www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:20   #241
UsArmyTDI
Veteran Member

on the 27th im going from fort hood texas to deltona florida; about 1,137 miles one way. im drivng straight threwonly stoping for potty brakes. it will be intresting cause the wife will be in the passenger seat.
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:44   #242
Dieselbra

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsArmyTDI View Post
on the 27th im going from fort hood texas to deltona florida; about 1,137 miles one way. im drivng straight threwonly stoping for potty brakes. it will be intresting cause the wife will be in the passenger seat.
I'm working at fort hood on the future Darnall hospital project. Good luck with Florida.
Dieselbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:27   #243
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on my right foot

Taking my vacation out to California for 2 weeks on June 2nd. Final destination is Chowchilla. 1,681 Miles from my place to my Moms. should be alot of fun. Hope to join the 600 mile tank club
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:40   #244
Alchemist
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Leaving next Sunday for TDI Fest, via Lethbridge Alberta and Eureka California with stops at SLC Utah, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and any other interesting thing we see along the way.
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:26   #245
2slowtdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 26 city /37 hwy max 40.2

Just got back from Washington state backpacking in the Olympic National Park Hoh Rain Forest.
Left with 55 gals Bio diesel in trunk and a full tank filled up in Sequim Wa. with reg diesel
Turned over 100,000 miles as was driving onto boat to Bainbridge Island.
The trip was just at 4800 miles round trip.
It was nice to leave temps in the 100's and see 45 to 75 for temps.
2slowtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:49   #246
cascade7997
Veteran Member

Default Summer Vacation

I was gone for 23 days. 23 states, 6 National Parks and 7800 miles.

Greenville, SC; Dodge City, KS; Colorado Cuty, Grand Junction, Durango, CO;
Mexican Hat, Payson, Salt Lake City, Ogden, UT; Twin Falls, ID; Glacier National Park, MT; Williston, ND; Deadwood, Lead, Sturgis, Wall, SD; North Plate, NE; Oelwein, IA, Milwaukee, WI; Chicago, IL; then a straight shot home

2005 Golf TDI, 204000 miles, no problems on the trip.

Howard Garner
cascade7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 20:02   #247
corvettecrazy
Veteran Member

My favorite road trip so far was 3900 miles, 13 states in 15 days. One crooked route from Key West to Pittsburgh. The day after I got back I moved 900 miles across 3 states.

Then there are the road trips like last weekend to take care of family. 1200 miles, 19 hours of driving during a 60 hour window from leaving the driveway to being back in it.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 17:26   #248
magicmanwon

Default road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflextdi View Post
Well put - I prefer the "Blue Highways" but don't always have the time for it. Still, it's a state of mind.

To be an official road trip I'd say it has to be more than one tank of fuel. Overnights are optional but preferred...
I dont think that we should consider one tank of fuel as a road trip. I have a 1.9 TDI in my 83 Rabbit pickup its gets good mileage BUT I have a 33 gal tank in the bed (off of one of my wrecked NPR's) plus the 16 gal under the bed........I refill at around 2000miles......... that is more then a road trip. I think a road trip is anywhere that takes one out of the driveway for an hour or longer. Like from Abq. to Santa Fe with only one stop to check the air in the rt rear tire. ;o) nuff said..
magicmanwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:56   #249
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

Gosh, if we define a road trip that way, magicmanwon, then 9/10ths of my daily driving is road trips! Just going to lunch would qualify, even, as some of my favorite restaurants are 20-50 miles away.
Old October 1st, 2011, 18:34   #250
donz26

Just finished a 2 week/5000 mile big circle road trip from St. Louis to Monterey Bay, Cal. and back. I drove a mix interstate, divided, and two lane, including sections of Route 66, the Lincoln highway, and "The Lonliest road in America". I took in 3 National Parks, (Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, and Death Valley, along with Petroglyph National Monument, and several museums along the way. Oh, and I watched my favorite niece get married on a cliff overlooking Monterey Bay.

Averaged 43 mpg for the trip, including one tank of 608.5 miles.
donz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 16:05   #251
DieselFan1984
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Stock 36-43

I have done 3 trips from Houston to Cincinnati and back. I'm fixing to make that trip again next week when I return from Brazil. I am currently working on details and plans for a BIG trip next summer with the Jetta.

Houston-Cincinnati-Ketchikan-Anchorage-Fairbanks-Cincinnati-Dallas-Houston....throwing the trip on Google Maps, it looks like I'll pull at least 11000 miles when it's all said done. Plans are bicycling, hiking, Ziplining, and Kayaking with tent camping as preferred choice for living accommodations. I'm certainly getting stoked about making this trip!
DieselFan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:13   #252
Bomber2k9

My longest road trip was a 9 hour drive one way to Eugene, Oregon from Modesto California to visit my girlfriend for the weekend. I'm planning on repeating it on the 25th.
Bomber2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:27   #253
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/47/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber2k9 View Post
My longest road trip was a 9 hour drive one way to Eugene, Oregon from Modesto California to visit my girlfriend for the weekend. I'm planning on repeating it on the 25th.
I hope you made it easily on 1 tank!

303,00 miles and counting!
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 12:56   #254
BEN721364
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnyardsTDI View Post
Taking my vacation out to California for 2 weeks on June 2nd. Final destination is Chowchilla. 1,681 Miles from my place to my Moms. should be alot of fun. Hope to join the 600 mile tank club
I frequently drive between Austin and Ocean Springs, MS (600+ miles) on a fill up at each end, and I might fudge a bit on the speed limit!
BEN721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:36   #255
qsabe

Fuel Economy: 36-38 city, 45 -51 highway

Fall of 2010 the first road trip was to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, 350 miles up to try out the new car. That was followed last summer by one from south of Detroit to Acadia in Maine over several days. That trip was great fun as the GPS system was programmed to take us over non-Freeway, non-Toll Roads back country driving on winding twisty mountain roads. Just back from a trip to Key West, Florida, freeways and toll roads included. Mileage for that trip was between 40 and 50 mpg, with the better when I held my lead foot up some. I like wandering back roads so after getting to Jacksonville did the coastal highway down and back. Leaving in the next couple weeks for the southwest to shoot a few desert videos. Absolutely love this car, except when in Suburbs where women in huge boxes, on cell phones make maneuvering difficult.

Last edited by qsabe; March 3rd, 2012 at 08:41.
qsabe is offline   Reply With Quote