Glow plug testing

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
With the cost of replacement glow plugs for a 2012 Jetta, I was wondering if there is a procedure for testing them prior to replacing them. I know on my old Mk4 ALH, I just pulled out the plug and tested it with my multimeter to see if it was good or bad. Can you do the same with the Mk6 glow plugs?

Thanks,

Glenn

R87

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
With the cost of replacement glow plugs for a 2012 Jetta, I was wondering if there is a procedure for testing them prior to replacing them. I know on my old Mk4 ALH, I just pulled out the plug and tested it with my multimeter to see if it was good or bad. Can you do the same with the Mk6 glow plugs?
Thanks,
Glenn
Yes, you can. I had a bad glow plug and used this procedure to check for the bad one. Replaced it and haven't had issues with any others since. In fact, I didn't even have to pull the plugs out. Just take the wire off of the top and you can poke the multimeter down to the top of the glow plug.

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
True, but that monitoring only tells you something is wrong with the glow plug circuit for a specific cylinder or cylinders. Actual troubleshooting tells you if it is a bad plug, a broken wire, loose connector, etc...... much better than throwing parts at a problem until it is fixed if you ask me.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
From your original post you make it seem like you are looking to test them "just because", not because you have a fault related to them. If that was not your intent, I apologize.

The CR cars monitor the glow plugs in the same way, and can be tested in the same way (and you needn't remove them from the engine to test them, in either engine).

However, the CR engines' plugs also have a cylinder pressure sensor in them, which means getting to the contact for the heating element portion will be a little trickier. Personally, I have only ever seen a couple CR engines' plugs fail in this manner anyway (and I [used to] service a lot of these). It is much more common to have the pressure sensor fail OR the connector to them have a bad contact. In which case, monitoring the pressure values while wiggling the connectors (there is a TSB for this) is how you would determine if you need a new plug or splice in a new connector assembly.

To be honest, from what I have seen, you are FAR more likely to have the intake position sensor, DPF, turbocharger, or one of the exhaust/EGR pressure sensors fail before you'll have to worry about a glow plug.