6 speed conversion kit

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
Is this available for 02M 4Motion? Already six speed but not as low-geared.
That is a problem of 02M gearboxes, they are six-speed, but have gears lighter than those of 02J type gearboxes. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4041329&postcount=257
02M gearbox is very difficult to optimize, the best and probably the only option is to change final drives, if there are any better. If you want, write the code of your gearbox and I will see if we can do something about it.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
For those of you interested in fuel economy number - I took a quick trip up to the northern California GTG on Saturday, then drove home on Sunday. Came home on Interstate 5 and had time to monitor my Scangauge with my cruise control holding the speed steady. In 6th gear, the Scangauge reported 60 to 64 mpg. In 5th gear I was seeing 51-55 mpg reported by the scangage.

The round trip was 1330 miles, speeds ranged from 65 to 90 (in parts). Real fuel economy for the total trip was 50.5 mpg. And I was driving faster on the way home than on the way north. 90 mph was near Bakersfield.

Now, the Scangage numbers are only a relative indicator of fuel consumption. But there is a clear difference between 5th and 6th gear at the same highway speed on the same highway.

Last edited:

motters

TDI
VW T4
Hi all, since I found this forum/thread a useful source of info and experience I thought I should update that I have also now installed a Eurotuning 6-spd kit in my tuned 2.5TDi VW T4.

I have been monitoring the average fuel economy figures since Aug 2012 (she was returning an average of 29.65mpg over the 6 month period prior to the 6-spd conversion) and I'll update after everything has settled in over a variety of driving conditions.

The links to the install and the current van setup are below.

Vanzee Build - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70144

6-spd Conversion Kit - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=200854

Last edited:

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Ah, welcome & huge congratulations. I read your thread on the T4 forum a few days ago. I was tempted to register to say 'congrats' but since I don't have a T4 I thought it would be a bit cheeky :)

When I was having my car serviced at Stealth earlier this year Vince mentioned that he had a transporter coming in for the kit soon, that must have been yours. I had the same 0.71 & 0.588 5th & 6th added to my A2 by Vince last year (the video of the installation is in my signature), but the original 5th was 0.75 (normally Radim would have given me a 0.75 & 0.65 for my gearbox, but I wanted an overdrive-style gear).

Did you chat with John about his 1000hp Bora?

Motters @ VWT4Forum said:
...The cruise control is also fully functional in 6th. This has proved to be an issue in some cases when installing a 6-spd conversion in some Passats and Audi A2's, but is thankfully not in this case. ...
It was a theoretical concern for the 3 of us on the A2 owners club forum, but as far as I know it hasn't actually been a problem. My understanding is that model-year 2004 ECUs don't like very long gears when cruise control is on (whether the longer-5th mod or via the 6 speed kit), but our cars were 2002 & 2003. I have also seen somebody saying that they can fix it when doing a remap, presumably by setting some flag somewhere.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Even with the models that have the cruise issue with long gears, there are a number of tuners out there who can re-do the code in the ecu to re-enable cruise, and make things a little more zippy. :D

Last edited:

XE1UFO

TDI
Mexican-made 2007 Jetta 1.9-liter TDI, 5-speed
I am following this thread with great interest. I have a couple of questions:

1. When considering ROI (return on investment), besides improved fuel economy, wouldn't you also consider that reducing the RPM's of your engine at cruising speed would increase your motor's lifespan, which would also theoretically save you money over the life of the vehicle?

2. Where on my tranny can I see the model number?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve

Last edited:

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
1. When considering ROI (return on investment), besides improved fuel economy, wouldn't you also consider that reducing the RPM's of you engine at cruising speed would increase your motor's lifespan, which would also save money over the life of the vehicle?
I wouldn't rely on that. Yes, you reduce wear due to high RPMs but to balance that out, higher torque also causes wear. So I don't think it would make a difference to engine longevity either way.

In terms of ROI ... Motters just above has put it into a transporter van, and therefore is probably the only person who will see a good ROI since it will have the biggest cost saving when the base vehicle originally had a lower MPG. I will break even in 7 years or so but I guess he will break even in 4 (if his annual mileage was the same as mine, anyway). ROI wasn't my justification for getting the mod done.

ROI would be quickest for someone who does the highest annual mileage with the vehicle with the lowest MPG originally.

2. Where on my tranny can I see the model number?

At the front of your manual, there is usually a page listing all the options, engine code & so forth. The gearbox code is usually there.

Last edited:

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
Honestly, ROI wouldn't be the determining factor in installing this kit. The main reason for me is that it would offer greater flexibility and driving comfort for highway use, and that it is freaking COOL to have a 6th gear. :D

Brendan

greenie

TDI
2 ea. 96 passat tdi sedans Plus 96 Passat TDI wagon with 6th gear and they are all GREEN
Hi everyone. I am an old member first time post. I am original owner of a 96 Passat sedan. Unfortunately i am a victim of Prothe. It is a long story but ended up with the Prothe rod bolt and/or rod bearing failing. While waiting to get the crank cut I landed a wagon. I bought a 96 Passat wagon. I drive alot of highway and was very interested in this 6th gear. I wrote to Ramid and he gave me a good price for 2 kits. As of now we are waiting for a back oredered part for one of the kits. I will keep all updated.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Couldn't leave well enough alone this weekend.

Back when I installed the kit in September, I replaced the clutch with an SMF VR6/G60 combination, and while it held torque fine and had a very direct feel, it made the gears rattle decently at idle.

So, I replaced it with a LUK DMF set this past weekend:

Now that the clutch is in, you can feel a little more slack in the driveline, but the gear rattle is gone completely. Side benefit is that the engine idles just a little bit smoother as well.

Also took the occasion to open the end cover and inspect the Eurotuning 6th gear kit now that it's been in the car for about 25k miles:

Happy to report that everything looks fine. Had a slight issue with the shift weight hitting an intake pipe and making it difficult to get it into 6th, but all good now.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
... Also took the occasion to open the end cover and inspect the Eurotuning 6th gear kit now that it's been in the car for about 25k miles: ...
Looks perfect, just the same as it went in. Mines at about 16k miles now :)

greenie

TDI
2 ea. 96 passat tdi sedans Plus 96 Passat TDI wagon with 6th gear and they are all GREEN
I just got info from Radim my kits are shipped. Should receive next Friday.

XE1UFO

TDI
Mexican-made 2007 Jetta 1.9-liter TDI, 5-speed
I am still following this thread with great interest.

Just a side note: Here in Mexico, the new VW Polo (made in Puebla, Mexico) is now available with a turbo gas engine (105 HP, 1.2 liter), refrigerated drink box, heated seats... and either a 6 speed or 7 speed tranny! No: I don't see a diesel option. I was just excited to see 6 and 7 seed options. Is that DSG prefix on the 7-speed something to do with an automatic?
http://www.vw.com.mx/content/medial...t/renditions/rendition.file/catalogo_polo.pdf

nexus665

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 4 1.9 ALH MY2002
Hiya,

DSG stands for Direktschaltgetriebe or Direct Shift Gearbox.

It's a double-clutch automatic gearbox (so no torque converter).

Regards

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Just a PSA - I ran into some trouble with my output/driven shaft. It turned out the M10x1.0x90mm bolt was too short. The original bolt has 20mm of thread, so please double-check that your bolts will screw in more than 15mm before tightening them (a like-dimensioned replacement measured 11mm).

I didn't hear back from Radim after politely pointing this out and recommending a 95mm bolt, but the gearbox went together without any more trouble, and it's been working well.

vw_Goose

TDI
n/a
I just read through all the feedback and information on this conversion and I'm curious about what to do with my 2.0L (gas) Mk4 Golf.

I'm in need of a new trans (3rd gear synchro is shot) and the idea of putting a TDI 5th has been on my brain for a while to squeeze a few more miles out of the little 115hp 8v.

Would it be beneficial to do the TDI 5th AND the 6th gear bolt-on?

What kind of MPG advantages would I see with these mods?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I just read through all the feedback and information on this conversion and I'm curious about what to do with my 2.0L (gas) Mk4 Golf.

I'm in need of a new trans (3rd gear synchro is shot) and the idea of putting a TDI 5th has been on my brain for a while to squeeze a few more miles out of the little 115hp 8v.

Would it be beneficial to do the TDI 5th AND the 6th gear bolt-on?

What kind of MPG advantages would I see with these mods?
This kit replaces both 5th and 6th, so you cant have both the TDI 5th and 6th. There'd be no point even if you could, as you would have two very tall ratios close to each other and a large gap between 4th and 5th/6th.

Take a look at the 1st page and look at the gear ratio graphs - then approximate where a tall 5th would slot in - then you'll see it wouldn't make sense.

Debatable if I would think of doing this on a 2.0slow, it would certainly make fuel economy better for those speeds where you are in 6th (long highway). The more mixed driving you do, the less the payback on this kit, the more highway the more it will save you. If fuel economy is the goal, you would be better off selling the 2.0 and trading it and the $1500 on a TDI golf.:D

vw_Goose

TDI
n/a
This kit replaces both 5th and 6th, so you cant have both the TDI 5th and 6th.
Okay, I thought that's what the kit had, but I wasn't 100% sure by some comments.

Debatable if I would think of doing this on a 2.0slow, it would certainly make fuel economy better for those speeds where you are in 6th (long highway). The more mixed driving you do, the less the payback on this kit, the more highway the more it will save you. If fuel economy is the goal, you would be better off selling the 2.0 and trading it and the $1500 on a TDI golf.:D
Agreed, I have a few road trips per year that I go on, and I'm looking to head to Vegas next year for Wüste (2,000+ miles from Atlanta). That'll be the real test. As for the Golf, I have too much invested in it (never mind that it's paid off) to start the search for a TDI to replace it - although, if the motor ever died, I'd probably swap it out for a 1.9L TDI AHL. :cool:

vw_Goose

TDI
n/a
So I looked at my trans code (O2J - EBP) and pulled up the gearing ratio for it.

1st = 3.778
2nd = 2.118
3rd = 1.360
4th = 1.029
5th = 0.837
Final = 4.235

And I went through the diagrams on EuroTuning's website and found one for my EBP trans:

This is peaking my interest more and more.

greenie

TDI
Good. I have my trans on the table with the case open. Just drilled the holes for the 5th gear. Hope to have it together with the 6th gear installed soon.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Drilled holes? for what? 5th gear doesn't require any holes to be drilled.

Are you talking for lubrication?

greenie

TDI
Yes. Holes for the 5th gear cavity lube. I put the transcase back on and now slowly proceeding to install the kit. Going on Trip this weekend and sadened the kit will not be installed yet.

Eddie_flyin-v

TDI
2010 Golf 2.5L 5spd | 2006 Jetta TDI DSG (traded in for golf)
so heres a question,
In april i traded in my 06 jetta tdi for a 2.5L golf,
its got a 5spd in it, im assuming its an 02J ? and im wondering if this kit could work on that car..
in case this helps the;
Transmission Code is : KPF
Engine Code is : CBTA
not sure what other info i could give about the car, but when im cruising at 120km/h i sit at around 2900rpm and would loovveee to lower that with a 6th gear. learned to drive stick with 6 gears and it still doesnt seem right to only have 5 to choose from, anyways, if its possible that would be awesome, if not im SOL