Oil changes after 100,000 miles

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I have heard of people pulling the head ar 400K miles and they posted pictures showing the factory cross hatches on the cylinder walls still visible.
410K miles is impressive considering 20K OCI's. At your present mileage, you saved $4,000 to $5,000 over people that have the ridiculous idea oil and filters needs to be changed at 3K to 4K miles.
I did a head gasket around 390k and that is what I saw. My Y2K NB was treated the same way and was sold at just over 400k still running great and with great compression. Keep in mind that both vehicles were/are driven 90% highway and not slowly ;).

Last edited:

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
So far I haven't had to add any oil between changes, even when towing up in the mountains.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
In every TDI I have owned they take about one pint at 7500 miles on a 10k change interval. Mobil 1 Delvac.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Same here. I added nearly a full quart during one interval that included a 5500 mile road trip.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Same here. I added nearly a full quart during one interval that included a 5500 mile road trip.

I think it’s the norm for these cars and if u are running them down the road doings 75 to 85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn, I'd better start checking my oil. I've become lazy and if my oil pressure is good and the engine temp is good I don't bother checking the oil level, and the mechanic I have do the oil change never mentioned it being low when I took it in for an oil change.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn, I'd better start checking my oil. I've become lazy and if my oil pressure is good and the engine temp is good I don't bother checking the oil level, and the mechanic I have do the oil change never mentioned it being low when I took it in for an oil change.

Good idea to look at it at every fuel up or once every weekend also on my 2015 Jetta if the oil gets to low a yellow oil can light comes up on the instrument cluster take a littler over quart to bring back up to mid range on dip stick . I believe what resets the lights is opening the hood and closing it.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
If my oil light never comes on and the temp and oil pressure gauges both read good, am I doing any damage if it runs a pint low or so between oil changes?

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
If my oil light never comes on and the temp and oil pressure gauges both read good, am I doing any damage if it runs a pint low or so between oil changes?

Not going to kill it but if u no your car use oil I would keep a eye on it and add when needed .

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
skromfols, you mention rattlesnakes around your house. Are you aware that "moth balls" irritate their Jacob's organ tissues and cause them to find other places to hang out? I do not believe a pint low could cause trouble, unless you were at WOT in a hard turn at high speed and starve the engine for oil pressure even momentarily is bad on turbos.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Nevada_TDI, I hesitate to castrate a bunch of moths in order to keep rattlesnakes away. Well, to be honest, I'm too lazy to try catching that many moths and my eyesight isn't good enough to do what's necessary. But thanks for the information.