Charging Mk7 Battery

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've had my Mk7 GSW (Highline / SEL with KESSY) parked for about six weeks now - been traveling and having fun in the Mk4 and snow :D - and when checking a VCDS setting today (didn't start engine), I got a "12V battery is low...turn off accessories" or something like that.

So - figuring that I should top up the battery before I get it on the road again, I'm wondering if any fussing needs to be done with the battery charging, or do I just plug in my old-timey Canadian Tire (20yr. old version of this) and wait for the light to turn green?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That charger will work great. Use the lower 2 amp setting and let it charge overnight preferably.

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
I've been charging my Mk7 battery normally (with a trickle charger), no special treatment, and it's fine.

You do know to keep your Mk7 locked, as the battery drains faster when it is unlocked?
I found that out the hard way...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
locked or unlocked I think it has more to do with the proximity of the kessy key? keep it 20-40 feet away otherwise the car will be waiting for you to start it or prevent it from "going to sleep". I believe it also helps save the kessy battery life.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My battery drained fairly quickly. The car was sitting and not being driven, though.
Like 740GLE mentioned, that could have been due to the key being in range. Was the key hanging/stored close enough to keep communicating with the car while it was sitting?

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
Like 740GLE mentioned, that could have been due to the key being in range. Was the key hanging/stored close enough to keep communicating with the car while it was sitting?
The key was probably 50 or 60 feet away, but that is probably a moot point as I don't have Keyless Entry.

From page 313 in my owner's manual:

"What drains the vehicle battery?...
Leaving the vehicle unlocked for several days when not in use..."

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I wonder if that applies to your model. The control system is probably left listening for a lock signal on a keyless entry system, but I don't know why that would affect you if you don't have keyless entry.

But are you talking about keyless entry or KESSY? Even my '98 has keyless entry.

Last edited:

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Was the key hanging/stored close enough to keep communicating with the car while it was sitting?

Car: Whatcha doing over there baby
Key: Just hanging out, maybe waiting for somebody to pick me up
Car: mmmm wish they would pick you up and bring you over to me
Key: Do I turn you on?
Car: Yeah baby you do
Key: Well maybe I will slide right in then
Car: Oh yeah get me started baby
Key: You getting hot?
Car: Don't be ridiculous, I'm a diesel and it takes forever to get me hot.