2009 Jetta Sportwagen poor mpg - EPA fix, engine/DSG tuned, new susp, tires & algnmt

brkdrvr

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd manual 140K, 2012 JSW TDI A/T 50K, 2014 JSW TDI A/T 40K, Ross Tech VCDS-MOBILE
2009 Jetta Sportwagen poor mpg - EPA fix, engine/DSG tuned, new susp, tires & algnmt

Hello, Wondering what mpg others are getting in similar circumstances are getting. The Vehicle in question is a 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen with DSG transmission. The car has @ 165,000 and is in fairly good condition, it has had the emissions fix. @ 25,000 miles Prior to the fix I replaced timing belt w/kit (timing belt, rollers, water pump, acc belt). About 3,000 miles after the fix turbo died and I replaced, car was getting @ 36mpg hwy. I installed a Kerma tune and thought mileage might have improved (car was not driven much before starting other work) . Recently I replaced all springs, shocks & struts (rear springs were both broken)w/heavy duty 2"lift kit, installed 4 new Goodyear assurance comfort treads, had a 4 wheel alignment done, replaced all 4 rotors and pads and fully flushed brake fluid. While I had the car on jack stands in garage I also installed a DSG tune from Kerma. Upon retuning car to service noticed much improved drivability from transmission esp. from start up and at low speeds. Within a day or so, got glow plug light accompanied with CEL and code 001592 - throttle body actuator implausible signal. I removed TB and cleaned, replaced and cleared code, Mil & code returned (no glow plug lt) and then after a few local short drives Mil went out so I cleared code and let my daughter take car on a 300mi round trip mostly hwy at @65-70 mph. Car only got 36.5 mpg calculated w/actual miles and gallons used. The car rides very nice ( Koni shocks Suplex springs & new tires), tracks straight and is quiet. DSG tune seems good. I just expected mileage closer to 46. is anyone out there running Kerma tune with DSG tune in an 2009 Sportwagen? Any ideas?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Check to make sure the anti-shutter valve isn't partially closed. I believe that code you posted is related to the anti-shutter valve. Have you run a VCDS full scan on it? Also, may be worth checking how full the DPF is with VCDS. If you had the fix done, I wouldn't touch much and rely on that warranty.

As for the tune and fuel economy, the DSG tune shouldn't change your fuel economy much, especially on the freeway. An engine tune will improve fuel economy, but jeopardizes that warranty.

brkdrvr

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd manual 140K, 2012 JSW TDI A/T 50K, 2014 JSW TDI A/T 40K, Ross Tech VCDS-MOBILE
I pulled the anti-shudder cleaned and re-installed. Sent full VCDS to Kerma, they wondered if the thermostat was running the car cool, so far monitoring with idatalink in Pioneer radio the temp seems to be good at @185 running. The MIL illuminated w/code twice after i cleaned the valve and then MIL went out and I re-set code and have driven the car 400 miles without a new MIL. I am going to run another full scan and send to RossTech to see what they think.I just really expected to get at least 40-45 on hwy @ 60MPH, can't seem to break 38. I am wondering if I need a new Valve. Thx, Mike