2013 Jetta shock absorber question

Alcohol

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
How many miles until you change rear shocks,,,,mine has 60000 miles and the rear shocks seem to be awful weak,,,,the way they lay down may be part of the problem,,,what brands do you prefer,,monroe,,bilstein,,kyb,,,buy from Rock Auto? thanks

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
There's no defined or set guideline for when to change shock's but generally they're good until at least 100k miles.
Could you describe in greater detail as to why you think they're gone? How's the front?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
What kind of load are you putting on them? Is the rear bouncing everywhere, bottoming out?

Alcohol

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
The RR sounds like it bottoms out,,,,fronts are good,,,driving on freeway a lot and the cracks in the freeway are very noticeable on the rear

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Sounds like it's shot! As for aftermarket,not much experience here...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW OE damper life is variable. We haven't heard a lot about beam axle Jetta sedans, but usually the do last longer than 60K miles on the later cars. MKIV dampers were too soft from the factory and were pretty much done by 60K miles.

Keep in mind that the beam axle on the Jetta was only in 2.slow and TDIs, only for 11-13. GLIs from that time and all Jetta Sedans after 2013 have IRS and use different dampers. The OE part number for the damper you want is 5C0513025H. You can get OE Sachs replacements, as well as Konis. Don't know if Bilstein makes a damper for this application or not. The Jetta Sedan isn't a big seller in Europe so some of the Euro aftermarket suppliers have ignored the beam axle cars.