MN Chat Thread

gertimus1

TDI
2004 jetta wagon 1.9 5 speed, 2004 Passat TDI Wagon automatic
timing belt change time

I am approachng 90,000 and need to get the timing belt changed on my 04 tdi 5spd, about 2 years ago I read in this forum about someone from Maple Grove MN who can come to your house and change the belt at a very good price - I live in Minnetonka - if he is not doing it now is there someone else who I can either take it to or whatever instead of using a dealer? last 4 tanks using holiday deisel I have gotten 53mpg and last tank got only 49.7 at a BP - heard Shell has best cetane rating - any reccomendations on best fuel is also appreciated. Driving habits do not change as route is always the same - 90 mile round trip with no stops (wadena to detroit lakes during the week each day)

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
That would have been Deafbug, but he doesn't do Timeing belts for PD engines. Contact GreenGeeker it would be well worlth the drive to Northbranch.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
passatmrb said:
MethylEstr let us know how the Jetta does with the BD from Wanamingo. In my work ride I'm getting 57mpg with a 5th gear mod on the wagon @ 65mph with the a/c on. Also just a heads up. Anyone using this fuel should be aware of the fuel separation temp, it's 58*F. We had some problems this spring at the Northfield B/D Co-op. The fuel separated out. The Co-op did replace the fuel.
So far so good on the B98.

With the fuel being 15% animal fat derived the 58 F separation doesn't surprise me. That is about the temp where the wax crystals should start to form, at least from the animal fat methylesters.

Do you know if they ended up with a waxy type layer in the bottom of that tank ??

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
When I pulled samples from the two tanks that had the problem, samples looked like bad chocolate milk. One also separated into 3 layers in about a week.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
MPLSTDI said:
That would have been Deafbug, but he doesn't do Timeing belts for PD engines. Contact GreenGeeker it would be well worlth the drive to Northbranch.
Excuse me? I won't do the timing belt for the BRM engines but I still do the BEW engines.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
passatmrb said:
When I pulled samples from the two tanks that had the problem, samples looked like bad chocolate milk. One also separated into 3 layers in about a week.
3 Layers !!

Only way I can think of that happening is if there was glycerine as the bottom layer, wax crystals from the animal fat methylesters as the middle layer, and finally the good soy based BD as the top layer.

Top two layers don't concern me. But if that bottom layer was indeed unwashed/separated glycerine then I'm concerned about coking up my nozzles.

Hopefully you're not experiencing any problems, doesn't sound like it if you're getting 57 mpg. Niiiice !!!

What exactly was your transmission mod ?? Which 5th gear set did you end up with ?? Any idea as to what the rpm reduction was at 55 and 65 mph ??

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
The three layers are what I though also. The 5th gear mod was a switch from the 755 to a 681, when I needed to do a rebuild. So far 2000 rpm is 63 mph. 70mph b-4 was about 2700

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
passatmrb said:
The three layers are what I though also. The 5th gear mod was a switch from the 755 to a 681, when I needed to do a rebuild. So far 2000 rpm is 63 mph. 70mph b-4 was about 2700
Any particular reason you chose the 681 over the 658 ??

And I've also heard that some people lose the cruise control functionality when they do this mod. Did you experience any cruise control problems ?

Russell G.

TDI
2001 Jetta
Bio-Diesel question

passatmrb said:
I was wondering now with Summer and all.......where is the place that has the 90% soy mixture sold. I have 252,000 on my TDI and it seems I would try some of the "better blends" if available. I travel most of Minnesota for my job; and live in South Metro area. Any input / ideas would be welcomed. Thanks.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Sorry DB, i'll be over in Sconny next weekend with the truck and camper.

Did about 5500 miles in the last month on the TDI, mostly 800 mile tanks (as you can guess long trips) mostly under 70 corrected MPH

Vollmer

TDI
none
So, I'm having my first issue with my 2002 Jetta TDI. My engine light came on a couple times. Each time I scanned my car, it came up with the same thing....cylinder 4 glowplug circuit. I took it to a shop and my mechanic said that all the glow plugs as well as their connections were reading properly. He suggested that we change the glowplug controller and I gave consent. This was on Monday. On Wednesday, my engine light came back on and ran the same code. Anyone have any ideas on what else could be wrong? Thanks in advance!

GGC

TDI
2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, Blue Lagoon
There's a sticky in TDI 101 called Glow Plugs 2.0 that is chock full of great information about diagnosing glow plug issues.

That being said, I had the same issue with my 2k2 Jetta, and the problem ended up being the harness. Before you replace it, it's worth a shot to try to clean the connections with Deoxit. It didn't work for me, but it's easier and cheaper than replacing the harness (not that replacing the harness is difficult).

Cheers!

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
2x on reading the above mentioned Glow Plug sticky - lots of good info

Just diagnosed a Glow plug CEL that came up recently. From reading the Glow Plug 101 sticky it mentions that the resistance for all the glow plugs needs to be within a very narrow range of each other. None of the glow plugs can have a resistance more than a range of 0.2 - 0.5 ohms from each other.

I had one glow plug that was reading in excess of 1.3 ohms from the other three. Replaced this one, which was the #4 glow plug, deleted the CEL, and it has remained off.

Ordered the glow plugs from TDI parts, a set of 4 for around $60. Dealer wanted $48 for one glow plug.

Also you will need to identify which type of glow plug your car uses. There are two different manufactures. You will need to be consistent with all 4 glow plugs.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
well, i finally did it: vnt17/22 install and pd150 intake manifold with "custom" intake pipe

http://picasaweb.google.com/burpod/TurboInstall

it's been a tough job, but nearly there. just need to get some custom IC pipes made, hopefully that will happen monday. in the mean time i'm going to change my fm100 fuel filter and move it to the old oem location so i can install a oil bypass filter...

if anyone is bored tomorrow (sat), email me. impromptu gtg?

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
SCCA Jetta TDI Cup

I know we are all thinking about the Fest.
But is anyone thinking about attending the SCCA Jetta TDI Cup race the weekend of Sept. 20 down in Iowa? It is about 40 minutes east of Des Moines.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I see that Jeff (RC) is going to the Michigan Summer GTG, I would like a RC1+ sometime next year. Would anyone else be interested? I think if we plan it out and have enough chips lined up we could have a GTG with Jeff.

(BTW Michigan is a little too far to drive for a chip)

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
canast said:
I know we are all thinking about the Fest.
But is anyone thinking about attending the SCCA Jetta TDI Cup race the weekend of Sept. 20 down in Iowa? It is about 40 minutes east of Des Moines.
How about having our own regional SCCA TDI Cup race GTG and we can autox on our TDI's.;)

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
I have not found any Soy BD at a good price. The last fill at Winamingo was $4.11. 15% soy 85% animal fat. The gear swap was what I found at the time.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
passatmrb said:
I have not found any Soy BD at a good price. The last fill at Winamingo was $4.11. 15% soy 85% animal fat. The gear swap was what I found at the time.
Yeah, I'm not happy about the animal fat. I just changed my injectors last year and I'd rather not see them get all varnished so fast. Filter changes I can deal with.
Lets hope the U of MN gets the prairie fuel/switchgrass reactions up to industrial speed and efficiency.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
burpod said:
if anyone is bored tomorrow (sat), email me. impromptu gtg?
So you are in fact in the central time zone again? (hard to keep track)

Let me know when you're going to be in the area, I'd love to go for a ride again - this time using more than 1/2 throttle.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI'watcher said:
Yeah, I'm not happy about the animal fat. I just changed my injectors last year and I'd rather not see them get all varnished so fast. Filter changes I can deal with.
Lets hope the U of MN gets the prairie fuel/switchgrass reactions up to industrial speed and efficiency.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the varnishes were from the remaining glycerine that has not been washed out. Never heard of the methylesters from any source as being the cause.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
greengeeker said:
So you are in fact in the central time zone again? (hard to keep track)

Let me know when you're going to be in the area, I'd love to go for a ride again - this time using more than 1/2 throttle.
i've been in the "area" for a couple weeks now. just need some IC pipes bent and then ready to start 'er up! or i might just drive the 6 miles with turbo unplugged to get the pipes fit. not sure...

i'll be around for anther week or so here. hopefully i can get the piping done early this week, but won't want to open it up fully for 50 miles or so. after that we can see how it works :D as long as it doesn't blow up...

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Folks, I'm up for an RC1 plus, not sure if my clutch is. B4 the early school start I was hoping to go to the fest for a "upgrade".

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Vollmer said:
So, I'm having my first issue with my 2002 Jetta TDI. My engine light came on a couple times. Each time I scanned my car, it came up with the same thing....cylinder 4 glowplug circuit. I took it to a shop and my mechanic said that all the glow plugs as well as their connections were reading properly. He suggested that we change the glowplug controller and I gave consent. This was on Monday. On Wednesday, my engine light came back on and ran the same code. Anyone have any ideas on what else could be wrong? Thanks in advance!
Send me a PM my buddy can take a look at it and diagnosis properly.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
anyone know of anyone who needs a well-running kp39 turbo? mine's off my car... tryin to sell it before i move this next month... :) in need of $$ ... hehe