Tools needed for Jetta

KeithinKY

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Starting to plan for fathers day, birthday, Christmas...

I recently got a 2012 jetta tdi. I know it's under warranty but I do like to nose around a bit.

Can someone suggest a few must have tools for basic getting started- oil change, fuel filter change, tightening a screw...

Also- where to get the tool and app. price.

TIA

Keith

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Torx bits (10, 15, 20, 25, and 30)

Large metric sockets (up to 32 mm for the oil filter housing cap)

Large allen bits (up to 14 mm for the DSG drain plug).

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
vag com

trim removal kit (yellow one) from harbor freight.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
pela oil extractor

car ramps and jacks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Last edited:

KeithinKY

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hey thanks for the great ideas. I will make a list and head down to the local harbor freight.

Finally something I will really like for my birthday- why? Because, I'm picking it out!

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Also some torque wrenches , harbor Freight has affordable ones in both inch lbs and ft lbs .

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
pela oil extractor
Why? Is it really that much harder than another car or is it just a good idea since they are so redily available and affordable now? I did have one person who I consulted before buying my Jetta say that the owners she had talked to who have always changed their own oil have the dealer do it on their VWs because it's a pain.

Heh, I just watched the demo video, have to admit that's pretty fricken cool.

Last edited:

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
WindsorFox said:
It's just a preference. Changing the oil on a VW TDI is probably easier than most other engines because the oil filter is on top. Otherwise, there's no difference. People who say it's hard have probably never tried and assume it's harder because it's a VW.

A lot of people who change their oil from underneath argue that it's important to get under the engine once in a while to check for leaks and other problems. One could argue for both methods.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Only real issue (extremely minor) compared to other cars is the belly pan on the VW diesels. Lots of torx screws to remove and find to put back on.

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Only real issue (extremely minor) compared to other cars is the belly pan on the VW diesels. Lots of torx screws to remove and find to put back on.
Yes, that was my thought too, but the Titan I had had a steel pan under it and my Murano had a plastic cover too. Still might get one for ease of use.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
It's just a preference. Changing the oil on a VW TDI is probably easier than most other engines because the oil filter is on top. Otherwise, there's no difference. People who say it's hard have probably never tried and assume it's harder because it's a VW.

A lot of people who change their oil from underneath argue that it's important to get under the engine once in a while to check for leaks and other problems. One could argue for both methods.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam on the site. I'll relate my personal experience and call it done...
When we first bought the Jetta, I did topside oil changes. Then, I got tired of waiting for the extractor to suck all the oil out. After about 40k miles, I went back to bottom side oil changes.
Fast forward to 130k mile mark...if I had still done the topside oil changes, I would have missed the fact that both CV boots were starting to tear. I caught them before grease was leaking and NO road debris got inside the CV.

Personally, the ability to get under the car to inspect common wear items far outweighs the 'convenience' factor of topside oil changes. The reality is that there is no time savings to be realized between top side and bottom side oil changes.

In addition to the above tools suggestions....
Blitz Ramps - plastic, lightweight, and durable (12k lb load)
Triple Square bits (metalnerd.com)
VCDS (was vag-com)...can't stress it enough!
Timing Belt tools...when you get near 100k miles, though, IIRC, the '09 and up are good for 120K.

Tony

Last edited: