www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old January 21st, 2004, 12:47   #1
dlai
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Up There
Default 2004 West Coast TDIFest! (Let\'s Start Planning)

Ok folks, the original thread and idea was from Kerma in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...rt=1#Post653653

We want to seriously start the discussions flowing and begin some planning on holding a West Coast TDIFest sometime this year. So, we need ideas, possible locations, volunteers, and anything else we can think of. There's a huge population of TDI owners on the West Coast, so we're hoping the turn out will be huge. Let's also try to include some family activities to get everyone involved! Let's make this the GTG of the year! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
dlai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 20:12   #2
peter pyce
Veteran Member

Can't remember who suggested the New Dimension as a host, but I am not sure they are that TDI-friendly, therefore I am not so sure they will be so excited about hosting a big TDI GTG. Of course, we can always try, but just kind of can't picture "ND" and "TDI" in one sentence...

Tim Tomas could be possible game, because two days ago I asked him about having lots of TDI people for possible summer GTG with BBQ and he was positive. The thing is, that place is kind of "isolated" and not so good looking neither...

I guess this event will be more than a day, probably two days (Saturday and Sunday), so Tim could be just a part of the event, like the Tech. Part would be in his place for few hours, etc. The thing is, the whole SFBA is full of people and traffic and moving around with 50-100 cars will be pure pain and will cost so much trouble..... I really think that we have to plan something little bit "out" of the SFBA. Perhaps a winery in Napa (or Sonoma) LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] where we can have drinking contest too, with lots of parking on the grass, great weather and food and fantastic roads to go for a Drive. Plenty of motels and B&B too.

To think about it, Reno-Tahoe area is not bad either! A lot more space, cheaper to eat, sleep, etc. and kind of more "central", so we can get more people from Utah, Colorado, Arizona, etc....

Beside this, I like also all the ideas people had on that topic, the only problem is we have to try to stay "central" and the SFBA-Reno kind of falls in there, even if for the Seattle people our land is not central at all compare to our LA members.....

Let's see what people will come out with for the next few weeks and then I guess we will have better picture.
peter pyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 20:26   #3
DaveC
Veteran Member

Hi Peter,
You might give the town of Fairfield CA. some consideration. It is 1 hour from SF, and 3 hours from Reno.
The wine country is 30 minutes away, and it is out of the bay area congestion.
Hotels can be had at a resonable price also.
There are several large parks that can be rented for special events.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 20:52   #4
peter pyce
Veteran Member

Dave, it is not really me who's making the decisions, we ALL will decide and try to suit as many people as possible [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I personally have no problem to drive even to Alaska for a West Coast GTG, but guess many people will simply chose not to come if the location is not so suitable for them.... Also, beside location, the main issue is WHO is going to take the "heavy" task to be the main supporter of the GTG. I mean, if there are 50-100 people coming, we better offer way more than simply a parking lot or a drive way. A dealership is simply one of the best solutions, but our best dealerships are in South California (Harv & Capo). Of course, an individual can do maybe even better, but it is really huge task for a member to organize such event around where he/she lives. Just thinking of where and how to park 50-100 cars is headache alone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If I owned a winery in Napa, boy, you all be my guests, but I am far from having that pleasure. Dave, do not get me wrong, the place you suggest is great, I know it too, the thing is WHO is going to take the task on the shoulders? I really think it is huge, almost impossible work for one private person like you. Of course, we may help, but even then, it is going to be one heavy task as we all have plenty of other things to do in life too. Well, I guess at the end, if we really can't find a bigger "sponsor" for this event - then perhaps we will go Plan "B" and do something more simple on our own, but believe me, it is better we try to involve somebody "bigger" first, because you really do not want to do this alone. Hope I did not sound too negative, just trying to be realistic. Organizing a small in town GTG is already way too much time, which many of us do not really have, so I may not even be able to imagine what would a Mega GTG become [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
peter pyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 21:05   #5
dlai
Veteran Member

If this gets big, then some sort of sponsor is needed. Things like this can be expensive, especially if we decide to include any track, drag, or dyno times for a large group of people. In the SFBA, the actual amount of shops who would even be interested and have the know how to help is very limited. I mentioned ND since they have the experience with these types of GTGs and would know how to gain access to any track or drag strips since I have no idea how to do that. However, I agree, their experience lies in gassers and not diesels. Tomas may help but as you said, their location is so so. Fairfield or Sac is possible, or even Reno or Vegas. I myself like the idea of Vegas since there's probably lots of options there, things will be cheaper, and there's things to do for those family members who don't live and breath TDIs. But we need club members from those areas to assist and scope things out. I'm hoping we can get several sponsors, and perhaps even the help of some who worked prior TDIFests in the past.

Vancouver, Canada or Seattle is another option, since there's lots of members in the PNW, and the B.C. area, home of Fred. Again, this takes lots of help, and some money to get something like this going, at least in my mind. Thoughts?
Old January 21st, 2004, 21:46   #6
tadc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/37

What about Karmart, the newish VW dealer up in WA state near the border? In Mt. Vernon or Burlington? I know they hosted some kind of GTG in the past and were fairly friendly...
tadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 22:44   #7
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Quick note guys.... There can really only be ONE TDIFest a year, BUT, if we are serious, 2005 hasn't been chosen yet..... Hint, hint, nudge, nudge. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:02   #8
KERMA

We should collect funds for this "west fest" just like for the "real" FEST.

FRED, dude, you live on the west coast!! You're welcome to come to this one too! It will be a few weeks earlier thatn the "real" fest.

SLC is doable (for me!!) There is a track, several dynos, Salt Flats. but, not the most convenient for the Cali crowd, and I'm not sure I will have the time to coordinate.

BUt VEGAS may be the most central location. FOr sure that town won't even flinch at us. There is a track, dynos, Diesel Dynamics, etc.

Harv has offered to host an event at his new 4-bay facility. But, it's not very central. Reno probably fits that bill.
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:28   #9
dlai
Veteran Member

Fred: I think the original discussion/idea about this whole thing started since the last two fests were located far away from the west coast. Many didn't want to or couldn't drive the distance and with the doubling of the club in the last two years, it seemed to make sense to try and organize some sort of huge GTG for the west coast folks. Hence this thread.
Old January 24th, 2004, 18:40   #10
mackwood
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38/47

Vegas sounds perfect!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
mackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 21:46   #11
Heinz57
Veteran Member

The suggestion for Fairfield sounds reasonable for a West coast GTG. We would have to have access to a large parking area so a local park would be great but we would still need a place to do some wrenching. A (2)day event also sounds good with the first day meeting at the park, making minor mods, BBQ and every one gets to meet followed by a late afternoon cruise ?? Sunday could be a wrenching day or speed day. Since many people will have to drive 8-12 hours to get there Sunday noon might be sparsely attended.
Heinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 00:55   #12
DaveC
Veteran Member

Two problems I can think of with Vegas are: it is quite a ways south, (10 hour drive from the SF bay area)and the second thing is the heat in the summer. Do you really want to be out wrenching on your car or even outside in 110+ degree heat? I think it would be a good idea if we had it somewhere near the SF bay area. That way it is about equal distance from LA area and the folks up north.

Regarding Fairfield CA. Here is a short list of things to do FREE for the significant other and kids that do not have an interest in TDI's.
The Jelly Belly factory is in town. Free tours are given daily along with samples. Tours of the Budweiser brewery and free beer tasting. Thompsons Chocolate Factory, Wooden Valley Winery tours and tasting, and a large complex of Factory Outlet stores. Napa valley is 30 minutes away for wine tasting or sightseeing.
Vacaville Volkswagen is 10 minutes away.
Thompson's sport tuning shop is 35 minute drive away, so they can participate somehow.
(Honestly, I do not work for the local Fairfield Chamber of Commerce [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:50   #13
KERMA

Yeah, forgot all about how it gets in Vegas in summertime.

Somewhere in Cali is probablby best for the majority.

Foremost in my mind is a track. We need bragging rights.
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 11:54   #14
dparnell
Veteran Member

So far, Fairfield sounds like the best so far. Depending on the date, it could still be 90+ degrees even there. & I assume this is going to be on a 3 day weekend???
Gheeze, I'm still eating food from the last GTG~~~Dan, your Korean chicken(didn't have any @ the PAGTG) is FANTASTIC!!!! That is, from the waist up [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]!!!
dparnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 12:38   #15
DaveC
Veteran Member

The only track I know about for public use in this area is the Sears Point Raceway (Now offically called Infinon Raceway). It is near Vallejo, about 40 minutes from Fairfield. They rent track time to the public. I do not know how much that costs though.
One park in the area is Lake Solano. There is swimming and fishing there for the kids. They have a large lawn area with trees for shade with lots of parking. They reserve areas for groups.

A question that comes to mind, is that do we all want to do at this GTG?
So far I have heard track for racing, barbecue, and wrenching. If we can get general concensus on the activities, we can focus on finding a spot that can accomidate all of these activities. Finding a race track is going to be somewhat of a challenge, since there are not a lot of them around, and they are expensive.
Of course we have to stay with a budget, since we do not have any wealthy benefactors that I know about. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Perhaps we can find a few local businesses to help sponsor this event.
It seems sort of ironic that we are celebrating a car that is not even legal to buy in California presently.
Perhaps we can talk a local VW dealer into having a couple demo 2004 TDI cars for us to drive and look at. Us California TDI enthusiasts would like that.