mk6 or mk7

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Yeah, I know this is a 7 forum but I have had neither and am poised to jump asap. I have my finger on a 2014 Golf 5 speed that has 6700 miles . ( yes, you read that right ) or I can look for a 2015...

Tell you the truth, the 7's complexity scares the crap out of me and is unproven

That being said, driving one was very very nice.. feels solid and the seats are super comfy.

I am torn.... Your opinion?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've owned a 6, never warmed up to it. I like my MK7 a lot. Better body structure, ride, and handling, quieter. I think the emissions system is well designed and I'm not concerned about its apparent complexity. Besides, all those components have a great warranty.

MK7 all the way.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I had a MkV and now have a MkVII. The MkVII is heads above the MkV. I can't comment on the MkVi. Drive them both and see what you think.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have had one Mk7 Golf TDI and three Mk6 Golf TDIs, currently daily driving a '13 Golf TDI with tech pkg/6MT. It is my favorite of the Golf TDIs I have owned.

BlauWagenTDI

TDI
2011 Golf 6M 2Dr TDI, Killed by a texting driver, 2013 Beetle TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI SEL,
I had a MK6 6mt with a Malone stage 2 tune. Well equipped, but cloth, and no tech package. I now have a MK7 SEL DSG with every option. I would pick the MK7 every time. I do occasionally miss the manual trans, but not enough to go back. The active bi-xenon, leather, and rain sense may have something to do with it, but it generally seems more refined. Power, and fuel economy seem similar even though the MK7 isn't tuned. The DSG is the only transmission that made me question my loyalty to manuals. In a traffic jam, it's nice to put it in auto, and let it do the work. The MK6 was definitely more friendly to the diy side of me, but I've adapted, and don't mind the extra hassle anymore.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I have had one Mk7 Golf TDI and three Mk6 Golf TDIs, currently daily driving a '13 Golf TDI with tech pkg/6MT. It is my favorite of the Golf TDIs I have owned.

Other than the sweet bixenons that you get with the tech package, what makes it the favorite of the bunch? Why better than the MK7 or the other two MK6's?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I am not saying the Mk6 is better then the Mk7 but I prefer the suspension and steering of the Mk6 TDI over the Mk7 TDI. Larger fuel tank, no DEF, cloth seats that seem more comfortable to me. I can not stand pano sunroofs, every single one I have had makes noise. So when I saw a clean Mk6 with 6MT and tech pkg come up for sale at the local dealer I traded in a Passat and am happy to be back in the Mk6. Bumper to Bumper warranty for 2 yrs/100,000 miles helped my decision as well.

My other two earlier cars were a 2013 Golf TDI with tech and DSG, as well as a 2014 JSW TDI with 6MT. The '13 Golf my wife commandeered, it was a great car but I felt the DSG to be a bit clunky at slower speeds. Performance of the DSG seemed to improve after the first 40k fluid change, but the car was bought back by VW along with the Mk7 TDI SEL with DSG.

Dont get me wrong, the Mk7 is a great car but my personal preference with diesel was the Mk6. I never drove an EA288 powered diesel with both stages of the fix performed but owned a 2015 Passat TDI DSG with the first software update completed and was not very impressed. The fix for the first generation cars seemed to be a small concession, slightly louder with more frequent regens. Fuel economy is comparable to every other TDI I have owned. Power delivery feels the same. I commute 500 miles per week and the Mk6 still delivers 600 miles per tank.

Now on the GTI side, I prefer the Mk7 all the way as we have had two in the household and my wife currently is daily driving a 2017 GTI with DSG.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
I had a 2014 Golf (gas) and I did prefer the cloth seats as they were cooler in the summer.

But my '15 TDI S is really comfortable. I like the look better on the '15. Interior is better too. I wouldn't get a 5spd manual either (assume you're getting a non-TDI)?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Tell you the truth, the 7's complexity scares the crap out of me and is unproven
I wouldn't buy a car that scared the crap out of me. You like the MK6. You found a nice one. Just buy it.

Based on earlier thread posts I think you've been after a new or low low mile MK6 for a long time. Go for it!

But I can relate. I had a very hard time deciding and still wonder if I'd like a MK7 better or if it could prove to be a better car in the long run. But I love my wagon. I found a mint one that was exactly what I was looking for and I'm enjoying it.

Sply_freedon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG, 2012 Golf TDI DSG
I am not saying the Mk6 is better then the Mk7 but I prefer the suspension and steering of the Mk6 TDI over the Mk7 TDI. Larger fuel tank, no DEF, cloth seats that seem more comfortable to me. I can not stand pano sunroofs, every single one I have had makes noise. So when I saw a clean Mk6 with 6MT and tech pkg come up for sale at the local dealer I traded in a Passat and am happy to be back in the Mk6. Bumper to Bumper warranty for 2 yrs/100,000 miles helped my decision as well.

My other two earlier cars were a 2013 Golf TDI with tech and DSG, as well as a 2014 JSW TDI with 6MT. The '13 Golf my wife commandeered, it was a great car but I felt the DSG to be a bit clunky at slower speeds. Performance of the DSG seemed to improve after the first 40k fluid change, but the car was bought back by VW along with the Mk7 TDI SEL with DSG.

Dont get me wrong, the Mk7 is a great car but my personal preference with diesel was the Mk6. I never drove an EA288 powered diesel with both stages of the fix performed but owned a 2015 Passat TDI DSG with the first software update completed and was not very impressed. The fix for the first generation cars seemed to be a small concession, slightly louder with more frequent regens. Fuel economy is comparable to every other TDI I have owned. Power delivery feels the same. I commute 500 miles per week and the Mk6 still delivers 600 miles per tank.

Now on the GTI side, I prefer the Mk7 all the way as we have had two in the household and my wife currently is daily driving a 2017 GTI with DSG.
I appreciate this. I purchased a 2015 TDI SEL over the summer and just purchased a 2012 TDI for my daughter. I can feel that my daughter's mk6 is heavier and doesn't corner as well, but for me that is more than made up for by the responsiveness of both the suspension and steering, and the power transfer. Her mk6 is more likely to chirp the tires, whereas my mk7 is more likely not to respond to the pedal, and the handling of the mk6 makes my mk7 feel like a boat (this is despite the mk6's 17" vs. the mk7's 18" wheels.) The mk6 feels quick and very "tight." I am surprised I can't find more people talking about this. Do my impressions match yours? And can you explain why you prefer mk7 GTIs?

I can speak to the phase 2 fix on my mk7 - it seemed to decrease the torque.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Mk6 is easier to work on and has a much larger aftermarket. I've owned both and I even bought a second Mk6, but I would never buy another Mk7. Not impressed.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I like my MK7 better than my prior mk6. Admittedly, I like my MK7 much better after tweaking the vagcom settings. I’m not thrilled with the lack of IRS in the MK7, but it’s quieter, heats up faster and seems more poised on the road to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
My take on it... The seats in the mk7 are horrible compared to the mk6. The rigid support and bolstering in the mk6 seats were perfect for me. I find that after a few hours driving in the mk7, it feels like my rear goes numb and is like sitting on a piece of plywood. In the mk6 I could drive hours on end and have no discomfort whatsoever. I also notice the rear suspension is nowhere near as good in the mk7, being a solid rear axle. With that said I don't think I would buy a fixed mk6, which is why I ended up in an mk7. I was able to end up in a 4 year newer vehicle with 60000km less on it for around $1k after the buyback.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I lost my 6 to an Uber driver in a MB E350 (with a fare!). It had maybe 35k on it, and it was a PERFECT car. Last year of the engine model, bugs, problems worked out. I think even the HPFP was good for the long haul.

I replaced it with the 2015 (DSG, ppphhtt!). It was all I could find at the moment, and I regret it. I see MKVIs out there for great prices now.

I miss the eyeglasses compartment up behind the cabin light controls, the space under the front seat, the 115V outlet in a convenient location between the seats, about TWO LITERS less oil every time I change it!!!, and dashboard lighting that I can actually SEE! What is it about the new dashboard lights on the MKVII? It is as if they are made to be invisible. Small odometer, speedometer text hidden in the dark. Even the time is hard to read, in TWO locations!

My vote is rather obvious.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
That's a curious observation because the differences between my 2012 and 2015 sportwagens' dashes and gauges were nonexistent. I never used the eyeglass compartment so I haven't even noticed it missing. I did use the bluetooth voice for calls and the wind noise on the 2012 was atrocious. Various threads exist explaining how to better sound proof the JSW's mic. Wind noise inside the entire cabin is much better controlled on the Mk7.

The passenger seat doesn't have as much controls as the earlier model I had, but the driver's seat has more lumbar support controls. The actual shape and size of them, however, seemed identical to me so I don't know how one would be significantly more comfortable than the other.

There's a roller switch to control the intensity of the dash lights. If it's not working that's a problem, but if you've got it turned all the way in both directions and the brightest setting is too low for you I don't know what is going on. I haven't adjusted my '98's lights in a decade but I think it's the same wheel and same intensity settings between that and my 2015.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
That's a curious observation because the differences between my 2012 and 2015 sportwagens' dashes and gauges were nonexistent. I never used the eyeglass compartment so I haven't even noticed it missing. I did use the bluetooth voice for calls and the wind noise on the 2012 was atrocious. Various threads exist explaining how to better sound proof the JSW's mic. Wind noise inside the entire cabin is much better controlled on the Mk7.

The passenger seat doesn't have as much controls as the earlier model I had, but the driver's seat has more lumbar support controls. The actual shape and size of them, however, seemed identical to me so I don't know how one would be significantly more comfortable than the other.

There's a roller switch to control the intensity of the dash lights. If it's not working that's a problem, but if you've got it turned all the way in both directions and the brightest setting is too low for you I don't know what is going on. I haven't adjusted my '98's lights in a decade but I think it's the same wheel and same intensity settings between that and my 2015.
Next time I see a '14 like the one I had, I will ask the owner if I can look at the dash. It is twilight that is the worst. Even with the lights on, the dash is dark. Yes, I have the dimmer rolled up to highest. It is OK at night, though text is small. I have progressed to 2.0 readers, but I don't think that is why.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I actually don't see that much daylight between the mk6 and mk7. My own preference would be toward the mk6 based on the superior suspension, better fuel capacity/range, and simpler cooling and emissions systems. I'd really need more seat time in a mk7 tdi before making a final decision.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually don't see that much daylight between the mk6 and mk7. My own preference would be toward the mk6 based on the superior suspension, better fuel capacity/range, and simpler cooling and emissions systems. I'd really need more seat time in a mk7 tdi before making a final decision.
Add to my list of MK6 preferences... Yes, I agree also on the ~ 100 miles additional range due to larger fuel tank (AND, otherwise stated, NO DEF).
About 10% better fuel economy on top of that.
And yes, the faster warm up is due to the new coolant valve... another thing to break in the long run. Not worth heating the cabin a couple of minutes earlier to me.

Also, the twin harmonic balancers, perhaps one of the reason for another 2 LITERS of engine oil. These balancers are NOT field serviceable!

One more thing, I used to be able to hear my turbo in the MK6. It is more deeply buried and isolated on the MK7. IS that important? You tell me!

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
If you opt for an SE or SEL, the sunroof control area has an eyeglass compartment.
Also, the SEL seats are absolutely superb! The comment above about horrible seats is likely related to the S and SE seats, in which I absolutely agree are not good. Would get aches after just a short two hour drive, whereas in my SEL I can go 6 hours without any trouble.

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
If you opt for an SE or SEL, the sunroof control area has an eyeglass compartment.
Also, the SEL seats are absolutely superb! The comment above about horrible seats is likely related to the S and SE seats, in which I absolutely agree are not good. Would get aches after just a short two hour drive, whereas in my SEL I can go 6 hours without any trouble.
I agree, my MKVII SEL seats are great. I did a couple of test drives in S's and SE's, and I couldn't stand the seats in them. My 02 MKIV was the same way, the stock valour seats were awful, I would be in pain on a long drive. I replaced them with a set of GLI sport seats and love them.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They're both pretty sharp looking economy cars. Those who drive station wagons shouldn't throw stones.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I never had a complaint and actually enjoyed the seats in my SEL Mk7...but the more highly bolstered cloth Mk6 seats are best in my opinion.