Reductant tank circuit LOW scan error

7mmBR

TDI
2012 passat
Hi all, my 2012 Passat TDI urea tank warming circuit is giving me an engine light, recurred after reset. The error code indicates the reductant tank warming circuit is "LOW". Does anyone know the likely fix for this? If pretty sure diagnosis maybe I can do the repair. Thanks in advance for any expert comment.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
DEF Heater is bad. Not inexpensive but certainly not an impossible job if you have the proper tools.

The bad news is that VW is not covering this under warranty. Perhaps with their butt in the wringer about a little deviation from smog rules and the fact that a number of heaters have been failing, just perhaps this will be a warranty issue in the future.

7mmBR

TDI
2012 passat
I bought the car used as VW Certified, with a 2 yr 40K warranty. They covered the above heater element repair! The next day it was leaking Ad Blue and they covered Ad Blue pump replacement! Very happy about that as another 3-4 months and I'd have exceeded the 40K. Couple grand $CAD warranty repair.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This part of the SCR system is rather complex, and doesn't appear to be very robust. We had one scare with the "not going to restart in 200 miles" (out of nowhere, I knew there was plenty of DEF in the tank), but it turned out to be the NOx sensor, replaced under warranty. I agree with "nord," and hope that the heater, pump & etc. will be covered in future by an extended warranty, a la the HPFP and turbo.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
DEF Heater is bad. Not inexpensive but certainly not an impossible job if you have the proper tools.

The bad news is that VW is not covering this under warranty. Perhaps with their butt in the wringer about a little deviation from smog rules and the fact that a number of heaters have been failing, just perhaps this will be a warranty issue in the future.
I completely concur, nord. However, with the expected monetary hemorrhage expected for VAG, I'll bet the bean counters will be searching for ways to limit warranty repairs, not expand them.
Just my 2cents.