My $600 to $1300 B4 passat TDI

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm just grasping here but, is it possible that with the relief valve assembled correctly and tacked in place, my injection timing is now way off (since I set it when the valve was likely apart)? I'm not sure I understand exactly what is going on, but if the start of injection becomes too advanced or retarded (due to an incorrect baseline and a now functioning relief valve) is it possible the ecu reduces fuel to avoid catastrophe? Am I even close on my understanding of how this works?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yes that is very possible!

Group 004 will show you your requested timing, actual timing, and N108 duty cycle. The requested and actual should match very closely. When the valve starts to puke its guts out, usually it holds timing to about 3000rpm then starts to taper off, fall on its face and smoke. Here is a good example of that

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Will the ECU reduce fueling if timing is too far out of specified range? I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible so I can hopefully get the car working well before I leave for water fest tonight.

Last edited:

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
OK, well I may have another issue. Thanks for your input, I'll scan it when I get off work and create some logs. Hopefully it's a quick fix, otherwise I may be in the market for a pump. I'll post my findings.

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Drivability of the car is very good, good power, not overly smokey snd generally fun to drive. On the dyno however, the car was missing and not building full boost unless he let off and got back into it. Unfortunately I didn't think to log the run, so I'm not sure if I was over fueling or under fueling. The car repeated this behavior in the parking lot under no load while reving the engine to around 4k spooling the turbo and generating a cloud of "entertainment smoke". It actually stalled out and restarted smokey. Perhaps I need to increase my IQ up around the 5's?

HP: 145
TQ: 250

Last edited:

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Overall the weekend was a success. On the ride home, after about 100 miles the car started skipping, then completely running out of fuel. This was intermittent and acted as if the fuel solenoid shut off. On the worst occurrence, I was able to coast into a rest stop. I tried to restart tge car and on the 3rd attempt it finally started. I shut it off and left the hood up to cool off the car cool for 20 minutes. I restarted the car, checked IQ (now 5.2) and drove the next 70 miles with no issues. Any ideas. Dirty quantity adjuster? Worn Injection Pump? Electrical?

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Nice choice on the tires, I have been running them for a few years and am very pleased with them. They wear like iron, have great traction, and aren't too loud. They are very similar to traction to the Blizzak WS-60's I used to run but they're cheaper and last a lot longer. I run the 185/70-14's, which is a little taller and narrower than stock.

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Nice choice on the tires, I have been running them for a few years and am very pleased with them. They wear like iron, have great traction, and aren't too loud. They are very similar to traction to the Blizzak WS-60's I used to run but they're cheaper and last a lot longer. I run the 185/70-14's, which is a little taller and narrower than stock.
I can't fit the 14's, my calipers just barely clear my BBS 15's. It took some investigation to find some affordable 15's to run in the winter and the Saturn wheels turned out perfect. Do you run studs on your tires? I'm debating whether I should stud them or not. I ran on the 225/50/15's last winter and the car was fairly useless in the snow.

Leo0128

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI. 2005 Passat TDI
Hey fletcher I sold ya those leathers. I have the connectors and about a foot on each harness end. Want me to mail them to ya? Also what did you use to dye the carpet?

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Hey fletcher I sold ya those leathers. I have the connectors and about a foot on each harness end. Want me to mail them to ya? Also what did you use to dye the carpet?
I bought the full harness from someone, but thanks anyway. I just used flat black upholstery dye from the auto parts store, worked well.