Need new tires before buyback

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We're to the point where we need to replace the OEM Continental ProContact tires on our '13 Passat. They're not down to the wear bars yet, but will definitely have to be replaced before the snow flies. We're planning on turning the car in late next year, hopefully I can get a date as late as December 2018. I'd like to find a good set of tires that aren't as pricey as the Continentals to serve during the next 18 months. Any recommendations?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you're penny pinching, look at used tires on craigs-list. Yeah there's risk but you're only in it for the short run and will probably save yourself $2-300. Why buy a 60-80K tire when you need 10-15K worth of tread.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
if you're penny pinching, look at used tires on craigs-list. Yeah there's risk but you're only in it for the short run and will probably save yourself $2-300. Why buy a 60-80K tire when you need 10-15K worth of tread.
what he said, when i was really down and out a few years back i got a set of 4 tires for my P/U truck for 250 mounted and balanced i got 30K miles out of them.
so many people buy new cars then go buy wheel and tire packages and just leave the factory wheels and tires at the shop because they have no place to store them.

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
I was in the same boat a month ago. Bought the cheapest set I could get at Costco. Bald tires are not worth the risk.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Find a used tire dealer...
About $20 each, including mounting is what I see on the sign
Depends on tread left and size...but you don't care about Much more than they are black, round and have a few miles left...
Edit...
See you are going to need 18 months...
Crappy tires destroy a car...buy good tires..
Bet you can do a middle level brand for about $200+ mounting...so say $275 out the door.

Last edited:

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
I got a set of Michelin defenders on the car and out the door for 240 with at least 80% left I bet at a tire shop on craigslist