Curious rising oil level

eddielisenbey

TDI
None yet
I have noticed the last two times I changed my oil it seemed to be a quart higher than when I filled it. I also noted that despite the lack of a leak I have had to fill the coolant resivoir twice as well. My hypothesis is that there is a communication between the coolant and oil that is allowing coolant into the oil system. Has anyone had this same thing happen to them? Any ideas of where to start? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Does your car have an oil cooler? I'm going to guess that it does since you are on a TDI site, but we don't know anything about this car that you are asking about.

Year? Mileage?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
We suspect the oil cooler is leaking coolant into the oil. The cooler is located under the oil filter housing with two coolant hoses attached.
Some refer to it as a heat exchanger and is under the oil filter housing.
At least that is how my 05 Golf is set up.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
eddielisenbey said:
I have noticed the last two times I changed my oil it seemed to be a quart higher than when I filled it. I also noted that despite the lack of a leak I have had to fill the coolant resivoir twice as well. My hypothesis is that there is a communication between the coolant and oil that is allowing coolant into the oil system. Has anyone had this same thing happen to them? Any ideas of where to start? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Any WVO or VO usage?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Ungood. That throws in a huge variable that you failed to mention that just throws out all previous gusses.

Big Dog, thanks for asking the question.

Is the rising oil level from the WVO? Is the low coolant level from a leak? Go back to what DD said and get an oil analysis done to find out if you have coolant in you oil of WVO.

eddielisenbey

TDI
None yet
I was concerned about that as well. I stopped using VO and the problem persisted. How to you get oil analysis done? There are no leaking fluids while the car is still in my garage. I suppose fluid could leak while going down the road though.

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Put that thing on ebay because that is where most of TDI's that have been on WVO end up.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Car is trashed, keep on driving it until it has to be towed to a junk yard.

DB

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Rescue mission transitioning to a salvage operation.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
So you have used WVO. Did you have a kit installed, if so what kind? Or were you putting it in the main tank? How many miles did you run WVO? What were your oil change intervals?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Drivbiwire said:
Car is trashed, keep on driving it until it has to be towed to a junk yard.

DB
Agree with DBW...damage is done. See how long you can limp the ol' greasy girl along. If I were you, go buy some Rotella or other cheaper oil and keep changing it every 3-5k to keep the wear to a minimum.

If the rest of the car is in decent shape, keep your eyes open for a used engine. If you have a grease kit, sell it to some other poor unsuspecting schlub to help finance your repairs. If you don't have a kit...what did you expect would happen from running grease?

Good luck...hopefully you saved about $3000+ from running veggie instead of D2. :rolleyes:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Geez, guys. OP has a car that starts well, runs well, and only complaint is loss of coolant and rising oil level. Does not seem trashed fatally yet.

If coolant is going in oil, the underside of the oil fill cap usually has "milkshake" on it. Emulsified coolant and oil. If bottom of cap is just oily and black, coolant is probably not going in oil. A sample would tell for sure.

Rising oil level on wvo means wvo is probably condensing on cylinder walls and mixing with lube.

Quit running wvo, and do a few quick oil changes (do one now, then one in 500 miles, then one in maybe 2000 miles), and monitor it.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Come to think of it, it is likely the VO that is raising the oil level. Rings are probably sticking. Coolant in the oil should be very noticeable, it gets milky beyond just the oil cap.

There is probably a coolant leak somewhere else. EGR cooler, water pump, metal coolant pipe o-ring, CTS o-ring, coolant flange are all likely sources.

Get a UOA to see what is in there. Then change the oil, check compression and quit running VO.