www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old March 16th, 2016, 18:23   #361
romad
Veteran Member

My longest road trip is a toss up between one I made in 2002 in my Miata and the one in 2012 in my Jetta; both were about 6,500 miles. I've also driven over 4,000 miles in Scandinavia in my 1981 Jetta; the trip started 30 days after we picked the car up in Luxembourg on Memorial Day weekend in 1981. In the 70s I drove all over Europe.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 01:32   #362
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

My longest road trip was sadly not in a TDI, but in a Toyota MR2. The trip was from Birmingham to Roswell, NM, then to Cheyenne, WY, then to Pocatello, ID, then Seattle by way of Missoula, MT. From there it was north to Vancouver, BC, then down to Los Angeles, then east to San Antonio, Texas, then back to Birmingham. All told it was a bit over 7,000 miles and I only did it in about eight days.

If that isn't crazy enough, the transmission would not stay in 5th gear so I held the stick in place the entire time. Needless to say, my right forearm was rather buff when I finally parted with that car.

Not sure what my longest trip in a TDI would be. Either the trip from B'ham to Maine, Montreal and Toronto in my 2000 Golf or my trip to Los Angeles from central Mississippi in the '05 Golf.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 19:45   #363
zimmy

Fuel Economy: 48-54
Thumbs up Tdi trips

Wow!

Alota these trips make mine seem like nothing... I recently drove from pewaukee wisconsin up to thunder bay canada and back was about 1100 miles round trip. Seeing lake superior was pretty cool, never been up there and what a better way to do it in the golf. Made it all the way up to Duluth and still had some fuel left but decided to fill up there as gas stations get pretty sparce in the northland If anyone on this forum is from wisconsin area i highly reccomend this trip, pretty cool.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 13:36   #364
Was a fordie
Veteran Member

trust me, I know im from minnesota orginally.....i love camping up there in Gooseberry Falls State Park. Its amazing I also like split rock light house state park. If you get a chance ever to see it, its cool . Unfortunately, the Lighthouse is no longer part of the DNR control, the Minnesota Historical Society runs it, so Separate entrance fees

Where you at, PM me, we should tdi it up sometime..... I think im not that far from you. Im in Wausau, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Wow!

Alota these trips make mine seem like nothing... I recently drove from pewaukee wisconsin up to thunder bay canada and back was about 1100 miles round trip. Seeing lake superior was pretty cool, never been up there and what a better way to do it in the golf. Made it all the way up to Duluth and still had some fuel left but decided to fill up there as gas stations get pretty sparce in the northland If anyone on this forum is from wisconsin area i highly reccomend this trip, pretty cool.
Old April 26th, 2016, 08:06   #365
skromfols
Veteran Member

My wife and I are both retired, which gives us adequate free time for road trips, however, we have two dogs and two cats, which restrict our travel time (we hire pet sitters whenever we leave, but still feel guilty).

We have other vehicles (a sedan, a pick up, three motorcycles and an ATV), but still put over 40,000 miles on our TDI in 2 years, because we love driving it.

Our first road trip in the JSW was up to Nevada, which is only a couple hours drive, but it's over Hwy 88 through the Sierra Nevada mountains, so it's a fun drive, and this little TDI with a 6 sp manual loves the mountains. We went to Iggy & Squiggy's Bar and Grill for their famous ribeye steak sandwich lunch. It's on Hwy 395 just north of Lake Topaz and unless you know exactly where to look you'll never find it.

Our second road trip was to Pinetop Arizona. My wife wanted to see some of old Route 66 and I have a cousin in Pinetop that I hadn't seen in years, so off we went, stopping in Winslow Arizona to see the famous corner (Standing on the Corner in Winslow Arizona). We also enjoyed seeing Wig Wom motels, Burma Shave signs and other relics of by gone days. I think we averaged about 43 MPG, even with my heavy foot.

Our most recent trip was to San Felipe, Mexico. We fueled up before leaving home and did't need more fuel until we got to Palm Springs (almost 600 miles). We spent the night in Palm Springs and joined up with friends and continued into Mexico the following morning. San Felipe is a little fishing village on the East coast of the Baja, Inexpensive, friendly and great weather during our cold winter months. I probably kept the speedometer at around 80 MPH more often than not on this trip and with my wife and a weeks worth of baggage (and 4 kilos of shrimp coming back in my cooler), I still averaged about 42 MPG.

We absolutely love this little JSW and just hope that the VW “fix” doesn't screw it up.
Old April 26th, 2016, 11:34   #366
Blacktree
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg (mostly city)
Thumbs up

My longest road trip so far was about 7700 miles round trip. This was long before I owned my Jetta. Actually, the road trip was done in a Pontiac Fiero... no kidding.

We started out in Orlando Florida, then went to:

White Sands
Meteor Crater
Grand Canyon
Pike's Peak
Royal Gorge
Mount Rushmore
Yellowstone
Grand Tetons

... and then back home. The whole tour took about 3 weeks... lots of camping and hiking, lots of photos, and many fond memories.

I haven't gone on a road trip in the Jetta yet. But next time, we're taking the Jetta.

Last edited by Blacktree; April 26th, 2016 at 11:38.
Blacktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 07:43   #367
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

My longest road trip was last September - about 9700 miles from San Diego to Nova Scotia and back. Took about 30 days. A couple of years before that we drove from San Diego to Montreal via Route 66 and back - about 6500 round trip.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 17:17   #368
flashmayo
Veteran Member

Not my longest, but did a ski trip from Santa Cruz CA to Victor ID. It's about 12 hours to get there. Did some skiing for about a week then back. Solo, and each leg in one sitting, save for stopping for fuel and to drain a tank every so often.
I've also been making the trek to Bend OR for skiing with the TDI. That's about 10 hours in the saddle each way.
I find the mk 4 seats to be less than super comfy on long drives.
flashmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 17:20   #369
flashmayo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalC View Post
San Juan Capistrano to Fairbanks, Denali National Park, Anchorage with various side trips and back. 8500 miles total July 30-Aug 15. Went north via I5 Sumas, WA border crossing, which sucked, would do Vancouver next time, if there is a next time, Montana origin of I15 crossing coming back. Hope BC up to Cassiar Highway, Whitehorse YT to Fairbanks. Ft Nelson to Prince George BC then Jasper and Banff National Park to Calgary Alberta then I15 home.

Fuel mileage average was probably 47-48 with new Michelin 205-65-15s. Awesome trip but lots of driving in short time...averaged 500 miles a day. Saw a funnel cloud in Denali NP, very rare.
Does the Cassiar still have a couple hundred miles of gravel or is it all paved now?
flashmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 18:56   #370
AmandaSch
Veteran Member

Memorial Day weekend drove 1700 round trip to Nashville to help some friends move and then just this past weekend did the trip again for CMA fest.
AmandaSch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 07:58   #371
CHDriver

Fuel Economy: 30.5-mpg at 37.5K-miles

Just finished a trip from Atlanta to Clarksville, TN, then to Paducah, KY (all interstate driving). Then west on US 62/65 to Branson, MO (beautiful drive). Then home via Little Rock, AR (US 65) (beautiful rolling hills), Memphis (I-40), new I-22 to Birmingham, AL and the final leg on I-20 to Atlanta. Some 750-mi with cruise 5-mph over limit for an moving average of 65-mph. MPG for trip: 42 as per "Fuelly."
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:25   #372
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Last summer we did a 2300 mile round trip from NC to IA. We're doing the same this summer but adding a 450 mile bike ride in the middle of the trip.
Old July 17th, 2016, 19:54   #373
AmandaSch
Veteran Member

Doing roughly 1800 miles in a couple of weeks, going down to Georgia, then to NC and then back home.
AmandaSch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 15:16   #374
jay.sejkora2011

In July I went from DC to San Fransisco..43hrs total first run. Then back the following week. Kinda tired for a few days. took longer than anticipated.
jay.sejkora2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 22:21   #375
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG on the Jetta

We just clicked over 10k miles on a road trip that started in Southeast Kentucky to Alaska and back down through the Rocky Mountains. We finished up in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, etc., today (July 25th) and headed east to Douglas, Wyoming. We plan to hit Crazy Horse, Rushmore and the Badlands tomorrow and then head for home... expecting to go beyond 11k miles in about 31 days!

EDIT: The road trip was finished on July 29th ... 31 days and 11,860 miles!~ (ALH 84 Vanagon)
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.

Last edited by AndyBees; August 26th, 2016 at 19:28. Reason: Add end of trip info
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote