timing belt instalation

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Now, KLXD, you know I saw the sarcasm in Jason_'s post. It was only an opening to see who rolled eyes and got white knuckles on their left hand on the steering wheel while the right hand turned the ignition to Start that first time upon completion of a TB job.

And, I bet Jason_ has some white paint and ether.....:D

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
And, I bet Jason_ has some white paint and ether.....:D
For Everything non interference.

Paint cans upside down will start my old school Cummins in my Trojan 3000 loader in a pinch too. White is optional.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Loving this Thread....
In defense of Jason_ ............. Mark and Pray, is a term I'd never heard of until joining the club about 15 years ago! I guess that was what I did with the old IDI engines for years as I never had all of the appropriate tools ... never lost an engine!:)
Funny, I'd venture to say, regardless of the tools and methods used, I feel certain there's a few who say a quick short prayer right before turning the Ignition to Start after doing a TB job.. :D
And, BTW, anyone with "experienced" knowledge of an ALH engine should be able to change the TB via the M&P method, however, the IP pin or appropriate size drill bit would be a significantly important tool.
Andy, the real "experience" is replacing your engine after someone M&P'ed it!
BTDT.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Andy, the real "experience" is replacing your engine after someone M&P'ed it!
BTDT.
Or you can "Go For The Gold" and like one guy and replace the head after a timing failure and post here asking how long the lifters should take to pump up and why is his idles extremely rough? :(

I can do Jason one better. It would be a 2 part thing and require our participation.
  • OP: Go ahead and try starting your engine with the T/B removed to see if it runs better.
  • TDI Club: Monitor the For Sale section for a scream'en deal on a non runner complete with extra heads.

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I read that from part 2 and promptly forgot it since like I said, details don't mean much until I get the big picture. As far as part 3, you're right, I haven't read it yet since it costs money. I will only read it if I end up doing the job.

But if it's not keyed in, then why does part 2 say to remove it )or just to loosen it, can't remember) at one point? That makes no sense to me. How do you then get it back into just the right position? Maybe it doesn't matter as long as the shaft stays put. I have to think about that.
<facepalm>

You should read it to help you decide if you CAN do the job in the first place.

I need to go make another batch of popcorn....