Poor MPG in 2004 Golf

toobs18

TDI
2004 golf tdi
I have an 04 golf tdi automatic with 36k on it. I have filled it up 4 times and i have been averaging anywhere from 420-475 miles on a tank which equates to 31-36 mpg. The 36 came with 70% highway and the 31 came from 70% city/town. On the highway i drive an average speed of 70-80mph. But around town i drive the speed limits. If anyone has any advice or similar results i would appreciate it. Just trying to get to sticker numbers at a minium-36-42.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
toobs18 said:
I have an 04 golf tdi automatic with 36k on it. I have filled it up 4 times and i have been averaging anywhere from 420-475 miles on a tank which equates to 31-36 mpg. The 36 came with 70% highway and the 31 came from 70% city/town. On the highway i drive an average speed of 70-80mph. But around town i drive the speed limits. If anyone has any advice or similar results i would appreciate it. Just trying to get to sticker numbers at a minium-36-42.
Well, first, I would say, drop your speed. The EPA does not do your mpg ratings at 70-80 MPH. Try 60 - 65 for awile and see what you get. Also, using the air conditioner will cut down a few MPG as will using B20 or higher. I guess it is possible that you have some intake clogging and that may also be why you are getting lower MPG at lower speeds also.

Last edited:

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
toobs18 said:
1) Are you the original owner?

2) Have you maintained cleaning filters/regular maintenance?

3) Any mods?

4) Besides 70-80 highway, do you have a heavy foot from light to light?

5) It's an auto, they will get lower mpg's!

6) Tire pressure is set at what?

7) Are you using diesel stations that see alot of turnover, or are you the only customer? Try using different diesel.

8) Use search. Try "by title only". It's a good search tool

toobs18

TDI
2004 golf tdi
oEo said:
1) Are you the original owner?

no

2) Have you maintained cleaning filters/regular maintenance?

just got the car

3) Any mods?

no
4) Besides 70-80 highway, do you have a heavy foot from light to light?

not really
5) It's an auto, they will get lower mpg's!

6) Tire pressure is set at what?

not sure what should they be at

7) Are you using diesel stations that see alot of turnover, or are you the only customer? Try using different diesel.

yes good gas

8) Use search. Try "by title only". It's a good search tool
what is the exact web address

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
toobs18 said:
what is the exact web address
Toobs,

First off, since your not the original owner, your '04 is PD engine, which requires 505.01 spec oil. If you don't know what oil you are currently running, I would make that PRIORITY #1, drain what you have and add 505.01 oil. There are plenty of brands, pick one. Good places to buy. Tdiparts.com. Worldimpex.com

#2. Change the fuel filter. Unless you know how long that has been running, get a new one.

#3. Look above in the blue header... see the animated gif, click on "support the TDI club... That is a link to numerous FREE "How To" videos. Good videos!

#4. Look to see if you have a 'snorkle screen' Some PD's do, some don't. If you do, clean it. If not, then you will probably want the 'A" filter at replacement. Search

#5 DO NOT open the air filter box. Only open the air filter to 'REPLACE'. If you think it's old, get a new filter and add it. Don't peek and pull the filter, it won't reseal properly and eventually will foul the MAF. (Search)

#6. Slow down a bit.

#7. Bump-up the tires to around 38 or 40 all around. See if that works. Some people go Higher, some go softer. Also, you brand might not have a Low Rolling Resistance tire. Search that!

Doing these basics and logging them somewhere is a good start.

need something to do on the 4th? you found it! :D

EDIT... I'm assuming your near waco? Put the state in your profile... makes it easy for help, etc so everyone knows!

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Also, vent your tank to get another ~2 gallons of fuel and 75+ miles on a tank. Better yet, do a ventectomy.