Wanted to share this video with you guys...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Interesting. I like the comparo. Euro diesel automobiles ROCK...period :)

OTOH, HTF do you get a TDI to make 47mpg in one test and 32 in the subsequent test. I don't buy that. They need new batteries for their calculator. My '00 Jetta had a lifetime of 44mpg +/- 3. I'd estimate our B4 wagon at 42mpg +/-5. Over 10's of thousands of miles, that's where they operated. Never outside that range.

Something about that SMART car scares me. Not sure what it is. I know they're "safe" and all, but they just don't look like the buggy you should be riding in when soccer mummy t-bones you with the Escalade :eek:

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Nice... did they include the Ford Focus just so they would have a car that came in last for all tests? Gotta love it.

Good demo... Gotta send it to my "Buy American" Ford Focus pals. It shows the point that hybrids are better in start-and-stop city driving and TDI are better in high-speed highway driving. When I bought my 2006 Jetta TDI I factored in that my city/highway ratio is about 20/80 and I travel about 50,000 km/a. I looked at the VW Jetta TDI, Toyota Prius, Ford Focus, Honda Civic.

But ultimately, I liked the Jetta the best: best fit-and-finish, best drive characteristics, I could actually fit in it (unlike the Prius) and heated leather seats for those chilly Midwestern/Southwest Ontario mornings.

Sometimes a car is an appliance, sometimes it isn't.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
dieseldorf said:
(snip) they just don't look like the buggy you should be riding in when soccer mummy t-bones you with the Escalade :eek:
__. If you think soccer moms are scary, you've never had to deal with a drunk Mexican.

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
If the TDI's 'Carbon Footprint' is similar to the Prius, why do them enviro-mentals complain so much about diesels?

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Cool. Ready. Same test except...

let's try the new test loaded up with gear. Ya know, 2 more people in the car plus all their crap for a long weekend.

Then do the mountain test...and the 75 mph (85, really) test. And then the a/c on at 75 mph up the mountain test...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
mrGutWrench said:
__. If you think soccer moms are scary, you've never had to deal with a drunk Mexican.
Este es mi amigo: Sr. Don Julio :)

MrPolak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
Jetta's in-town MPG sucks! My Beetle, in strict city driving, gets 40MPG with A/C on.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I was very surprised with the results until I realized that the Smart was the American gas powered version. In Canada we get the diesel Smart, and I'm sure it would have won in every category.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
dieseldorf said:
Interesting. I like the comparo. Euro diesel automobiles ROCK...period :)

OTOH, HTF do you get a TDI to make 47mpg in one test and 32 in the subsequent test. I don't buy that.
I agree with you, 32mpg seems a little low unless they were red-lining it from red light to red light! But still not bad for a diesel ....

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
MrPolak said:
Jetta's in-town MPG sucks! My Beetle, in strict city driving, gets 40MPG with A/C on.
their test vehicle got 32mpg, that brought down the average by a lot, 20% less that you get!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
compu_85 said:
Maybee they forgot to vent ;) Or one pump was very foamy, and the next was very not-foamy.
The total distance traveled was only 676 miles -- so the Jetta would not have needed refueling.
1) Back roads to Vegas, 55-60 mph: 334 miles
2) in Vegas: 133 miles
3) back to SoCal at 75 mph: 209 miles.

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
Great video - and the comments support what is clear - rather have a Jetta than any of the other options - nicer ride, more room, and absolutely competitive when you look at MPG and greenhouse emissions as compared to the highest MPG achieving cars on the road. Hmmmm...a SMART or a Jetta?!?! Unless I needed to park it in NYC everyday, I'll take the Jetta hands-down.

Now, factor in home BD production, and who's the clear winner ;)

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
czar said:
Great video - and the comments support what is clear - rather have a Jetta than any of the other options - nicer ride, more room,
Not true, the Focus has more headroom (almost 2 inches front and rear), over 2.5 inches more rear legroom, more trunk space and passenger space. I would certainly take a 2008 Focus over a the 2005 Jetta tested. A 2008 Focus over my 2006 Jetta? No. But nearly 1 inch headroom does sound appealing in that Focus. My seats are broken in, still a little uncomfortable tilting the head in the Jetta...but a Focus 1.8 TDCi. Just give me headroom (6'6")!!!

sloguydoin75

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 2004 jetta wagen
The video was encouraging as I anticipate driving about 5,000 miles next month. But they forgot the ever important 100 - 120 mph for 2 hours for that quick trip to pick up your daughter at college for the summer break. I was impressed that it only got 40 mpg. Better yet I'm glad that our Texas DPS troopers were not on the road. Or I would still be trying to explain the fuel economy of this fine little Jet - ta me there. I really was impressed that little machine can really move and the tach and the speedo numbers do mean that this is a performance car.

KILL CARB and the US EPA

TDI
2011 Golf 2.0 tdi CR 6 spd
again i ask the question, if an excalade(ebonics) gets 8mpg but is alledgedly clean when c0, c02, 02, hc's and nox's are measured under load during testing. My VW gets 46mpg regularly supposedly puts out murderless(ebonics) amounts of nox and soot so harmful to children everywhere. but the lifetime consumption of the vw is what really means something to all of us right??? what gives EPA why could people not buy vw diesels only but sporadically in the usa something is not as it seems...

ratmonkey

TDI
2005 Jetta
CNN ran a story on these results and there is a running blog on Edmunds about the Jetta used in the test.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/category/cat.2005VolkswagenJettaGLSTDI

It is an 05.0' PD with a manual 5 speed if memory serves. There was one blog on edmunds that talks about his discovery of venting, so I don't think it some TDI fanatic driving this thing. The 32mpg in the city was probably due to quick starts and stops. I don't think they are pulling out of every light making sure that the tach doesn't break the 2k mark, but probably driving like your average Joe.