VCDS tricks?

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I see a lot of guys here talking about coding using VCDS. What exactly is it, where can I get one, and what cools "tricks" can I do to my car's electronics with it?

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
What is VCDS? In a nutshell, a way to turn your Windows based laptop into a dealer level scan tool.

http://www.ross-tech.com/index.html

What "tricks" can you do? Well, it really depends on the control modules in your car. For example, if you have a 2008 Jetta, you can turn off your DRLs and make the windows roll up and down with the remotes. However, if you have a 2002 Jetta, you can't do those kinds of things with VCDS since the 2002 Jetta's control modules doesn't support that.

If you work on your own car, then you have wrenches, sockets, screw drivers and so on. Since 1990, working on VWs also means being able to talk to the control modules in the car, and that is what VCDS allows you to do.

If you have any questions, post them up here or feel free to call up our sales department (phone number on our website).

Thank you.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
The "Throttle" on that motor is an integral part of the engine control system and cannot be "disabled" with a scan tool.

-Uwe-

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
how about enabling or disabling the "throttle" on a B 5.5 passat TDI?
Can you elaborate on what you are asking. I am guessing you are asking about the "motor for intake flap, V157" but not sure since diesel engines do not have a throttle body like gasoline engines.

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
98 TDI jetta, 05 passat wagon
Can you elaborate on what you are asking. I am guessing you are asking about the "motor for intake flap, V157" but not sure since diesel engines do not have a throttle body like gasoline engines.
during the process of installing the Rocket Chip 2 tune on our passat. The function of the "motor for intake flap, V157" was disabled along with the EGR function. If I remember correctly this was done separate from the "chip" reprogramming using VCDS.
I have attempted to contact Jeff from Rocket Chip to clarify without success.
I would like to temporarily re enable this function for to get the monitors to clear.
If it is not possible thru VCDS I will have to find other methods to get around this issue.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
during the process of installing the Rocket Chip 2 tune on our passat. The function of the "motor for intake flap, V157" was disabled along with the EGR function. If I remember correctly this was done separate from the "chip" reprogramming using VCDS.
I have attempted to contact Jeff from Rocket Chip to clarify without success.
I would like to temporarily re enable this function for to get the monitors to clear.
If it is not possible thru VCDS I will have to find other methods to get around this issue.
No it is not possible with VCDS. It can be done ONLY with tuning ECU.