VW Letter 23AK; Emissions Modification Correction

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I suspect many of you with T2 and T3 models got the letter. Mine was dated December 2019. Has anyone gone to a dealer yet to see what is involved? The letter says it will probably take an hour to install the new software and that a loaner car will be provided. They also state, "Updates in this service action will not adversely impact your vehicle's drivability, fuel economy, or warranty coverage."
I'm having a problem with the vehicle recognizing when I've topped up the AdBlue, and hence the countdown mileage began. The electrical lockout did occur and it had to be towed to a dealer to override the lockout. All seems to be working now, but I'm skeptical.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
My dealer was unaware of the recall DUH, is suppose to get back to me this wk. I seems it's optional and won't improve anything that isn't a problem. I will probably wait to see if I have an issue they discuss. I don't trust messing around with a perfect running machine.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
My dealer was unaware of the recall DUH, is suppose to get back to me this wk. I seems it's optional and won't improve anything that isn't a problem. I will probably wait to see if I have an issue they discuss. I don't trust messing around with a perfect running machine.
Good call. If I had not had a problem with the AdBlue not recognizing my refilling it, I wouldn't even consider it.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The copy of the letter I read from other owners seemed to indicate the software update is mostly targeting a common complaint about excessive hesitation when accelerating from a stop or a slow roll in certain situations.

More of a drivability improvement than anything else.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
That's odd. My letter didn't say anything about drivability. It mentioned an errant CEL and possible DPF replacement. I wonder if there are different letters floating around.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
That's odd. My letter didn't say anything about drivability. It mentioned an errant CEL and possible DPF replacement. I wonder if there are different letters floating around.
Went back and found it. Exact words were reduces likelihood of experiencing an "engine shudder" under certain situations. It mentioned it's a recalibration that is aimed at fixing check engine light that previously and erroneously was leading technicians to replacing the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) and adds to it that it may also fix a condition where, during warm up, the vehicle may have an engine shudder.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I'll be the guinea pig. Coolant leak wasn't fixed properly so I'll have to take it back in anyway and might as well get this done, too.

Doc.Strange

TDI
2016 Touareg V6
Got the letter as well, I have no issues with my 2016 so far (beside the acceleration lag), the only problem I have is with the total lack of knowledge from the techs at VW, I've had something new screwed up on my brand new Touareg every time i've gone to the dealer, so I avoid going unless absolutely necessary.
I'll wait for some feedback from Bizzle

radef

Veteran Member
TDI
16 Touareg Executive TDI, 06 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
I tried to get mine done yesterday while in for other service. The dealer investigated and found the software wouldn't be available to them until Jan 9th.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
I tried to get mine done yesterday while in for other service. The dealer investigated and found the software wouldn't be available to them until Jan 9th.
Same here.
At the dealer for 60k service. They said it was a software update and they did not have anything from corporate yet.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Got my 23AK letter.

I had the recall done and found no issues (before or after). Haven't driven a whole lot since but the day it was done - seems just fine.

Marty

TDI
2016 VW Touareg TDI Executive
We had the recall performed on our 2016 Touareg.

After driving it for three days and about 250 miles, on both highway and city roads, from 2,000 to 4,000 feet altitude, we can’t tell any difference in the way the vehicle drives. We can accelerate slowly or quickly, when the engine is cold or at normal operating temperature, with a light or heavy load, and the engine runs just fine. Engine noise, when cold or hot, is unobtrusive and sounds like it did before the software update was installed.

As for accelerator input lag, it isn’t an issue, nor was it an issue before the software update. Throttle response has always been great.

Finally, fuel economy seems unaffected by the recall.

So...our initial impressions of the recall (software update) are positive. At this point, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend having it done.

QZone

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Highline
I had the recall done on my 2013. The previous acceleration lag is gone and throttle response is much better - the vehicle feels a lot more "lively". No good data on fuel consumption yet.

quattroluvr

TDI
'05 TDI Passat GLS Wagon
I had the recall done on my 2013. The previous acceleration lag is gone and throttle response is much better - the vehicle feels a lot more "lively". No good data on fuel consumption yet.
Qzone, my 2013 has really annoying lag and non-linear throttle, whereas before the big dieselgate fix the throttle response was perfection like zipping around in my Golf R almost. Can you scan the notice or reply with a specific recall number? I want what your TDI has!!

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
I had it done on my 2016, same poor throttle response (the worst of any vehicle I've ever driven!) and lackluster economy (24 mph highway at 78 mph cruise). The throttle response made it a pain in the ass to drive so I sent the ECU to Malone for stage 2. No more dealing with VW's fubar job.