2000-2004 - which get the best MPG?

vivithemage

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 4dr 6M
Which engines get the best MPG, or is it dependent on the year too?

Also, what kind of MPG can someone average going about 75~?

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
Which engines get the best MPG, or is it dependent on the year too?

Also, what kind of MPG can someone average going about 75~?
Check the milage thread for your own reference. 2000- 2003 will be slightly best with the ALH engine and a manual tranny, driver will also have a lot to do with actual achieved. Going 75mph will not get you the best however.... you would need to slow down a bit 60-65mph to get average of those getting the best. 50-60 mph will do it best, hope this helps.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
i found my ALH was better in town, my PD better on the highway. I drive around 75 most of the time and the .658 5th gear was a great mod.

Randall

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 & 2000 new beetles
I want to do the 658 mod too! I have it on my 2000 but want to do it on the 98. The 2000 is a beast. Way non stock. I fell down the performance rabbit hole with the 2000. Want to go pure efficieincy with the 98.

I am open to any advice!

brax4x4

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI silver
My '03 Jetta, 5sp manual transmission gets a consistent 45-47mpg driving highway @ 75+ with the air on. I have 199,980 miles on it and still going strong. Like others said if you back it down to around 55-60, the mileage goes up to the 50mpg range.

CStone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH 5sp.
I have a 0.658 gear in the car in my sig. Drive 200 miles/day - all but 10 miles are interstate at 80mph indicated (really about 77mph). 242k+ on the clock. All original hardware except for head at 150k due to premature TB break. No visible damage due to TB break, but replaced the head just to be safe.

This time of year, at that speed, I get 54-55mpg. Winter/summer I get closer to 51-52mpg.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I also have owned both and share your findings on ALH vs PD. The ALH was about 1.5-2 mpg better around town and the PD is about 1 mpg better highway.

i found my ALH was better in town, my PD better on the highway. I drive around 75 most of the time and the .658 5th gear was a great mod.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
You can also go to the fuelly website and search vehicles. There are alot of the jetta TDIs on there, and millions of miles tracked. It paints a pretty interesting picture if you take the time to look at it. If I ever contemplate another vehicle purchase I will be using that website to guide my decision.

Wksg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI Wagon
Very happy with my '03! Just turned over 390K miles today, and going to get a 1000 mile tank in March in Michigan! (yes, with summer warmth lately...)

tdidriver20

TDI
2003 TDI
"This time of year, at that speed, I get 54-55mpg. Winter/summer I get closer to 51-52mpg."

CStone, Could you please explain how you get 54-55 @ 80 mph. we drive the same car, but I can only achieve that with going 65 mph. I only drive about 80 miles per day, but only 10 of that is non-highway. what mods do you have, etc. thanks

CStone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH 5sp.
"This time of year, at that speed, I get 54-55mpg. Winter/summer I get closer to 51-52mpg."

CStone, Could you please explain how you get 54-55 @ 80 mph. we drive the same car, but I can only achieve that with going 65 mph. I only drive about 80 miles per day, but only 10 of that is non-highway. what mods do you have, etc. thanks
Sure thing. First of all, I'm really going 77MPH at an indicated 80MPH as I said in the post. I was getting a consistent 50-51MPH tooling around at interstate speeds for the first few years I had the car, but in the past 2 years I've started to tinker to gain fuel economy. I have done a few mods, fuel-related or not, to gain either fuel economy and/or range in no particular order:

- Snowscreen/intake cleaning (dunno if this matters)
- I stopped using cruise control on my commute.
- Italian tune-up once a week (shift @3500 or so instead of my normal 2600-3000 for one trip through gears)
- 4 oz. Stanadyne in every tank. (yes this is factored into my calcs)
- 0.658 gear (this gave me about a ~1-2MPG gain)
- Timing adaptation via VCDS to 4* BTDC from 1* BTDC . (this gave me about a ~1-2MPG gain)
- ventectomy (not related to economy, but does allow 800+ miles per tank which translates into 4-days' commute for me.)
- 45 cetane fuel. (I do see about 0.5-1.0MPG for 45 cetane fuel from one store vs. the 40 cetane from other stores on my commute)

Biggest factor, I think, is how I drive. My commute allows me to get up to speed and hold that speed for essentially the entire 100 miles without having to change speeds due to traffic conditions.

Another note is that MPG is based upon trip-meter vs. amount to refill tank, entered into fuelly. I always fill to the top of the neck so that I minimize the error in the amount of fuel from tank to tank and more importantly ensure that I can drive 4 full days before I have to refuel.

Last edited:

tdidriver20

TDI
2003 TDI
thanks for the info, CStone. I have recently started doing Italian tune-ups and have seen a slight bump in FE. I don't use cruise control as I have determined that my foot is better for FE. Unfortunately, I don't (and won't) have the money for the .685 gear, because I am only going to commute to school for another 2 yrs, therefore, not enough time to break even or recoup money. As for 45 cetane, I usually use Turkey Hill gas (other places called Kroger) and I seem to get better mileage out of that vs. Hess or Wawa or others.
A ventectomy and snowscreen clean is probably next on the list for me.
That leaves the timing adaption. Could you please expand on this? I haven't found much on it but I am interested in knowing more.
thanks a lot!

AARRTTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagon
I have 2010 Sports Wagon. I can Drive from Newport Coast Ca to Tempe AZ {7 hours} on 3/4 of a tank. I have a automatic. I have also changed the tires to Nokian Entyre
and they get me 10 MPG more then the "Made in China" ones that came with the car.

Does Anyone know if I can run my TDI and Liquified NAT GAS with modifications.

AARRTTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagon
Liquified Natural GAS ie AUTOGAS

Does anyone know if VW plans to bring to USA a Diesel /Electric Car,?:)

Does anyone know if I can convert my TDI to LPG because it sells for 2.65
a gallon instead of 4.41 per gallon?:D

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Does anyone know if VW plans to bring to USA a Diesel /Electric Car,?:)
Not as far as I know. They are introducing a couple of Diesel Electrics in Europe (the VW XL-1, 283mpg us on the NEDC cycle, and I think they are doing an Up! model as well) but I don't think these are going to be exported to the USA.

Does anyone know if I can convert my TDI to LPG because it sells for 2.65
a gallon instead of 4.41 per gallon?:D
I don't think so. My understanding is that the LPG conversion works with petrol vehicles because it needs a spark ignition as does petrol, but doesn't like compression-ignition engines.

Look on the bright side... at least you aren't paying $9/us gallon for diesel like we are.

Keystonedig

TDI
2004 jetta
My mpg is 33, please help

2004 jetta tdi bew, automatic, have on now summer tread 205, winter tread width is 195. Car came with winter on factory steel rims, summer on alloy. Just purchased car from New York from private seller. Remember seeing sellers records to dealer of complaints of only getting mileage in mid 30's. I drove car on first trip with passenger . Went about 260 miles of all highway driving with very little slow down speeds. Was driving about 70 mph average with winter tread on. Got 42 mpg. Not bad. Came home and changed tires to summer tread, 205 width on alloy and now do half town and rest highway. Getting around 33 mpg. Air pressure is 40-42. Any ideas besides tires that could be dropping mpg?

Thanks

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Well the half-town driving will be causing a lot of it.

How long are your typical journeys? i.e., short journeys have higher fuel consumption because the engine hasn't warmed up properly.

Keystonedig

TDI
2004 jetta
Trip would be 12-17 miles one way. Takes me about 5 miles to get to 190 degrees f . She runs really good when cold... Motor has very slight whistle .
Thanks for your reply

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Trip would be 12-17 miles one way.
33mpg sounds plausible to me for a half-urban trip of that length with an auto box. I've never run an auto box myself so perhaps some of our 01M auto members could confirm / deny.

Keystonedig

TDI
2004 jetta
Update on fuel economy, tire pressure , etc.

Increased fron tire pressure up a bit from 34 to same as rear, 42lbs.
Fixed leaking Outlet Egr hose( metal flange was worn and clip was broke) which was leaking.
Now I get 42mpg and 70 percent of my driving is around town( city) .
I'm getting there.

How about and Egr delete. Will that get me better fuel mileage ?

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Those that simply disable the egr will tell you it hurts MPG, because it does.

Those that delete the EGR thru a tune will tel you it helps MPG, because it does.

The ASV closes when the computer calls for EGR. This creates a slight vacuum and helps the motor draw in the exhaust gas. This also throttles the engine, causing a pumping loss, like on a gas engine.

If you delete the EGR and don't disable the ASV then it will simply cutoff the fresh air coming and throttle the engine even more( now it doesn't even have the recirculated exhaust to pull in), hurting MPGs.

If the ASV is disabled, then the engine is never throttled and this leads to an increase in MPG.

Malone offers a dynamic EGR tune, where the EGR is enabled for quick warm up, but didabled once the car is warm.

Anther benifit of just deleteing the egr with a tune is the car appears stock.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Those that simply disable the egr will tell you it hurts MPG, because it does.

Those that delete the EGR thru a tune will tel you it helps MPG, because it does.

The ASV closes when the computer calls for EGR. This creates a slight vacuum and helps the motor draw in the exhaust gas. This also throttles the engine, causing a pumping loss, like on a gas engine.

If you delete the EGR and don't disable the ASV then it will simply cutoff the fresh air coming and throttle the engine even more( now it doesn't even have the recirculated exhaust to pull in), hurting MPGs.

If the ASV is disabled, then the engine is never throttled and this leads to an increase in MPG.

Malone offers a dynamic EGR tune, where the EGR is enabled for quick warm up, but didabled once the car is warm.

Anther benifit of just deleteing the egr with a tune is the car appears stock.

I'm in the process of creating a "Dynamic" EGR delete for my wifes 2005 E320 CDI that is electronic circuit based. It's rather simplistic with resistors, one transistor, thermal switch, and some relays. It will keep EGR until the vehicle is up to operating temperature and then turn it off. Once I have hers finished up in the next week or so I will most likely start planning on one for my ALH. You mention something about the ASV valve modulating during EGR flow, maybe this is something I will need to work around when I create my circuit. I can disconnect the N-18 when EGR flow is called for and substitute a resistance value in it's place so the computer knows no different.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Nice idea, but the ECU also looks at MAF flow, which will be different.

As for the ASV, since the EGR is coming from pre turbo, it is already pressurized, so why not just disable the ASV control (as ALH doesn't use it for EGR), so there is no pumping losses ever. EGR gasses will still flow into the intake, as long as intake pressure is less than exhaust pressure (most of the time on VNT).

My tune on ALH has EGR deleted, so even with it plugged in, the ECU requests 850 mg/s MAF.. meaning no EGR ever. It would be nice to be able to run some warm up EGR and even link my coolant glow plug heaters relay mod (apply ground to coolant glow plugs relays to engage relay) to the thermal control. (for now I am using a cheap thermostat wrapped around the lines that go to the heater core to shut off the coolant GPs)

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
I have a 0.658 gear in the car in my sig. Drive 200 miles/day - all but 10 miles are interstate at 80mph indicated (really about 77mph). 242k+ on the clock. All original hardware except for head at 150k due to premature TB break. No visible damage due to TB break, but replaced the head just to be safe.
__. Conditions where I am mean that I'm more likely to run around 60 MPH. The 0.658 isn't very good for me. I'm sorry that I installed it; I'd have been much better to keep the stock 5th.

__. I've averaged about 55MPG (overall) over about 250,000 miles; on my first sedan, I often saw long trip tanks of 61-62MPG but on my wagon, it's rare for them to be over 58MPG.

CStone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH 5sp.
__. Conditions where I am mean that I'm more likely to run around 60 MPH. The 0.658 isn't very good for me. I'm sorry that I installed it; I'd have been much better to keep the stock 5th.
-Yep. The taller 5th only benefits you if you're running mostly interstate speeds.

__. I've averaged about 55MPG (overall) over about 250,000 miles; on my first sedan, I often saw long trip tanks of 61-62MPG but on my wagon, it's rare for them to be over 58MPG.
WOW. I wish I had the patience to run slow enough to see 60MPG tanks. I would imagine that if I could run 60MPH for a tank, given my long commute, I could. However, I would be a greasy spot beside I-40 or I-81 if I did so.