the car.

we've pondered the idea of looking for a newer Beetle, and Im wondering which years I should avoid due to known problems.

I read that alot of the PD engines had issues with the camshaft and engine self destructing because of design flaws

I dont know anything about gens newer than 2001 reliability. and what years were in the buyback and repair program.

we have had three, a 98 Beetle, a 01 Golf and now a 2000 beetle, and havent had any major issues with the engines, just the design flaws like window tracks, and electrical stuff Vws are famous for.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Probably the "Chuck Norris" of the TDI world is the ALH+manual, 2000-2003. So, you already have that.

A close second, and could probably be hair splitting a third place with two pedals, would be the BEW cars (2004-2005 Golf and NB, 2004 and early 2005 Jetta sedan, 2004-06 Jetta wagon).

Probably a tie 4th place to the BRM A5 cars and the BHW B5 cars, both of which have their pros and cons, and are both very different cars.

Of the CR era (2009-15) cars, it is more murky. One in part due to differences within that range, including a total of five different engines (we are keeping with the 4 cyl cars here), and several platforms. Add in Dieselgate, which is mostly been nominal to not good to downright awful, depending on one's particular experiences, it gets even more murky.

But on the flip side, the buyback cars represent a really awesome deal under most instances, and of course you are getting a much (decade+ in some instances) newer car, so there's that.

And that last part (age, mileage, just general "use") can have a large effect on the overall integrity of a specific example of car. From a mere statistic, I myself would trust a well cared for 250k mile ALH+manual car more than I would a 25k mile 2015 buyback TDI. And I know that may sound crazy, but realize I am in and around Volkswagens every day. Does not mean I do not like, or appreciate, or covet the newer ones. But I do not think they will ever be able to capture lightning in a bottle again. I think those early to middle 2000s cars are going to go down in history as the best of the best, and the high water mark in many respects of the Volkswagen world, gas OR diesel.

Last edited:

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
I like simple, and something I can repair myself. most cars are purposefully manufactured far more complicated than they need to be, just so no one can repair them

if we ever had any problems with the pump or computer, Id convert it to a M-tdi in a heartbeat to eliminate future problems.

she isnt married to a diesel, the manual trans is a requirement. but the gasser VWs seem to be notoriously unreliable, and difficult for a shadetree mechanic to work on

if they build the gasser engines like the do the HVAC blend doors, taking extra machining steps on purpose to gaurentee it will break a few years down the road, thats something I can do without.

my daily driver from 1996 to 2010 was a 74 Bronco that I added fuel injection, disc brakes and power steering.

my sons daily is a 65 Falcon or a 76 chevy pickup with a LS swap and a 5 speed.

if I could get Mrs in a 60s Mustang or other car with a 90s engine and AC I wouldnt be asking about tdi's

I hate to spend more than the car is worth to keep it on the road, but I also dont want to get something thats not reliable,

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep the Beetle. Forget about what the car's worth, I maintain it doesn't matter unless you plan to sell it immediately. As the car sits it's probably barely worth $2K, and you won't get anything better for that amount of money.

I bought an ALH Golf for my son a few years ago for $1K. It was a high mileage, well maintained car, but it needed some love. We've spent several times the purchase price of the car on repairs, but he's driven the car 120K miles in that time. If we compared it to almost anything else it's still a bargain. And a great car to drive.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah, I don't focus on the present blue book value either. I think it's worth looking at what the savings are and I spend less than most do on payments to keep mine going and getting better.

Personally if I was really looking into getting something new, I would be looking at a Honda hybrid like my girlfriend has. Crazy thing is her fuel mileage isn't really any better than mine gets in the highway. It just gets it in town also.

The newer the TDI, the less the fuel mileage. I think the only exception I've heard was a sport wagon a buddy had, and it still want as good...

I just put new Spec-D headlights on it and wow what a difference and great improvement! Small upgrades can make a huge difference...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Yeah, I don't focus on the present blue book value either. I think it's worth looking at what the savings are and I spend less than most do on payments to keep mine going and getting better.

Personally if I was really looking into getting something new, I would be looking at a Honda hybrid like my girlfriend has. Crazy thing is her fuel mileage isn't really any better than mine gets in the highway. It just gets it in town also.

The newer the TDI, the less the fuel mileage. I think the only exception I've heard was a sport wagon a buddy had, and it still want as good...

I just put new Spec-D headlights on it and wow what a difference and great improvement! Small upgrades can make a huge difference...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

oh, we wont be getting anything new.
and the Mrs wants a manual trans, so that eliminates 98% of late model vehicles.

Im 54 and I have never and will never buy a brand new car.
and the MPG isnt a concern for me, everyone worries about the MPG and doesnt consider that the depreciation costs them alot more than the fuel.
for the last 10 years Ive had a take home service truck, usually a crew cab 4WD 3/4 ton pickup

so for the family truckster, I get large comfortable 6-10 yr old 4 wd SUVs at an auction, for about $4,000 and put about 100-150K on it and sell it,and go get another one. last year I got a 06 4wd expedition from the original owner with 90K on it, fr $4000, since thats what the Buick dealer offered as a trade in. it cost $48K new. the owner lost $44K in depreciation, verses about $20K in fuel.

and I think that every dollar you save on fuel with a small car gets spent on maintenance and repairs, since small fuel efficient cars always always cost alot more to repair than a large gas guzzling pickup or SUV

the alternator swap on the beetle takes 6 to 9 hours.
it took 28 minutes on the Expedition, cause I timed it with a stopwatch, and it cost $150 verses $650 for the VW alternator

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Mr Roundhouse, perhaps the alternators you have put in were the reason you had to keep replacing them.
We have 2 MkIV cars and both have about 220k miles but only one of them has needed a new alternator.
It was replaced with a Bosch OEM one. Once.

If the driver of the current TDI Beetle is indifferent to wanting a diesel and MPG's are of little interest then maybe find a buyer for it and look for something else.

The reason most of the people read this site is because we are kind of passionate about diesels and the characteristics they have and the mileage they deliver.
YMMV.

Last edited:

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Mr Roundhouse, perhaps the alternators you have put in were the reason you had to keep replacing them.
We have 2 MkIV cars and both have about 220k miles but only one of them has needed a new alternator.
It was replaced with a Bosch OEM one. Once.

If the driver of the current TDI Beetle is indifferent to wanting a diesel and MPG's are of little interest then maybe find a buyer for it and look for something else.

The reason most of the people read this site is because we are kind of passionate about diesels and the characteristics they have and the mileage they deliver.
YMMV.
She wants a beetle ,
with a manual trans, sunroof and heated seats .
Maybe a convertible but I’m guessing they are as floppy spaghetti framed as the rabbit

Either keep the one we got or get another one
We’ve had the one we got painted a few years ago , the monkey snot lime green fades in a hurry , and had the door panels covered in leather and the leather seats repaired

This is the second one we’ve had , both tdi’s

We kinda tripped over the first one , she wanted a beetle or maybe a rabbit convertible and we stopped by a stealership near where she worked and she walked in and asked to see the cheapest used beetle they had, sales weasel took us to a black beetle ,
“This one is $3,500, unfortunately it’s a diesel with a manual transmission.”

The rabbit convertible gasser five speed , had hardly any power, and felt really floppy , you could see and feel the body twisting

The beetle tdi has plenty of power and felt solid as a rock after driving the rabbit convertible

I like the tdi ,

The beetle has never gotten over 35
My golf got 44 every tank

I know zero about the Vw gasser engines except I’ve heard they break down more than a Kia and cost more than a mercedes To repair

If we get a VW gasser , might as well get the TT , it’s just a beetle with a lower roof and no back seat .

I like the looks of the Dune edition but they are all automatic trans , and $10k more than the exact same beetle without the fender flares
Would love to get a tdi manual trans and add the dune plastic package

I don’t mind getting a newer beetle tdi
I just don’t want to get one that chews up camshafts that’s the VW version of the Ford 6.0 diesel that self destructs

And where we live the diesels are exempt from the emission test
The check engine light and air bag light are permanently on in our beetle
No one can figure out why

I’d hate to have a gasser Vw that requires constant repairs to keep the engine light off and pass the emission check , all they do is plug their computer into the car , they don’t do any actual testing .

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My 2000 Jetta 5-speed had 45k miles on when I purchased it in March, 2002. I drove it daily with my work and most weekends until I retired, March 31, 2008. During those 6 years, I was averaging no less than 36k miles per year. By the time I retired, it had about 265k miles on it. Over the next 10 years, I hardly put 10k miles per year on it.

I kept a very detailed Excel Spreadsheet on "all" expenses, including MPGs. During those 6 years, I had maybe a dozen tanks (always filled to the top) that got less than 50 mpg. About 2012 or 13, I quit keeping up with the spreadsheet. At that point, the average MPGs had dropped under 50.

Although my son had been driving it as a relay vehicle with his work for about the last three years, I officially put it in his name this past summer at about 373k miles on it. I did a TB job among other things to it. I cannot imagine it not making it to 500k miles.

OP, I like working on the Golfs and Jettas much more so than the Beetles. I've done about everything imaginable to them, including repair of the blend doors.

I replaced the 2000 Jetta with my brother's 2003 Jetta. It has a 2001 engine in it (I installed it.). The 03 engine blew on him at 70 mph on I-75 just north of Chattanooga. The place he bought the car had done an Intake cleaning without cleaning the ports in the head.... that crud broke off and destroyed the engine. Anyway, the 2001 engine has about 314k miles on it. I expect it to last me for many years and miles, as like you, I don't plan to buy a new car ever.

Like others, I'd not be concerned about the current value or what it would cost to make it dependable for another 100k miles. The ALH engine is awesome!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought a new stop sale 2015 Beetle just for the warranty. The buy back cars can be a great value and you don't have to work on them, VW does, at least until the long long warranty runs out. I would look for a 2015 low mileage car.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
I bought a new stop sale 2015 Beetle just for the warranty. The buy back cars can be a great value and you don't have to work on them, VW does, at least until the long long warranty runs out. I would look for a 2015 low mileage car.

Does the warranty go with the car or just the first person who buys it from the stealership after the fix ?
Is it like a bumper to bumper or just for the emission components ?

I see a lot of 2013-15 for sale from small private car lots
And a few from individuals and of course at Vw dealerships
Not one single ad mentions that the car was part of the buy back or “fixed”or anything

How do you find out which ones have been fixed and how much warranty is left on it ?

Did Vw auction them all off or are they selling them thru the dealerships ?
I usually don’t look at stealership or a used car lot for cars , as they are almost always way overpriced by thousands .
Although we bought our first beetle in about 2005 , used at a stealership and the check engine light came on about three miles away after we bought it and headed home , we took it back and they did a lot of repair work even though it had no warranty
It was all repairs that should have been made before they ever put it on the lot but they fixed it at no additional cost to us

I usually just do my own repairs , even though we have extra cars to drive , it’s a real pain to leave a car at a stealership for a month to get something sort of halfway fixed
Vw dealerships are not exactly famous for making quality repairs in a timely manner

I know zero about the warranty fix details , a friend has two JSWs but he wouldn’t sell them back or let Vw “fix” them, he didn’t want the mpg cut in half

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Do a little reading about the fix and the warranty. Search here, or just pull the warranty up on the web. It's for the emissions system, which includes most engine components (fuel system, turbo, manifolds, etc.) for 4 years or 48K after the fix was performed or 11 years 162K since original in service date and mileage. It goes with the car, not the owner.

But I'm guessing you'd prefer a MKIV Beetle. It also sounds like you've got some work and expense invested in what you have. I'd just repair it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You don't sound like someone who'd be happy relying on a dealership for warranty work. The 2.5L I5 VW's from '09 onward are quite reliable and easy to work on, btw. Not bad if you can live with 30 mpg on regular unleaded.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Honestly VW is not a reliable car. They have always ranked very low on the JD power rank of problems per 100 cars. Well below standard. Tdis are great engines, especially the older ones. Parts are hard to come by on mk3s and are getting scarce for mk4s.
If you want reliability go buy a honda accord or Subaru forester. Or Toyota Camry. They all get fantastic milage and last a long time. If you have the $ for maintenance go buy a used Porsche cayenne. With a little bit of service they will go as long as a tdi. 75% of porsches made are still in the road today. You cant say that about VW.

You cant say VW is reliable when industry standards have places them so low on the map.
But to answere your question it's probably the ALH engine in an mk4 5 speed manual.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Honestly VW is not a reliable car. They have always ranked very low on the JD power rank of problems per 100 cars. Well below standard. Tdis are great engines, especially the older ones. Parts are hard to come by on mk3s and are getting scarce for mk4s.
If you want reliability go buy a honda accord or Subaru forester. Or Toyota Camry. They all get fantastic milage and last a long time. If you have the $ for maintenance go buy a used Porsche cayenne. With a little bit of service they will go as long as a tdi. 75% of porsches made are still in the road today. You cant say that about VW.

You cant say VW is reliable when industry standards have places them so low on the map.
But to answere your question it's probably the ALH engine in an mk4 5 speed manual.

I couldn’t believe how much the Porsche’s depreciate so quickly
I’ve seen a couple of nice Cayennes for under $6k

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Parts are hard to come by on mk3s and are getting scarce for mk4s.
This is only half correct. MKIII parts are scarce, but I'm hard pressed to think of anything that's NLA for MKIVs, except for some interior trim pieces. VW built so many of these for so many markets I'm confident that parts will continue to be available for a long time to come.

Regarding reliability, when properly maintained, MKIV TDIs are very reliable, in my experience. Sure they need repairs when things wear out, but I've experienced very, very few unexpected failures on any of the 6 MKIVs my family has owned. My Wagon has only stranded me twice in 17 plus years and 400K miles. And one of those was because of a failed lift pump (modification). Seems pretty good to me.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you cant buy oem non reman parts for most wear and tear items any more and the failure rate for remaned (even OEM parts) is like 30% especially for axles, starters, alts, calipers and so forth. i should say that (quality parts) are hard to come by for older cars now.
I measure a cars reliability with how far it will go with poor maintenance or very little of it.

all cars devalue very quickly, high end cars especially because only the wealthy buy them new.

The problem with a $6K Cayenne is that the maintenance (even though its low in amount to do like most cars) is crazy high in price. Your buying a car that has the maintenance cost of a $100,000 car, not a $20,000 car. the headlight on those old 2000's models is $600+, our VW's, $80 lol and the brakes and pads are $$$$$ for them compared. you don't want to know how much an airbag costs lol.
There is a local guy to me who has a CayenneS 2002 for $1,800. it has a tap in the engine, it's no necessarily a hard job, $3K for the parts to fix it, it's a sticky lifter and the valve train needs to be replaced to do it. I am so tempted to do the work but i like how my ford costs me NOTHING to repair when things go south.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
I don’t buy any stuff like starters or alternators or water pumps from auto zone or some other store
They are all made in China garbage

I get those type of parts from the dealer or have the starters and Alts rebuilt at a local shop

We’ve not had too much problem with the 2000 beetle
Just the usual parts that every car company makes out of plastic because making them from metal would cost another three cents per car

Window regulator
Couple of alternators
Rad fans
Blend door tape repair
The rear shock mounts don’t last more than a couple of years and of course the bushing is cast into the aluminum so you gotta throw away the metal mount and buy a new one instead of swapping out a rubber doughnut

One rear wheel bearing
Usual stuff for a 20 yr old car with over 200k miles

We will Probabaly just make the repairs and keep driving it

That $1,800 Cayenne is begging for an LS swap .....
You can get complete LS takeouts with all accessories and harness and computer for $750 all day long

We have done two LS transplants , in my driveway , I don’t even have a garage .

We drove a 65 Falcon station wagon from Atlanta to Daytona at thanksgiving
Lowered with a full race 302 and a C4 trans with no overdrive and got 14 mpg .
Used up all the fuel that gets saved by commuting with the tdi

Pondered doing a tdi/m transplant into the falcon
30-35 mpg would make it a nice driver but a high compression 302 and a cam with lots of overlap Sounds Soooooo good when it’s idling .

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't listen to Mongler. Recommending a used Cayenne to somebody who says reliability and ease of maintenance is paramount is just plain stupid. Don't go that route.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't listen to Mongler. Recommending a used Cayenne to somebody who says reliability and ease of maintenance is paramount is just plain stupid. Don't go that route.
ive done 100% of the mechanical work (not the body work) to my bosses 2002 Cayenne. that thing gets 22 mpg, very low maintenance, solid as a rock, and is at 380K miles and looks nearly new. other than fluids and a few upgrades to PREVENT issues (like the coolant lines under the intake manifold from plastic to metal, its been a very easy car to work on. Parts are $$$$$$$ but over all its been 100% reliable and never stranded him on the road. Granted that tires are 15K life and cost $1800 every time lol. These cayennes are an odd breed as there the first SUV they made and most of them out pace VW TDI's by far. Not many cars can say that they look nearly new and still everything works past 150K let alone 300K. VW take a lot of work to get to that point to keep the car together around the engine of a TDI.
on the other hand same boss, his 99 Euro Van has 110 miles on it and has costs well over 2x the cost in maintenance to get to the same odometer reading as the Cayenne at this point. its falling apart in places but over all still looks really nice. Garage kept helps big time.
unless you own and have worked on a Porsche, don't talk about them. you just don't know.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thing is, I have worked on a few Porsches. And I call bs on the 380k mile Cayenne story. No Porsche ever made has gone 380k miles, lol. Only slight hyperbole there. Great cars, and absolute money pits. But the OP has turned a wrench or two and already knows that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Mongler talking out the wrong end as usual. I guess he does not know the Cayenne is mostly the same thing as a Touareg. LOL.

My Volkswagens are all reliable. No worries here.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
For the MKIV: Valeo (oe supplier) makes new starters and alternators; Garrett (oe supplier) makes turbos; Geba, Hepu, Graf, and others make new water pumps (pumps from the dealer are reman); Behr (oe supplier) makes new cooling system and A/C components; Sanden (oe supplier) makes new A/C compressors; you can still buy OE steering racks, axle bushings, control arms, axles...I could go on.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Glad to see I'm not the only one with a low opinion of Monglers abilities.....or lack thereof

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I have a 20 year old New Beetle. If it weren't for all the good people on this forum, I probably would have sold it years ago.

The ALH is a great engine but the wiring issues in these cars was almost enough to make me light the car on fire but tdiclub saved the car from a toasty death many times.

Mixed into the lower ratings referred by Mongler would undoubtedly be the 01m weakness!

Now, the Beetle just runs and behaves so well. I have forgotten how to use the Rosstech software because I haven't had to use it in so long. We don't use the car as much these days but when we do it is pulling the trailer around the west coast.

I don't know of many small cars that could out perform it and still tow a trailer:)

GO ALH GO!

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
I have a 20 year old New Beetle. If it weren't for all the good people on this forum, I probably would have sold it years ago.

The ALH is a great engine but the wiring issues in these cars was almost enough to make me light the car on fire but tdiclub saved the car from a toasty death many times.

Mixed into the lower ratings referred by Mongler would undoubtedly be the 01m weakness!

Now, the Beetle just runs and behaves so well. I have forgotten how to use the Rosstech software because I haven't had to use it in so long. We don't use the car as much these days but when we do it is pulling the trailer around the west coast.

I don't know of many small cars that could out perform it and still tow a trailer:)

GO ALH GO!

same here.

I recently replaced the O rings in the injector pump cover and theres no way I could have done that without the info on here.

couldnt replace the alternator either.
I think the official Volkswagen repair manual starts with "begin by removing both front fenders"

cookk

TDI
2011 Jetta
Just purchased a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Premium from a VW dealer yesterday. My understanding is the warranty is 10 yrs from date of manufacture yes covers emission systems and some more components. Does not cover transmission. BUT- mine had 33,000 miles and was CERTIFIED - so has a 2yr (from my date of purchase) Bumper-Bumper full warranty on everything except of course wearable items such as brakes etc. at just under $13k for a top of the line model with leather, heated seats, sunroof, Fender stereo etc etc - I thought it was a good buy with that warranty!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The best one is the one that was cared for and serviced when required. There are some very good deals on the buy back cars. You can do $2200 work on your current car and it will still be the same car only driviable and will still need work. It will not be as safe as a newer car either. I sold my redone 2003 as my trusted mechanic moved away and bought a brand new 2015 Beetle in 2017 (stop sale car) instead. It has worked out very well for me so far. I would consider one if I were you. A 2015 Passat if I had my choice.