Crappier ( ie. different) fuel in Kalifornia

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Someone told me that the diesel fuel in CA is poorer quality than in other states hence poorer fuel economy.

Any truth to that?

P.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It has to meet the same standards at least that every other state does. IIRC CA. has some higher standards requiring 50 cetane which is higher than anywhere else. They also have diesel HPR in some places which is quite good IIRC. I doubt theirs is any worse and possibly somewhat better.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Someone told me that the diesel fuel in CA is poorer quality than in other states hence poorer fuel economy.
Any truth to that?
P.

Considering that Commiefornia is ran by a bunch of green nut jobs, it would only make sense that they mandate the best fuel possible in order to reduce pollution. If I'm not mistaken, federally mandated minimum cetane number for any diesel fuel sold in the US is 40. If they instituted 50 as the minimum, I would not be surprised at all, but that may have an impact on fuel economy, although I would assume only a negligible one.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
California has the highest quality D2 in the country requiring a minimum cetane number of 53 CN.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Cetane alone doesn't necessarily mean it is the best fuel in the country. It is but one standard of quality.
Best = highest quality. I use CA diesel #2 with a catalyst fuel additive that enhances combustion. It's incredible how long it takes for the engine oil to turn dark using this combination. The last oil analysis I did had only 0.1% soot after 7800 miles.
The California Air Resources Board is conducting a comprehensive study to better characterize
the potential emissions benefits of CARB ULSD compared to other federal diesel fuels. The goal
of this study is to understand the impacts of emissions from these different fuels in diesel engines.
The program includes engine dynamometer and chassis dynamometer emissions testing with
three different fuels. The testing included a baseline CARB ultralow sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel
and two federal diesel fuels. One Federal fuel, referred to as “Federal A”, represents an average
Federal ultralow sulfur diesel fuel and the second, referred to as “Federal B”, is commercially
available Federal ultralow sulfur diesel fuel that due to its properties may contribute to higher
exhaust emissions. This memorandum summarizes the results from three engines tested under
this comprehensive program. The testing described in this memorandum was conducted on a
2007 MBE4000 engine, a 2006 Cummins ISM engine and a 1991 Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine
in CE-CERT’s engine dynamometer laboratory. Testing was also conducted on two different
engine test cycles, the FTP and 50 mph CARB cruise cycles.
A summary of the results is as follows:
Engine Testing Results:
• NOx emissions for the Federal A and Federal B fuels were higher than those for the
CARB ULSD for all the engines and cycles. The NOx increases compared to CARB for
the different engines ranged from 4.7 to 10% for the two Federal fuels, were statistically
significant for all cases, and were similar between the different test engines. For the 2006
Cummins and the 1991 DDC 60 engines, the emissions for the Federal B fuel were higher
than those for the Federal A fuel for most cycle combinations. For 2007 MBE 4000 and
1991 DDC 60, the observed emissions impacts were greater for the FTP than the 50 mph
cruise. The opposite trend was seen for the Federal A fuel for 2006 Cummins engine with
respect to cycle differences, although this is probably due in part with some stability
issues that were seen during the testing for the 50 mph cruise cycle for the Cummins
engine.
• The PM emissions showed statistically significant increases on the Federal A and B fuels
for the Cummins engine over the FTP, but not over the 50 mph cruise cycle or for the
MBE4000 on either cycle. For the MBE4000, the values are very low, so the differences
were within the measurement error at these levels.
• THC emissions on 1991 DDC 60 showed statistically significant differences between
fuels ranging from a 14.4-29.5% increase using Federal diesel blend fuels, while no
consistent trends between different fuels for MBE4000 and 2006 Cummins ISM were
observed for the 50-mph cruise cycle.
• CO Emissions for all the three engines showed higher emissions for both Federal diesel
blends compared with CARB diesel. The CO emissions increases were highest for the
FTP cycle for all the three engines. The emissions differences between CARB diesel and
the Federal diesels for the 2006 Cummins and the 1991 DDC 60 varied from
approximately 3 to 23%.
• CO2 emissions showed slightly higher emissions for both Federal diesel blends and all
three engines. The CO2 emissions increases were relatively consistent between the three
engines and ranged from 1-2%, with the Federal B fuel showing slightly higher increases
than the Federal A fuel on the Cummins and DDC 60 engines for the 50 mph cruise
cycle.
• Some trends of lower brake specific fuel consumption were seen for the Federal B fuel.
The differences between Federal B and CARB ULSD over the FTP cycle for all three
engines were statistically significant. For 1991 DDC 60 the differences between the
CARB ULSD and Federal B were also statistically significant over the 50 mph cruise.
The lower fuel consumption for the Federal B fuel is not unexpected, given that this fuel
has a higher density than the other test fuels. The CARB and Federal A fuels did not
show any differences in fuel consumption for the Cummins engine.​
Full study here: https://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/diesel/dieselcomp/07222010CARB_FedEngDraftMemo.pdf

Last edited:

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI

Any truth to that?

It's pretty much the opposite of that- with the mild climate, most of the state gets summer diesel year round which provides better fuel economy, plus the cetane ratings are higher than elsewhere, as mentioned above. High population density also means high fuel 'flux' so that you aren't likely to get water or dirt in your fuel- I have never had water in my water separator or a clogged filter driving all over CA.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Best = highest quality. I use CA diesel #2 with a catalyst fuel additive that enhances combustion. It's incredible how long it takes for the engine oil to turn dark using this combination. The last oil analysis I did had only 0.1% soot after 7800 miles.
What catalyst fuel additive are you using if I may ask?

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
It's not that it's crappier. It's cleanER burning than fuel elsewhere. But some of the "dirtier" fuels may have a higher energy content (BTUs--not talking cetane here) that gives a small bump in fuel economy and power... and particulates.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
What catalyst fuel additive are you using if I may ask?
I'm going to get a 2nd analysis done on my ALH with intact EGR before I advertise this fuel additive. So far it's impressive but I need confirmation. You've probably never heard of it before and it's only sold direct by the manufacturer.

The first test I'm referencing was on a GMC Canyon 2.8 Duramax with intact emissions system and uses lots of EGR. It was incredible how long the oil took to get dark. It was opaque until about 5K miles of use at which point it was dark, however still not pitch black like we expect to see with diesel oil. My mechanic who changed the oil and pulled the sample even commented on how it wasn't very dark considering there was almost 8K miles on the oil!

I also notice a similar effect on my ALH Golf but will wait until I get 10K miles on the oil before I send the sample in for testing.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
North America vs Europe diesel additives

I'm going to get a 2nd analysis done on my ALH with intact EGR before I advertise this fuel additive. So far it's impressive but I need confirmation. You've probably never heard of it before and it's only sold direct by the manufacturer.

The first test I'm referencing was on a GMC Canyon 2.8 Duramax with intact emissions system and uses lots of EGR. It was incredible how long the oil took to get dark. It was opaque until about 5K miles of use at which point it was dark, however still not pitch black like we expect to see with diesel oil. My mechanic who changed the oil and pulled the sample even commented on how it wasn't very dark considering there was almost 8K miles on the oil!

I also notice a similar effect on my ALH Golf but will wait until I get 10K miles on the oil before I send the sample in for testing.
Good deal. I appreciate waiting for the testing results to post here.

Do you think diesel additives in the US/Canada are more geared towards heavy duty vehicles (on the average) vs in Europe which is dominated by light duty diesel vehicles? Does it matter anyways?