VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I am in the same position. bought the car at a dealer auction the day before the news broke and transferred it to my name a week later so I don't qualify either so I guess I will be keeping it for now.
Well if you have a bill of sale from the auction you might be ok...

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I purchased my car less than a week after this mess hit the news and I agree that I did pay less than I would have had to pay prior.
But the value of my car now has been affected as well since September 18th because of decisions VW has made since September 18th. The market for these cars now is virtually non existent which was not the case when I purchased. Not being able to participate in a buyback (even at an amount less than those that owned prior to September 18th) doesn't seem right.
If you really fee wronged, go see one of those ambulance chasers that filed a class action.

The way I see it, this is the same as buying a branded car. You got a discount when buying it and now it's still worth less because of that. Can't have it both ways.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Anyone trying to time the buy back with the arrival of a Tesla 3? I'm going to let VW buy mine back and hopefully I can time it with the arrival of my model 3 I have on order.

raymondtrudeau

TDI
2013 golf
I have a 2013 gold comfort line with 89000 km on it? first is the km value considered low for that year?
and based on the payout value do you think I would be closer to the $21000?
thanks

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
20-25K km/year is considered normal.So you are not low.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The money is coming from VW AG, so what difference does it make to VW NA or VW Canada?
VW only want to pay to those that each country forces them to pay so, it does make a difference if they are not obligated to pay. This is not VW's problem but the US and Canada's. They wrote the requirements.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
VW only want to pay to those that each country forces them to pay so, it does make a difference if they are not obligated to pay.
Well they are obligated to pay. The car was bought in the US, so it is a VW NA problem. Who cares where the car is now. Unimportant!

But this is so typical of corporations trying to weasel their way out of things.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well they are obligated to pay. The car was bought in the US, so it is a VW NA problem. Who cares where the car is now. Unimportant!

But this is so typical of corporations trying to weasel their way out of things.
If the requirements mandated by the two countries doesn't spell out that they have to pay then it isn't their oblivation. They are only obligated to fullfil the mandated requirements, nothing more. It has nothing to do with corporate greed. Next time you pay your income tax, why not pay a little extra and tell the goverment to keep it?

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
as the Canadian owner of a US car, I just called the law firm engaged in looking after those of us who do not qualify for either the US settlement NOR the Canadian one. we're in a holding pattern. if you fall into this category, PM me and I will send you the law firm's name and number. she said they're currently in negotiations.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
The buy back is based on CBB whole sale on Sept 18/2015, the buyback with trade in (fair market value) is based on current value, surely we'll save 13% hst, but the current value may be less than the whole sale of sept 18/2015.

Also the agreement did not elaborate beyond buying a new or used vehicle from a VW or Audi dealership, what if I surrender my car to dealer A, can I go to dealer B, for a better trade in value, or because he has the car I really want, and what if I found a non-VW vehicle on their lot can I buy it with my trade in $$...?

How long do I have to use my trade-In $$ after I surrendered my car ?

I guess I better find that 800# they talk about in the agreement and see if they have the answers.

Any comments or answers to these questions, will be greatly appreciated.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
My previous 2011 Jetta Highline with 250,000 Kms comes in at an estimated $6,500 value through the CBB Estimator which seems really low.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Was speaking to dealer yesterday after doing pricing on Car cost canada .

Funny enough he called within 5mins of doing online quote .

Thinking of 3 vehicles .

AllTrack
Golf R
GTI

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Was speaking to dealer yesterday after doing pricing on Car cost canada .

Funny enough he called within 5mins of doing online quote .

Thinking of 3 vehicles .

AllTrack
Golf R
GTI
Is your Passat a US car, just wondering because of the SEL trim, if so, did you encounter any issues with the upcoming settlement..?

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
Is your Passat a US car, just wondering because of the SEL trim, if so, did you encounter any issues with the upcoming settlement..?
No its canadian .

Test drove all 3 and even though Golf R and GTI was nice , probably go with Alltrack .

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
No its canadian .
Test drove all 3 and even though Golf R and GTI was nice , probably go with Alltrack .
I thought SEL was a US market trim level, Highline comfortline and trendline were the Canadian market trim.

All Track, boy not cheap !!, for me will be looking at Mazda with their Skyactiv technology, good writeups everywhere.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought SEL was a US market trim level, Highline comfortline and trendline were the Canadian market trim.
All Track, boy not cheap !!, for me will be looking at Mazda with their Skyactiv technology, good writeups everywhere.

Not sure why i put in SEL .

Was looking t Mazda as well .

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you like rust, go with a Mazda! :)

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Rust really ? Will have to research it, 2016 Jetta Highline ,on my list first as I very much like the Fender sound system I now have , plus the adaptive cruise control plus forward collision...bla bla. Sound great for safety..wait n' see.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rust really ? Will have to research it, 2016 Jetta Highline ,on my list first as I very much like the Fender sound system I now have , plus the adaptive cruise control plus forward collision...bla bla. Sound great for safety..wait n' see.
Just drive around and look what the first gen Mazda 3 look like. Rust is the reason why you won't see pretty much any Protege or 323s anymore either. You can practically hear them rust if you stand next to them. :)

Baba O'Riley

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6-sp
Other vehicle is 2010 Mazda 3 Sport (first of the Gen 2 Mazda 3s). No signs of rust.
Yes, proteges and Gen 1 3s were absolute rust boxes.

Also looking between Golf, Sportwagen, Mazda 3 and Civic Hatch Sport. Problem with Civic is the centre tailpipes. We need hitch for biking.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The buy back is based on CBB whole sale on Sept 18/2015, the buyback with trade in (fair market value) is based on current value, surely we'll save 13% hst, but the current value may be less than the whole sale of sept 18/2015.
I wasn't aware that there is a difference. All I used was the VW TDI site to get the CBB value and I was under the impression that I can use a part of that amount as the trade-in amount and would get the balance in cash.

If the amount I get it is less when doing a trade-in, I might go for another manufacturer. Not too smart on VW's part if they want to at least have a chance of getting their money back.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I wasn't aware that there is a difference. All I used was the VW TDI site to get the CBB value and I was under the impression that I can use a part of that amount as the trade-in amount and would get the balance in cash.

If the amount I get it is less when doing a trade-in, I might go for another manufacturer. Not too smart on VW's part if they want to at least have a chance of getting their money back.
The way the settlement reads to me also from other posts...the trade in value will be lower than the Cbb wholesale value...but if you opt for the trade in Vw will compensate you with the difference.
Say wholesale is 15k
Trade in 13k
Replacement vehicle is 20K
So 20k less 13k is 7k plus hst on 7k is your cost.

Vw will pay 2k to you on top of the 5100 in damages.
So you are guaranteed the cbb price but on allowed the trade in value to use for hst exemption.

At least that is the way I understand it. For me my preferred choice is 2016 Jetta 1.4L comfortline, no kessy or Dsg...and good fuel economy using regular unleaded.
I considered the highline but decided the 5 or 6k difference is not worth it.

But what IF the replacement vehicle I chose is less than the trade amount I am given, do I get the balance ?

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The way the settlement reads to me also from other posts...the trade in value will be lower than the Cbb wholesale value...but if you opt for the trade in Vw will compensate you with the difference.
We'll see. After plugging in my VIN, province and mileage, I will be getting $17,350 + $5500 = $22,850.

I might go for a 2017 Golf Sportwagen Trendline with the Connectivity Package, but I have also been looking at more upscale vehicles from other manufacturers. So if VW wants to retain me, they better sharpen their pencil. And they better be ready to write off silly charges like Admin and PDI.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Today I called 888-670 4773 and asked a couple of questions, by the end of the convo I knew less than before the call.

question 1, when submitting a claim, do I have to choose the option then: answer yes.
follow up Q, what numbers do I get back ? answer Do not know, the process for the claim is known to them at this time.

Could I change my option, answer Do not know.

According to this agent, the car has to be taken in to be visually evaluated before numbers are given to owners, if he's correct the dealer will evaluate the car and contact the administrator to set the price....this is BS,

I had more questions for him, but at this rate I did not think this guy knew much, however he did confirm the CBB estimator does return the Sept 18/2015 value.

So he left me believing there are many unknowns, I called in twice so far and got the same person on both occasions, I think I will call one of the lawyers next.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Today I called 888-670 4773 and asked a couple of questions, by the end of the convo I knew less than before the call.
Incompetence is pretty well a world-wide disease.

Its tough to find really knowledgeable people.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Incompetence is pretty well a world-wide disease.

Its tough to find really knowledgeable people.
To see it as the glass half full, his lack of knowledge forced me to dig into the settlement narrative, I am currently reading schedule H, and it seems to answer my questions, detailing the process, step by step, hopefully when I am done, I'll have less questions.

Though, it serves me right for being lazy, and not having read the entire agreement, in the first place.