MN Chat Thread

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
Bio

The Co-op in Winamingo has BD 100. Last time I was in was $4.01 9/10. Hwy 60 & 57. About 20 mile from Faribault, east. I have been buying there for the last 3 yrs. Mike

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
passatmrb said:
The Co-op in Winamingo has BD 100. Last time I was in was $4.01 9/10. Hwy 60 & 57. About 20 mile from Faribault, east. I have been buying there for the last 3 yrs. Mike
Thanks Mike. Which Co-op is that ? Have to take a couple of 5 gal jugs and fill up.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
MethylEster said:
Thanks Mike. Which Co-op is that ? Have to take a couple of 5 gal jugs and fill up.
I believe it is the Cenex at the southeast corner of highways 57 and 60.

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
Bio

Yes. Thats the one. You will need to pick up during Reg hours so they can do the paper work for the blenders credit. Sat hours are 7:30am-11:30am.

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
MPG increasing

Ever since spring my MPG's have been increasing in my 98 bug, I went from 42 to 45 to 46 to 49 now. Havent changed my driving habits and driving about 50% city. My question is, I am near my 10k oil change do you think that the oil could be the factor? Just food for thought.

Later

Nick

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
cochranecustoms said:
Ever since spring my MPG's have been increasing in my 98 bug, I went from 42 to 45 to 46 to 49 now. Havent changed my driving habits and driving about 50% city. My question is, I am near my 10k oil change do you think that the oil could be the factor? Just food for thought.
You'd better hope that it's not the oil. Viscosity has only a very tiny effect on fuel economy. If the oil was even partially responsible, then it would have to shear down to a 20-weight viscosity or even thinner. And realistically, the only way for this to happen would be with significant fuel contamination.

What's more likely is that your starting point, 42 mpg, was in the winter or early spring, when the fuel was still heavily winterized. And when it took longer for the engine to reach normal operating temperature. Those conditions no longer apply.

It's not unusual for TDI owners in the northern states to see their best fuel economy this time of year. Even heavy use of the AC doesn't seem to hurt fuel economy as bad as conditions in the cold months of winter.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
MethylEster said:
I have run a few tanks so far and blend it to B50 or so. If you ask Dave he will print you out the ASTM testing spec sheet. Last I heard the plant they were buying from is using about 15% animal byproduct stock and 85% soy. It's not as sparkling as the stock last year that was 90% soy.

Car smells kinda like cheeseburgers on a propane grill. ;)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
TDI'watcher said:
Last I heard the plant they were buying from is using about 15% animal byproduct stock and 85% soy. It's not as sparkling as the stock last year that was 90% soy.

As long as it doesn't smell like the downwind side of a slaughterhouse or a rendering plant.

A-Mark

TDI
03 Jetta
My starter is sticking upon initial startup making that terrible noise.... It starts every time, so I am wondering if it just needs to be cleaned and lubricated. I really want to do this myself, but I am just not confident enough to tackle it on my own. I think I could probably do it, but would love some help from someone a little more experienced.

Does anyone have the time or is willing to help me tackle this? I would greatly appreciate it. I can come to you if that makes it easier.

let me know. - Aaron

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
A-Mark said:
My starter is sticking upon initial startup making that terrible noise.... It starts every time, so I am wondering if it just needs to be cleaned and lubricated. I really want to do this myself, but I am just not confident enough to tackle it on my own. I think I could probably do it, but would love some help from someone a little more experienced.

Does anyone have the time or is willing to help me tackle this? I would greatly appreciate it. I can come to you if that makes it easier.

let me know. - Aaron
greengeeker and MNmiser have a shop up in North Branch...not too far for you. I'm sure they can help you out...send them a PM. They do have day jobs but they'll take care of you.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI'watcher said:
I have run a few tanks so far and blend it to B50 or so. If you ask Dave he will print you out the ASTM testing spec sheet. Last I heard the plant they were buying from is using about 15% animal byproduct stock and 85% soy. It's not as sparkling as the stock last year that was 90% soy.

Why do I have this " Cheeseburgers in Paradise " song going through my head ??

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
A-Mark said:

let me know. - Aaron
THere is a How To post in the TDI 101 for removing and cleaning starters. I never done it but I know I would at some point as our cars start to age. I can help but I am packing up as the house is sold and we close on the 30th.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
TDI'watcher said:

Their phone number is 507-824-2281.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
DeafBug said:
THere is a How To post in the TDI 101 for removing and cleaning starters. I never done it but I know I would at some point as our cars start to age. I can help but I am packing up as the house is sold and we close on the 30th.
DeafBug, I'm glad to hear your house sold. Does that mean that he divorce is getting close to final?

A-Mark

TDI
03 Jetta
DeafBug said:
Yeah, I have read the how-to. I am tempted to just try it myself, but I would feel more comfortable with someone's help.

Brad - Congrats on selling the house. that has to feel good.

If anyone is willing to lend a hand, I can compensate you a little for your time. I would greatly appreciate it. If not, Is there anything I need to know or anything to be careful about if I try to tackle it myself?

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
The divorce was final on Jan. 8th. I was informed by my ex-wife on Jan. 14th demanding to know why the house was not on the market. (I had to roll my eyes as little did she know that I fell off the ladder, or did she know but didn't care. You make the call. ((reason i said this as this is a public forum)) I have no doubt on my mind that she reads my posts as she brought evidence to the mediation when I ask anyone to come over as standby'ers when she collects her belongings.)

It is just that the house got sold after being on the market little more than 4 months. That is the final straw. Now I may close the book and ________________________ (fill in the blank yourself.)

Last edited:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Sure, you big show off, now I'm going to have to drive 1350 miles in the next 5 days just to keep behind you.

Look GG another SCSU grad!

Sam

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI'watcher said:

Made the trip and filled up today. I was told it is B98. $4.11/gal

Amazing how smooth the engine gets when you feed it a proper diet of 49 - 50 cetane fuel !!

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
Help needed.

I am planning the 26th to move out. I have a 2500 lbs metal covered trailer that my mom gave me. (Free from the tenant that they had evicted three years ago.) I can't pull it with the beetle. But I need someone with truck that can pull it when it is loaded, probably around 3500-4000 lbs. It just needs to go to a house and leave it there.

Also I have several furniture that needs to go to several houses. Yes, my things are going be scattered around in the metro area. Let me know if you can lend a muscle and some of your time. I don't need a lot of people, more like 3 or 4. (I know the more the merry and quicker but it can get too much making things difficult.)

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Aaron, if you ever want to do some random work on your car I'll help you for free at the dealership on saturdays, jose said your timing belt job went great.

And MPLSTDI if you still need a DSG flush/filter, I can do that too.

Pincushn

TDI
2005.5 Jetta, 2007 Touareg
Hello All. relative newbie here. Just a curiosity, I have say 61k miles on my 2005.5 jetta. Recently did my fuel, oil, air and cabin filters. Anything else I should be looking at?:confused:

I also noticed there was a gtg going on this weekend in WI. Anyone ever have one here? I'd love to b.s. with other in person about what they're doing/done to their tdi's. and whats the best bang if you're gonna put a few bucks into the beatiful machines. Maybe learn about some mods.

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
Pincushn,
Welcome! I have been to a GTG at Dieselgrandads and the folks are great. You will learn a lot and also receive a warm welcome. I would be going if I didn't have a family thing I HAVE attend in IA. Go and have fun!!!! :)
W4M

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
DeafBug said:
Help needed.

I am planning the 26th to move out. I have a 2500 lbs metal covered trailer that my mom gave me. (Free from the tenant that they had evicted three years ago.) I can't pull it with the beetle. But I need someone with truck that can pull it when it is loaded, probably around 3500-4000 lbs. It just needs to go to a house and leave it there.

Also I have several furniture that needs to go to several houses. Yes, my things are going be scattered around in the metro area. Let me know if you can lend a muscle and some of your time. I don't need a lot of people, more like 3 or 4. (I know the more the merry and quicker but it can get too much making things difficult.)
What route, and how far, will the trailer be taking? I have to see how my schedule is but I might be able to provide the truck.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
merkerguitars said:
Aaron, if you ever want to do some random work on your car I'll help you for free at the dealership on saturdays, jose said your timing belt job went great.

And MPLSTDI if you still need a DSG flush/filter, I can do that too.
I ended up buying the tool, I'm stopping by GG next week to do it. I figured I better be safe and use VAG-COM to read the tranny temp. Since my scanguage always shows the engine and tranny at the exact temp.

Thanks for the offer

A-Mark

TDI
03 Jetta
merkerguitars said:
Yes the Timing belt job went really well. It was nice to save a little money and help Jose earn some extra cash at the same time. He's a good guy and does great work.

Good to know about bringing the car into the dealership... I'll keep that in mind. Should I just contact you via the forum to set stuff up or what? thanks for the offer.

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
MethylEstr let us know how the Jetta does with the BD from Wanamingo. In my work ride I'm getting 57mpg with a 5th gear mod on the wagon @ 65mph with the a/c on. Also just a heads up. Anyone using this fuel should be aware of the fuel separation temp, it's 58*F. We had some problems this spring at the Northfield B/D Co-op. The fuel separated out. The Co-op did replace the fuel.