Oil in cold air intake

Winkler

TDI
2003 Jetta
Morning folks. New to the VW TDI and I have a question.

I have a 2003 Jetta TDI with 171k on it. I had to change the alternator and when taking out the air tube that runs from the lower right front to the EGR I see there's a lot of what looks like engine oil in it to the point of it runs out when the tube is removed and sitting on the shop floor.

I admit I don't know a darn thing about diesels just yet but want to learn.

What would cause that much oil build up and assuming there's a problem, how do I fix it?

Thanks so much.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
A little oil is normal, maybe a couple tablespoons, comes from the crankcase vent and the TC. If you open it up once in a while though the gears it's not a problem.

If it's been babied all its life drain the oil out of the IC before starting this regime. Don't want to inhale a buncha oil.

Maybe take the hose off at the ASV/EGR/intake manifold to see how carboned up it is.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yeah, you'll always get some stuff in there. It is a combination of CCV vapors condensing in the intercooler, and a tiny bit that leaks from the turbocharger impeller seals. Mostly CCV vapors. You will notice that vent on the top of the valve cover runs right into the intake plumbing behind the black plastic disc.

So nothing is really wrong, and if you drive it right, exercising it on occasion, then the fluid buildup won't be a problem.

Cheers,

PH

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
so a search for oil in the intercooler. This is normal to a point. Plenty of recent discussion about this issue. i for one have made long drawn out posts about how much oil comes out from the turbo on various turbo builds and that compared to various CCV catch can setups and what not. Please read up on them.
Point is, its normal as long as its just a little bit, like 1 cup of oil in the entire system give or take.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Winkler, welcome to the TDI Club ...

So, I believe your question has been more than adequately answered. However, being new to the VW TDI (diesels), you should do some searching on the club web site to learn about your engine and car.

Here are a few simple but helpful tips..

-Always keep an eye on the engine oil level, especially a new to you car in this case.

-At 171k miles, it's probably due a Timing Belt change just from age. (Do you have history?)

-Use the correct oil. Many here use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic

-Oil change interval is 10k miles.. some with analysis go much farther between changes

-Always use the Pink Anti-freeze (no mixing with other colors)

The "Stickys" at the top of this category have lots of good info.......

Happy reading and motoring...

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Excellent advice from Andy.

Keep in mind that unlike gasser engines, diesels are quite capable of burning oil. They are, after all, referred to as "oil burners" - no spark plugs to foul:D

Once you have ensured you don't have a pool of oil waiting to feed the engine (and, perhaps cause it to race away on you or lock the engine up [hydrolock]) then a regular practice of "spirited driving" (pushing boost for a while) will help keep down on oil build-up.

Because turbos tend to go through oil (same with gassers) it is important to keep an eye on oil consumption. Oil consumption with these engines is primarily due to their turbos. It is VERY important to discover an ailing turbo BEFORE it decides to totally fail: turbo failures can produce for some fairly expensive repairs.

Welcome to the "club!"

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Another bit of well intentioned advice is it ditch the "cold air" intake/filter and return it to OEM. Much better filtration, no loss of air flow to/from turbo, less possible MAF failure and water injestion and hydrolock situations. The OEM system is truly a CAI system as it brings in air from outside the engine compartment.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
WAIT, op. are you getting oil in the intake that goes INTO the turbo, or the pipes AFTER the turbo? if its before the turbo you have a serious issue. Please report back to clerify.

If you have a cold air intake, you need to replace it with the stock air box CAI are a scam, rob power, damage the engine and other complainants and just waste your money and make you look like a sucker. If you have oil in your intake pipe before the turbo, your CCV is one of the issues as well as a dirty or just restrictive air filter.
You need to read up on this MK.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373

I sugest a QUALITY (not a cheep POS) catch can that vents back into the turbo or into a ventury injector into the exhaust, i prefer the exhaust right up there on the downpipe. about 6-12 inches away from the turbo output. Get a lower crank case vent adapter plate and pipe in a new pipe into it that Tee's into the pipe into the catch can. Dont go spending $20 on it either. you can make one for about $50 or buy a quality one for about $100. you need one with 3/4" in and outputs, preferably 2 inputs and 1 output and not with a breather on it.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The crankcase vent from on top of the valvecover vents into the intake just after the regular flex pipe from the OEM airbox. Common for some oil mist from that.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yea but not enough to be as OP describes. He is conflicting his information. Pipe into the EGR is a boost pipe, vs CAI is pre turbo. I am assuming he is talking about he boost pipe. but just encase he actually means the CAI, there should not be that much oil. some yes, like a dirty intake pipe. Even i who had LOTS of oil coming out of my CCV due to higher boost and RPM's never had that much oil in the intake, not enough to run out.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Read the OPs initial post again ... (forget about the Title to the Thread)

The OP changed his Alternator!

To change the ALT, he obviously removed the Turbo Pressure Pipe (which I believe he is calling cold air intake) going to the bottom of the Intercooler. As you all know, that section of pipe is down stream from both the Turbo and CCV pipe......... always oily.

As typical with all the ALH engines (and others), that pipe is going to have oil in it. The Intercooler will have oil accumulated in the bottom ......... there will be a small amount of oil in those who do an Italian tune-up on a daily basis! I have yet to find an "oil-less" pipe going to the Intercooler on an ALH or PD engine......... not one!

I have photo after photo of oil on newspapers on the floor of my garage after removing that pipe and a few on the bare concrete. Not one of those cars has blown the engine (yet...LOL).

In my opinion, he's discovered what's considered normal or typical!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It will be interesting to see if Andy has found the interpretation to the question. Also shows how hard it is to understand and give advice when we aren't always sure about descriptions.
Sometimes a picture could be worth (or save) a thousand words.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JettaWreck, yeah, and when I'm sitting here drinking a few beers, watching the tube, multi-tasking, etc., it's a darn wonder I'm on the web site I want to be on.....LOL

Hey, I still have those Injectors I purchased from you about 10 years ago! Do they still have a warranty? :D

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JettaWreck, yeah, and when I'm sitting here drinking a few beers, watching the tube, multi-tasking, etc., it's a darn wonder I'm on the web site I want to be on.....LOL

Hey, I still have those Injectors I purchased from you about 10 years ago! Do they still have a warranty? :D

Warranty?? Of course, but return shipping, restocking fee, etc....:D