Throttle Body Cleaning

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I noticed on other threads about cleaning out the throttle body, but have not found anything on the BHW throttle body. Should I also clean the throttle body if my EGR is caked with carbon and oily goo, and while looking inside the intake it is coated with an oily goo substance?

If so, what is the procedure to remove it for cleaning?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes, clean it too. Disconnect electrical connectors. Unbolt it to remove it.

The intake manifold bolts are a little difficult to remove. A couple of them are blocked from straight access due to the turbocharger actuator. You may need long, ball end 6mm hex bits to get to them.

Last edited:

Nocky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
The carbon build-up in my 03 was really really soft. It did not take much scraping to get the big chunks loose. After that some carb cleaner and a tooth brush was all it took.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Good God Almighty...

How many miles were on yours and what sort of performance decrease did you see?

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Are we confusing throttle body with EGR in these pics? Why pics from an 03 whatever? Certainly not a passat tdi.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Yuk, mine was not that bad at my 30k cleaning, but I'm gonna check again at 50k. But what about your question about the throttle body? I'm not aware of that needing to be cleaned.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Just unplug the EGR connector. It will stay shut, the intake manifold will stay cleaner, and the car will run fine. The MIL light will stay on and you will get a bleep from it on starting.