Block Heater Cord No Longer Included?

automobiliben

TDI
2010 Audi A3
I picked up my car on Tuesday (it was ordered back in Feb. but was a European Delivery car) and I didn't receive the cord to plug the block heater in. I sent an e-mail to the dealership and they told me that it is no longer being included in with the car, is this true? When I ordered the car it was still included with it...

3waygeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Seems strange to me -- what good is the block heater without the cord? Do you actually have the block heater (plug is on the front driver's side near the fog light, under a cover)? Looking at the Audi US website, it looks like the 2011 A3 TDI doesn't include the heater; at least it isn't mentioned anywhere I can see.

If you haven't done so, check the pocket in the rear passenger side hatch, glove box, or in the spare tire well (maybe even under the spare where it'd be hard to see). When I took delivery on mine in Feb, it was in the glove box.

Then again, since yours was an ED car, they may not have included the cord, since Europe has different voltage/plug than NA.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
Dodge has been doing that for a few years now as well. Cost savings. The cord is retarded expensive from the dealer too, I think something like $60.

automobiliben

TDI
2010 Audi A3
Yep, my car is equipped with it. I might take this up with Audi in addition to other things they will hopefully be doing for me since my car took about a month longer than they claimed for re-delivery...

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
2011 a3

Automobiliben,

I am planning on getting the 2011 A3, sometime in late summer next year and possibly a European delivery. How did yours work, did they include a factory tour, ticket and visas? Either send me a PM or e-mail. Thanks

Suparag

I picked up my car on Tuesday (it was ordered back in Feb. but was a European Delivery car) and I didn't receive the cord to plug the block heater in. I sent an e-mail to the dealership and they told me that it is no longer being included in with the car, is this true? When I ordered the car it was still included with it...

automobiliben

TDI
2010 Audi A3
Automobiliben,

I am planning on getting the 2011 A3, sometime in late summer next year and possibly a European delivery. How did yours work, did they include a factory tour, ticket and visas? Either send me a PM or e-mail. Thanks

Suparag
Do you have an account on audi world? I have a detailed trip report there under their european delivery sub forum...

Oh, to add to this, audi claimed that the cord isn't included and that it is $140 at the dealership, I will be calling them back because everyone I have talked to sats that it was included.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Wow. I wonder what's the cord size? I won't be surprised it's a 16/3-14/3 cord and is it UL/CSA rated?

For around $20-30 max you can get a ready made 12/3 heater cord. Or you can make your own with UL/CSA rated Noma heater cord by the foot + 2 UL/CSA rated internal/external plugs

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Makes me glad I have a frostheater in my car... What rubbish to expect owners who coughed up a crapload of money for the car in the FIRST place.:mad:

3waygeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Wow. I wonder what's the cord size? I won't be surprised it's a 16/3-14/3 cord and is it UL/CSA rated?

For around $20-30 max you can get a ready made 12/3 heater cord. Or you can make your own with UL/CSA rated Noma heater cord by the foot + 2 UL/CSA rated internal/external plugs
It's a 16/3 cord, UL/CSA rated to 300VAC and 105 degrees C. The plug on the car end looks like a propietary item -- circular with bits cut out to ensure it can be inserted only one way, and 3 sockets spaced in a roughly equilateral triangle (the pins are on the car end).

The safety sticker on the cord says it's specified for 120V, 15A (1800 W), and the Audi part # is 5K0 965 539. ECS Tuning lists it for $130.71.

Last edited:

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
I'd be willing to be that it's just a generic block heater/hot plug cord that parts stores carry. I bought one for my truck a while back after I cut the factory one with a grinder by mistake. It was something around $10 for a 6ft long one.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
It's a 16/3 cord, UL/CSA rated to 300VAC and 105 degrees C. The plug on the car end looks like a propietary item -- circular with bits cut out to ensure it can be inserted only one way, and 3 sockets spaced in a roughly equilateral triangle (the pins are on the car end).

The safety sticker on the cord says it's specified for 120V, 15A (1800 W), and the Audi part # is 5K0 965 539. ECS Tuning lists it for $130.71.
Wow, $130.71 for a 16/3 heater cord? And my guess it would be about a 6' cord length. I would upgrade it to 14/3 or better still 12/3 heater cord. A 10' ready made one won't cost more than $50 and I would think -don't have the spec- it'll handle more than 15A (1800W) load. I know 12/3 sounds overkilling for a heater cord, but the thicker the wire the less resistance is.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
If that heater is really 1800 watts then a 16 gauge cord is way too small! 14 gauge would be bare min and like you said 12 gauge would be smart.

I don't know what 16 AWG wire is rated to since it's not used in homes, but #12 is for 20 amp and #14 for 15 amp circuits.

I am wondering about the 1800 watts though, that is very high for a block heater. The factory heater on the 5.9L Cummins is 700-750w and that is fairly large for a heater. Most gas engine ones are around 500 watts.

3waygeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI
The 1800W is what was specified on the safety sticker on the cord -- I have no idea if the heater actually draws anywhere near that, as I haven't used it yet. I got my A3 at the end of February when temps here in Atlanta were starting to warm up.

A bit more on the car end of the cord -- the circular socket is about 3/4" across, and has two angluar cutouts so it looks a bit like a mushroom, with a roundish head and a stem that gets wider as it goes to the bottom. The cord itself is stamped "UL CSA LL43774 SJOOW 16AWG3XC 105°C".

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
Does it even get cold enough in GA to need a heater? I don't normally worry about plugging anything in unless it's well below 0*

sc32valve

TDI
02 Golf TDI, 10 A3 TDI
I just took delivery of a 2010 A3 on 7/9/10. The cable was not in the car on delivery, but I asked immediately where it was. They order a free replacement before I took the car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I know 12/3 sounds overkilling for a heater cord, but the thicker the wire the less resistance is.
I don't want to be nit picky, but the resistance of a 12/3 and 16/3 cord will nearly identical. Hell, take some 30 gauge wire wrap the same 6-10 foot length as a blockheater cord and it'll damn close to the same resistance.

The reason to go up to the larger gauge up isn't resistance, it's the more copper you have between two points the more current it will be able to handle without melting the insulation.

kirkus

TDI
'11 A3 S-Line TDI
i must post a retraction. the owners manual says that the cables are provided in Canada (lucky dawgs) but not the US.

blueprintbill

TDI
A3 TDI 2011
Block heater Cord Update

I have just called the dealer who sold me my 2011 Audi A3 TDI , 3 months ago, ( Herb Chambers Audi - Burlington MA ) and inquired about the power cord for the block heater. I was told it was now $230.01 and the part no. was IKO819031D. This must be one hell of an extension cord ?!! ( gold plated plug ?? )
Is there any other alternative? :mad: