02 jetta tdi auto intermittently stuck in park

actmobmar

TDI
02 jetta
every once in a while, w/ the engine running, the car will not come out of park, it reminds me of when the brakelite switch failed(same symptom), but this time when you press the brake the brake lites work and the lite by the shifter goes off, any suggestions?

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
did you spill any drinks on the shift area? if so, its possable you shorted the shift release servo. just an idea.

actmobmar

TDI
02 jetta
is that something that can be taken apart and cleaned?? how does this system work?? i know w/ the key off the shifter is locked, so i am assuming the key must be on, foot on brake, and then what?? i appreciate the help, its my wifes car, so i kinda need to fix it quickly!!!

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
it has a solenoid somewhere in the dash... you should hear a clunk noise when you hit the break that releases the park safety interlock.

worst case scenario, just put the key to just before on, and pull the car into neutral, then start it.

I'd still look into the brake switch... is it the green switch?

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
Sometime the solenoids fail. The solenoid is in the shifter assembly, it is a PITA to replace and cost an obscene amount of money. If you are lucky there is just some pepsi spilled in there or something.