Timing belt tools?

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
At 115k miles now, in ~5k miles I will be changing my timing belt. I already own the BRM timing belt tools and sprocket holder. I know there is a second cam to pin and will probably use a drill bit.

In the past I have done 3-4 ALH & 3-4 BRM timing belt jobs. Will my BRM crank holder work? I usually change the cam sprocket bolts to non-stretch type. Do I need anything else tool wise?

Unfortunately TDI DIYers may be a dying breed and site traffic seems to be down. Thanks, John

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have the exact same question, my CKRA is at 95K and will be doing mine myself as well- and I agree we are becoming fewer by the day although (no disrespect) but it seems that nms owners are the least loyal to vw where as golf owners are the most loyal when it comes to the buybacks, sticking with vw and diy repair. I personaly know of 2 people who saw my facebook pictures of the MFI showing 50+ and bought a NMS only to go the buyback route

Last edited:

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Just did mine myself a few days ago at 130k. I bought the kit from Id parts for the CKRA. There were 2 pins the same size, one for the injector pump and one for the cam sprocket. They fit very tightly, especially the one for the injector pump. Also a bracket with pin for the crank. I didn't use the sprocket buster or another smaller pin it came with. I decided against loosening any sprockets. I was able to put the belt on by turning the crank backwards slightly and then back into place to tension the belt. Then I just used the tensioning pulley for the final tension. Came out perfect first time and have about 1500 miles on it now. This is my first and last vw so I can't give any information on the older engines unfortunately.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
cant be to far off from the ALH days, same block just another cam. And yes loosening sprockets is always best avoided :D I remember rolling the cam left and right on my 1.6D and it interfered at the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock positions, crazy close interference engine!

Last edited:

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Another note, the injector pump will not line up with the hole perfectly once timing is complete. It states this in the manual. Doesn't affect engine operation

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
only on pre common rails is it critical, but for some reason its still good to get it spot on even on CR vw's

2dedge

TDI
jetta
I would like the answer on this also, or can we buy just the additional tools